Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Must have changed?

Ok I have been seeing compass in threads everywhere like never before. I'm totally stoked on their head design and have yet to try it or any of the copies. I do believe they must be on to something because the head designs have been popping up everywhere on other heli's. I will be trying this head very soon.
What I wonder is did compass change the quality in their current heli's? The reason I asked is because a long ass time ago I bought a knight 3d nitro. This heli was so poorly made and such junk (IMO GUYS) I couldn't barely give it away. Granted this was when the heli first came out. I'm not for sure if this was their very first model and even the very first batch but I had all sorts of problems with missing parts, ill fitting parts, super crappy canopy that was thin and ill formed and cracked and just looked like all the pieces where made cheaply as possible.
Now I realize I'm probably going to get a biased or maybe even a fanboy response posting this in the compass forums. With that being said does anyone recall that model and can compare it to their current line up. Like are the parts super better now? I'm guessing they must be because why would so many people be raving over them? Like I said I'm definitely trying the head but if the rest of the bird is super hi quality I may look at the airframe again. Like I said my first experience with them was a complete waste. Granted this has got to be at least 6 or 7 years ago. So what is the scoop? Product improvement overtime or what?
shannimal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you won't be dissapointed now , got the 6HV and a friend got the Atom 550 ( stretched 500 ) and we couldn't be happier
the only thing I don't like with compass is the distributor problem , would really like to buy part from Nankins cos of the prises and stock items but he wont sell to EU
Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah the 6HV is a brilliant heli, the plastic parts leave a little to be desired, but the quality of the Aluminium, CF and CNC work is very good, not as polished and shiny, but accurate and tough.

Nankin have revised their policy on selling outside the US, so pretty much anyone can order from them now, including (Sweden and Norway, just checked).

AMA#1058309
Mon_t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats good news ,
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

From my point of view the Compass lineup is simply stunning when it comes to a quality product and customer service per dollar spent on the heli.

I have two. One 6hv and one Atom 500, both of which are great in quality. And i am highly considering a 7hv as well.

One could say that they cut corners here and there. Do I agree? Sure I do, but the corners were cut at the right places. And for the issues that they've had, they have fixed or are in the process of fixing them.

What i don't understand is the fact they get bashed at points for being a second rate heli for no other reason but being inexpensive compared to the competition. But in this case, you are getting a great Heli that keeps up with the competition, and is priced very aggressively, not built and marketed cheaply.

The above may be a biased comment, but i am trying to stay neutral.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
superrmario is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon_t View Post
Yeah the 6HV is a brilliant heli, the plastic parts leave a little to be desired, but the quality of the Aluminium, CF and CNC work is very good, not as polished and shiny, but accurate and tough.

Nankin have revised their policy on selling outside the US, so pretty much anyone can order from them now, including (Sweden and Norway, just checked).
+1
6HV is awesome.....
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrmario View Post

What i don't understand is the fact they get bashed at points for being a second rate heli for no other reason but being inexpensive compared to the competition. But in this case, you are getting a great Heli that keeps up with the competition, and is priced very aggressively, not built and marketed cheaply.
The thing is, it comes from people who've never flown one, and need to feel better about themselves for buying xyz heli.

AMA#1058309
Mon_t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

keep in mind by your own words your experience with Compass was years ago,all companies go through growing pains and learn from their mistakes and get better,I hate to always refer to Align but I have to give credit where credit is due.their first version of the 450 wasn't exactly a study in engineering excellence and look where they are today,they are without a doubt #1 in rc helis.

Compass has made a serious effort to improve their image by improving parts quality,cust service, and QC while trying to bring some original ideas to the table.the final product of this is the growth and positive responce we are getting on the forums today,and the only reason for this is the helis are where they need to be,the rest is just icing on the cake
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
I think you won't be dissapointed now , got the 6HV and a friend got the Atom 550 ( stretched 500 ) and we couldn't be happier
the only thing I don't like with compass is the distributor problem , would really like to buy part from Nankins cos of the prises and stock items but he wont sell to EU
Experience R/C sells all over the world and they are 15 minutes from Nankin and they keep everything in stock.
Thunderpower Batteries
r1sportbike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderstrat View Post
keep in mind by your own words your experience with Compass was years ago,all companies go through growing pains and learn from their mistakes and get better,I hate to always refer to Align but I have to give credit where credit is due.their first version of the 450 wasn't exactly a study in engineering excellence and look where they are today,they are without a doubt #1 in rc helis.
You seem like a logical person. I do agree with you totally on the evolution of something like the align. I remember those days also and you are right, they were still very juvenile by their standards today. I would only expect that compass would go through the same evolutionary process. I haven't seen any of their products in person yet but I'm going to keep my eye peeled. Once the warp comes out I might be interested in trying that model out.

Shannimal
Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM sent. <--- local to you. You are more than welcome to check out my birds.
Mindance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

hellacool,

Let me preface this by stating that I am a Fanboy (ok, technically a "fan geezer").

I have one of the very early Knight 3D's (I actually also have a Knight Pro/Knight 50, which pre-dates it).

I had several issues with it:

1) The canopy, as you mentioned, cracked (specifically, the windshield). I replaced it with a second generation canopy (which was a different style, requiring that I drill new holes in it and change the front canopy mount). I bought two windshields, so I could have a spare (assuming the new one would also crack). The spare windshield is still on the shelf, so I assume they changed the plastic.

2) I had one motor mount screw break and had to remove it and replace it.

3) I have worn out three sets of ball links on the tail pushrod (both ends). I found they had to be changed every 50-70 flights.

4) The fuel line in the tank had to be replaced (it was the same as Align and Thunder Tigers, and did not survive long in service).

5) The main gear on mine was one of the early black main gears, which had issues shedding teeth. I replaced it with a white one (there were no issues with the white ones). This was done prior to flying.

6) I replaced the 6mm spindle as the early ones were known to be soft. Later models were updated to an 8mm spindle.

So you were correct, you did get a Fanboy response. My original Knight 3D is still flying and still in good shape after four of five years (it is my avatar on this forum).

Sometimes people have really different experiences with the very same piece of equipment.

I have had no issues with the Atom, the 6HV, or the 7HV.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacool View Post
You seem like a logical person. I do agree with you totally on the evolution of something like the align. I remember those days also and you are right, they were still very juvenile by their standards today. I would only expect that compass would go through the same evolutionary process. I haven't seen any of their products in person yet but I'm going to keep my eye peeled. Once the warp comes out I might be interested in trying that model out.

Shannimal

Hehehe I totally agree hellacool, just a few years ago Compass made some INTERESTING choices in their pilots/reps and distributors. They really didn't do themselves any favors with the old system. I think Mike and Dave over at Nankin have really done a proper job of putting a professional face on Compass here in north america.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
hellacool,

Let me preface this by stating that I am a Fanboy (ok, technically a "fan geezer").

I have one of the very early Knight 3D's (I actually also have a Knight Pro/Knight 50, which pre-dates it).

I had several issues with it:

1) The canopy, as you mentioned, cracked (specifically, the windshield). I replaced it with a second generation canopy (which was a different style, requiring that I drill new holes in it and change the front canopy mount). I bought two windshields, so I could have a spare (assuming the new one would also crack). The spare windshield is still on the shelf, so I assume they changed the plastic.

2) I had one motor mount screw break and had to remove it and replace it.

3) I have worn out three sets of ball links on the tail pushrod (both ends). I found they had to be changed every 50-70 flights.

4) The fuel line in the tank had to be replaced (it was the same as Align and Thunder Tigers, and did not survive long in service).

5) The main gear on mine was one of the early black main gears, which had issues shedding teeth. I replaced it with a white one (there were no issues with the white ones). This was done prior to flying.

6) I replaced the 6mm spindle as the early ones were known to be soft. Later models were updated to an 8mm spindle.

So you were correct, you did get a Fanboy response. My original Knight 3D is still flying and still in good shape after four of five years (it is my avatar on this forum).

Sometimes people have really different experiences with the very same piece of equipment.

I have had no issues with the Atom, the 6HV, or the 7HV.
I've been hanging out here for a while and there ain't a soul on here with more experience or knowledge with defying heli gravity than Ah Clem, not even Finless.... best as I can tell. He has helped me out multiple times.....

Last edited by sarpilot; 01-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: added detail
sarpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deleted

Last edited by sarpilot; 01-05-2012 at 04:18 PM..
sarpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Hehehe I totally agree hellacool, just a few years ago Compass made some INTERESTING choices in their pilots/reps and distributors. They really didn't do themselves any favors with the old system. I think Mike and Dave over at Nankin have really done a proper job of putting a professional face on Compass here in north america.
Mike and Dave certainly have been a stabilizing influence. In the short time I've had Compass helis, there have been four distributors come and go (KBDD, Common Sense RC, Esprit, and A Main). KBDD passed off to CSRC because it was just too much for them to handle. CSRC and Compass had a falling-out, after which Nankin, Esprit, and A Main took over as co-distributors. Esprit apparently decided there weren't enough sales in Compass gear and I'm not sure what happened with A Main, who is now back as a dealer. Things are as smooth now as they've ever been in my experience with Compass.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just as a side (Fanboy) note, the Knight 3D is still the best flying .50 sized Nitro machine I have flown to date.

I have not flown a 3D plus.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The K3D was good. But the 6HV was a game changer.
hornet dave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good hanging out this morning. Was able to show him my Compass models.
His whiplash though. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM so smexy.
Mindance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in