Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor - Complete Setup Video (Dx6i)

Hi All,

Here is a video I made showing the complete setup of KDS Flymentor 3D on a HK450 using a Spektrum Dx6i.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCDalzpETA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCDalzpETA
Watch it in HD

Hope it helps
IvanB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

NICE JOB!!!!
Thanx just having some one verify everthing I've done is huge, I'm a noob thanks again!
TRB67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Your welcome! TRB67,

I too am a noob, and I would have loved this video for my setup. Glad it helped...wasn't sure if the video was working for people..been a fair bit of viewing, but no comments to let me know..particularly from those who have been giving advice on this for such a long time.
Thanks for responding!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanB View Post
Hi All,

Here is a video I made showing the complete setup of KDS Flymentor 3D on a HK450 using a Spektrum Dx6i.

Flymentor - Complete Setup Video (Dx6i)

Watch it in HD

Hope it helps
Your vid has me just a bit. (starting at 7:44 of your vid... Pitch and Elevator stick commands)

Just for clarification, what "Mode" do you fly in?

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Brian,

My Dx6i is MODE-1 (Right stick = throttle(pitch)/Ailerons)(Left stick = elevator/rudder) that's what we use here in Oz.

You (being in the US) are most likely using Mode-2 (Right stick = Elevator/Ailerons)(Left stick = Throttle(pitch)/rudder) It doesn't really matter as long as the stick direction you are testing, is moving the servos in the correct direction...if not reverse that servo and it should..Set one stick input at a time.

In the video i failed to show the elevator input before reversing it , but it was incorrect, that's why I reversed it.

Someone wrote this out.

Mode 1 Left Stick-Vertical/Elevator Horizontal/Rudder
Right stick-Vertical/Throttle Horizontal/Aileron

Mode 2 Left Stick-Vertical/Throttle Horizontal/Rudder
Right Stick-Vertical/Elevator Horizontal/Aileron
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanB View Post
Hi Bri,

My Dx6i is MODE-1 (right stick = throttle/Ailerons)(left stick = elevator/rudder) that's what we use here in Oz.

You (being in the US) are most likely using Mode-2 (right stick = Elevator/Ailerons)(left stick = Throttle/rudder) It doesn't really matter as long as the stick direction you are testing, is moving the servos in the correct direction...if not reverse that servo and it should..Set one stick input at a time.
Thank you for the clarification Ivan.

You are correct on Mode2 being pretty much standard for us here in the U.S.

Your vid just took me by surprise when I watched it. Good job on the video, it is sure to help others out with their setups.

As for me, I am using a Co Pilot-II at the moment. I have been doing some research on the HeliCommand HC3sx, as nightflyr is setting one up (probably as we speak). The DJI products are out of my reach at this time, and will probably be so until I win the lottery.

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your welcome!

Stabilizing systems are awesome!, they really let you throw the heli around with confidence. I just finished another 450 (Normal setup) and there was a big difference between the standard setup and a Stabilizing system setup....FM is a bit like a coaxial heli....still have to fly it, but its easier.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up FM Help Big Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to post the video. I was so close, yet so far away. I have this set up in a scale EC-135 using the Gaui 425, hyperion cyclic, align tail, orange reciver,pheniox ice 100 ECS, castel creations motor, running 2 3 cell lipos 2200 mah 25c, turning main rotor head at around 2100rpm, and using the DX6i. It flies, need to tweek for comfort.
Ghetto bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are your expert settings all at the default settings?

i picked up a used flymentor and decided to reset everything for factory defaults when i installed it. when doing that it seems that my default settings are totally diffrent then yours.

what would you recommend for a default settings in the expert sections?
jfodor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your welcome Ghetto!

jfodor, As far as the settings go, I started the video off with a new default setup.

In the video I show the program box settings that need to be set, and where you would find those settings in the software...everything else was left alone.

In the manual it goes through each setting in the "gyro expert & advanced expert" area and pretty much says, unless your an expert leave settings at default. (page 21-27) I recommend to leave them at default.

My heli fly's just fine and there's a fair few settings I left alone. What are you using to program fm?

Here's the results:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrPh0AiPHh8[/ame]
Old 06-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm just using the usb interface and the helibal software.

i'm going to check my defaults agianst yours as i can't load it here with out the heli hooked up. but i swear they are way different. i'll probably test fly it tonight as well i hope.
jfodor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation I HAVE A QUESTION

My bird flies great with FM off. When I had it on the bench checking everything out,(switching on the TX and FM) when I put it in horozontail or position the swash moves around quite a bit. Tred to fly it in these modes and the heli wants to roll itself. Any suggestions.
Ghetto bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vibrations vibrations and check gains.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jfodor. There is a very good chance that yours is different, cos my software images in the video were grabs from the manual...not from the actual software, as I cant get it to run on my win7 system..I think the manual is pretty old, and the software has probably been updated.
Ghetto, my swash plates moves are very subtle, I agree with pril250, check your gyro mounting, and it doesn't hurt to lower the gains...heli will still fly, but with less assistance.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey people,

Here's an update.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBdyJCvKDg[/ame]
Old 06-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile FM finally working

Thank you for posting this video! I have had a flymentor since christmas and have been fighting it ever since. It crashed me 5 times, so i thought it was defective. I threw it back in its box. This week I thought what the heck, lets give it another try. I followed every step in the video and shazzam, it works. Now I guess I will have to find something new to waste my paintballs on this weekend. Thank you so much for posting that video.
EXI 450 Pro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXI 450 Pro View Post
Thank you for posting this video! I have had a flymentor since christmas and have been fighting it ever since. It crashed me 5 times, so i thought it was defective. I threw it back in its box. This week I thought what the heck, lets give it another try. I followed every step in the video and shazzam, it works. Now I guess I will have to find something new to waste my paintballs on this weekend. Thank you so much for posting that video.
Your Welcome!!

Did I misunderstand, or were you shooting at your heli with paintballs?, or was that some sort of metaphor?? . Now you can now set your heli in position mode , put the TX down..grab your paintball gun and go nuts.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

You see..This is what happens when you play with Flymentor too much!

I decided to take another of my 450's (normal setup) for a hover ...This is what happens when you get too used to stabilization...tends to make you lazy

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQinPIAAjE[/ame]
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Flymentor

Ya, It was a metaphor. Haha. no person in their right mind would shoot at their heli fllying. I was just thinking of how I would have taken my anger out on the flymentor if it hadn't have worked and crashed my heli for the billionth time. the flymentor works well, but it has a little drift. how should I correct this? maybe re set the swash in the software and re trim it a little?
EXI 450 Pro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your right...who would shoot at their heli

With the drift...I just used the "servo neutral" or a couple of clicks on the the TX trim (not sub trim) My scale heli is perfectly balanced (with battery tray mod), but I have +10 or so for elevator (servo neutral), even though it was setup with swash tool in off mode etc.

I did notice, that when I go from "off" mode (swash set correctly) to say "balance" mode...the swash will move, or sit uneven. That's because the heli is not perfectly level when sitting on desk and FM is trying to correct for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in