Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRabit View Post

BTW for the next speeding event in germany there is mandantory safety helmets.
Because of the blade stalls causing crazy physics stuff and things?
HorizonHobbyFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Man killed in toy helicopter accident in Brooklyn

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...222576101.html

No words, just very sad.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Re , nets etc, i stand behind a heavy 16ga. ? Wire mesh + re-bar , not chicken wire. I have my own field . I would love to fly a bigger field like my neighbors but I'm unwilling to take the risk or put others in danger. Worst I've done is crash a 130 a few ft in front , and never close w/ the larger ones. I am always amazed to see people so close at take off & other stuff.
Stay safe,,
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Well, CNN (and several other networks) has it:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/05/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

"Toy" in every headline I've seen.
Yep it's gone viral, and that has me worried. The reason this hobby has lasted as long as it has without regulation is it's been largely under the radar.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight62 View Post
Too hot and it would scratch and become cloudy... I'm talking maybe strong chicken wire.. The cage would be for just one person at a time.. Something to scrub off the force of the blades.. Keep the ideas coming please...
Corse grid made out of rebar would work just fine. Just need something for the blades to hit and shatter on.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Yep it's gone viral, and that has me worried. The reason this hobby has lasted as long as it has without regulation is it's been largely under the radar.
Yeah, made it to the norwegian media as well now, all the newssites has this on their page now.

- Lynx Team Pilot -
felborn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
I have a simpler solution. Don't do smack down 3D 3 ft in front of yourself. If you are flying hard, you should leave some space so that you can react if something goes bad. Today's flying has become so extreme that some neglect basic safety.
It would suck to get hit, but you should allow yourself time to get your hands up.

- T-Rex 450 DFC 3GX, 500E PRO w/ IKON

Last edited by Daddy B; 09-06-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Daddy B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hit and killed by a TREX 700

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elicopter.html
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hit and Killed by a TREX 700

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elicopter.html
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
I guess maybe a tough polymer net taut between two tall firmly anchored poles. Not a materials engineer so no idea what the net should be made of, but I guess the spacing could be wide enough that it'll prevent a big blade from intruding too far behind the line described by the poles without impeding vision, the net strong and taut enough to likewise take the blow from a 5 kg heli hurtling in at 100 mph. Again sounds expensive.
This reminds me. I fly at a soccer field and when I have my son I make him stay inside one of the soccer goals for safety. The large loose net I'm pretty sure would stop the Heli. But from now on I'm leaving him home.

TS3D#1
NanoCPX, TREX500DFC,
TREX700DFC HV, DX8
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

RIP.......prayers go out to his family.

Might want to keep an eye out on the legislature up there as well for the next couple of weeks. Our politicians lately have a nasty habit of donning their nanny state capes when a sad incident like this occurs with no idea of what they're talking about.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is why we should be flying these models at a safe distance to ourselves. Makes me so nervous when people fly so close to themselves.
TwinTurbo95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
RIP.......prayers go out to his family.

Might want to keep an eye out on the legislature up there as well for the next couple of weeks. Our politicians lately have a nasty habit of donning their nanny state capes when a sad incident like this occurs with no idea of what they're talking about.

+1 billion or so

tragic as it is you cannot legislate this out of existence.
raisinjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sad but not surprised. A talented young man taken away because of poor judgement regarding a most basic concept; safety...

As long as pilots choose to smack a heli in their face, the risk is manifested. Fly a safe distance and risk is negated accordingly.
AgustaOEXFH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustaOEXFH View Post
Sad but not surprised. A talented young man taken away because of poor judgement regarding a most basic concept; safety...

As long as pilots choose to smack a heli in their face, the risk is manifested. Fly a safe distance and risk is negated accordingly.
A bit unfair to question anybody's judgement without knowing much about the circumstances.
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
A bit unfair to question anybody's judgement without knowing much about the circumstances.
I highly agree
Scorpion Power packs USA
mattox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not so since the point is fairly straightforward...safe distance equals safe margin for reaction time to help you avoid potential death.
AgustaOEXFH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Couldn't be more wrong. Please know the facts before you decide to make a judgment or comment like that! I lost not only a teammate yesterday but a friend lets mourn and remember him not make judgments about what happened.
Richie Sabin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Originally Posted by AgustaOEXFH

Its this kind of statement that make my blood boil Roman was my friend and we traveled and flew together your statement way off the mark MATE DO NOT ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THE BOTTOM LINE IS I LOST A FRIEND AND HIS FATHER LOST A SON and the family lost a great kid.

I thank all my fellow heli pilots for the prayers and well wishes in this unreal time we face.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Spadaccini View Post
Originally Posted by AgustaOEXFH

Its this kind of statement that make my blood boil Roman was my friend and we traveled and flew together your statement way off the mark MATE DO NOT ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THE BOTTOM LINE IS I LOST A FRIEND AND HIS FATHER LOST A SON and the family lost a great kid.

I thank all my fellow heli pilots for the prayers and well wishes in this unreal time we face.
While I agree that it is unfair to speculate what happened, I also urge you to not use the fact that he was a good friend to cloud your judgement. If he was one to fly aggressively, and too close, or unsafely, then everyone needs to accept that and we need to learn from it and encourage others not to do the same. It's obvious from his YouTube videos that he did do some unsafe things...I won't point things out because you can see them for yourself. These types of things don't take away from the type of person he was, and I'm very sorry for your and his family's loss. But, if he was flying unsafely, then we shouldn't hide that and we should use that as an example of how horrible accidents can happen to even the best pilots. It doesn't make him a bad person, and it doesn't make him look stupid. We all make mistakes in our lives. Again, I feel horrible about this, and I'm sorry for your loss.

| Agile 5.5 | Goblin 500 | T-Rex 450 Pro DFC | 130X | mCP X BL | Nano CP X | Nano QX |
(and a ton of planes)
{}{steve}{} is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in