Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba BLS276sv dry turn noise and uneven resistance

Hi all,

I have always been a big fan of futaba products. I recently bought a set of 3 BLS253 for logo 600 sx cyclic and one BLS276SV for rudder.

However, the BLS276 has some weird situation during dry turn (turn by hand without power on)
1. noise that sounds like crashing glass, what made it worse is the inconsistency throught the travel
2. inconsistent resistance. From the most counterclockwise zero position, 1/4 travel and 5/8 travel are two spots that give more resistance than other positions. So for example, if I apply a consistent force to turn the servo horn slowly either direction, the horn would be mildly stuck at these two positions unless I apply a little more force. I do not dare to mount it with power unless I am sure this is normal.

The 3 BLS253s that I bought do not exhibit this behavior. All my other servos, such as JR 3500G, MKS DS95/DS95i and many other savox servos do not either.

Can anyone please tell me if it is normal for BLS274 rudder servo? or maybe other rudder servos such as BLS251 have the same behavior? I need to decide whether to return the servo.

Many thanks in advance.
amphibia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have several of these servos, some exhibit some very minor sticking at those same points, others do not. I would not sweat it, all of mine are performing perfectly.

The BLS276SV uses all plastic gears except for the output gear. These are mass injection molded, and there is some some variance from mold cavity to mold cavity. I suspect this leading to a tiny bit of variance in the mesh, and it's what you're feeling.
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post
I have several of these servos, some exhibit some very minor sticking at those same points, others do not. I would not sweat it, all of mine are performing perfectly.

The BLS276SV uses all plastic gears except for the output gear. These are mass injection molded, and there is some some variance from mold cavity to mold cavity. I suspect this leading to a tiny bit of variance in the mesh, and it's what you're feeling.
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, having at least one plastic/nylon gear is what attracted me to the high end futaba brushless servos bls253/bls276. I always like the idea of a well designed product with sacrificial components.

I say this to compare futaba BLS servos against other high end servos like mks servos. With due respect, I love the MKS DS95/95i on my forza 450ex. But for bigger birds, I do not like the idea of full metal gears. I could be wrong but I feel a crashing with metal gear servos will not only destroy gears but also potentially ruin shaft/motor/position sensor/case/circuit. In fact, I do not think full metal gear should even be marketed as a positive feature.

But on another thought, choosing a servo with at least one sacrificial plastic/nylon gear would require faith in the brand's commitment to test their product thoroughly.

So back to my servos, based on what you say, I guess I would just plug it into vbar to see how it goes.

Thanks again.
amphibia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchekas View Post

Do they just have plastic gears for BLS276SV? Is there a metal gear upgrade set?
prokyon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokyon View Post
Do they just have plastic gears for BLS276SV? Is there a metal gear upgrade set?
Not that I've seen. I think as was stated the whole point is not to go full metal for tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in