Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Dragonus

Dragonus Dragonus Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Dragonus 2+ Setup Questions

Hello to the group.
My new Dragonus II+ kit arrived from Hobby-People today and I have a couple of questions about the setup for it.

First as I understand it the rotor head is able to be tuned to best suit the owners flying style but I am not finding any info in the manual about how to do it, I am not into 3d or wild aerobatics, mostly hovering and scale type flight, what would the best settings on the rotorhead for that?

Second what would be the best range of headspeed to run it at, I am planning on using a HDX 450-3200Kv motor that already has a 11 tooth pinion on it and a Electrifly Hermes 35A esc that I removed from my old beatup Art-Tech Falcon 400 and will be running on 3s 2200 mah lipo packs. If I am doing the math correctly that should give me a max headspeed of 2600 rpm and a govenered 80% throttle headspeed of about 2100 rpm, is that too low?

Third in the finless bob videos he shows using only one guide pin for the swash follower but in the manual it shows 2 pins and the parts kit came with 2 pins, should I use both or only one?

That all that I can think of for now but I am sure that I will have more questions to ask as the build progresses.
Thanks In Advance
Peace
Spike

Last edited by SpikeB; 02-24-2010 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Fix A Typo
SpikeB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

for the headspeed, you will probably want to keep it up around 2600-3200 with carbon fibre blades (you could do it with woodies, but I think the stress might be a bit too much for them). if you only have woodies probably look at 2800 max.

at the moment I am running a 13 tooth pinon which is what was recommended to me.

the guide pins should already be installed in the head block already ( i am assuming you are talking about the pins used to guide the washout block on the main shaft).

As for the settings on the head, http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i..._page=draginfo
marty_one is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Marty_one
That link was just what I was looking for and told me what I need to know to setup the rotorhead the for the way I fly. It looks like I am going to be changing out the pinion gear for a 12-13 tooth gear to get the headspeed where it needs to be. Just my luck that the only part that I lost on the airframe build was one of the guide pins for the washout block/swash follower that I was asking about in question 3 of the original post. Have the airframe put together and am now waiting on a shipment from Hong Kong that has the new servos, 2.4 Ghz RXs & TX module,the price of 2.4 Ghz gear has fallen to the point that it is about even with the older 72 Mhz gear so I am changing my Hitec Optic6 Tx and the rest of my hanger over to 2.4 Ghz from 72 Mhz.

Does anyone know if the pinion gears that come with the kit are 3 mm bore or 3.17 mm bore?

Thanks
Spike B
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

they are 3 mm so you will need to get the 3.17mm pinons. i had to get the 3.17 mm pinions as I am running a scorpion 2221-10.

you will never look back once you get the 2.4 gear installed, no more long receiver wires or aerials.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Marty

I decided to try to enlarge the bore of the 13 tooth pinion gear that came with the kit from 3mm to 3.17mm (1/8 inch) and it worked, have it mounted on the motor and motor installed in the airframe and tested without the rotor blades installed. The shipment from HK arrived yesterday so I was busy all night mounting the servos and electronics. Today I do the final adjustments and paint the canopy, I hope to do the maiden flight as soon as the weather cooperates. Does it matter if I don't cut away the part of the canopy that covers the main gear? All the pictures of the stock Dragonus canopy I have seen had it cut away exposing the main gear, I would like to leave those pieces on the canopy and covering the main gear. The canopy doesn't contact the main gear with the pieces still on and the motor I am useing has a cooling fan built into it so I don't think keeping it cool will be a problem.
Peace
Spike
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

be very careful about using that pinion, reason being is that, if the bore is not exactly center on the pinion there is a high chance that you may cause un-even wear on the main gear. it might be alright for the time being, but I would definately order a 3.17mm pinion and a new main gear.

with the canopy, its best to cut away the areas covering the main gear. for one reason it looks better. but when you crash the main gear will dig in to the canopy, meaning that you will have to replace it regularly if you crash often.

Regards
Martin.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They still make these?
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in