Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Battery connector not making connection

My mSRX battery connector pins have never made a good connection since it was new. Always have to move it around to get the blue light to stay on. Both my batteries have the same issue and niether has a problem connecting to the charger, so it seems the battery connector on the mSRX does not work very good. I have tried bending the pins slightly but it seems like the thickness of the pins are too thin for the battery contacts.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions, it is only getting worse, now I can't keep the pins in contact at all for the blue light to stay on, only flashes on for a split second.

Really don't want to buy a new board, will HH send me a new one?

Thanks,
Glenn
glenn777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You sure its the pins in the connector and not the solder connections on the 4-in-1?

-Don
Dont155 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, I too have seen this with some of my batteries but not all (various brands), but these were fine in another model, when I look closely at the battery, the white connector on the troublesome ones are slightly off centre, as the heli's connector has that funny bracket to stop reversed connections, it has trouble lining up with the battery's connector

I may just cut the tag of the heli's connector and then be more careful when plugging in, the use of a sharpy pen to mark both connectors on the same side would help
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is not the wires, it is the connector on the heli. The batteries have no trouble ever making a connection with the charger, so the batteries are fine. The two batteries I have are different brands also.

Does anyone sell just a connector that I can solder to the board, or should I try to RMA the board to Horizon?
glenn777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can buy just the connector with wires (not listed for msrx but should be the same as for msr or mcx2) if you like soldering.

But I'd rather phone HH and get a new board.
danb1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1974 View Post
You can buy just the connector with wires (not listed for msrx but should be the same as for msr or mcx2) if you like soldering.

But I'd rather phone HH and get a new board.
Really? Ask for a new $75 board from HH over a .50 cent plug?
There is some bad juju in doing things like that, But im not a man to judge anyone.

To the OP, Just get a new connector off ebay and solder it on. If you cant solder just twist the wires tight and put electrical tape or heat shrink tubing over them. But soldering would be much better for amperage transfer.
Dasfriek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a grey area here. If I have two burnt mosfets should I just order two and solder them myself, just because I can solder? I would expect any kind of soldering on the 4-in-1 board to kind of void the warranty.

Then phone HH and let them decide.

Oh: please don't tell me that 75$ is the actual board value. It's more like a 10$ board but there is a lot of r&d to be recovered. But for warranty talk we should consider the manufacturing value.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

These are hobby grade heli's meant to be worked on and fixed by its owners to a certain degree. A bad plug is an owners issue imo.
Burnt fet's are a HH issue unless you blew them while doing a brushless mod or something crazy that caused them to blow. But if it was under normal use, Then yes HH should replace it.

Soldering a new plug at the end of the power wire wont void the warranty, Soldering it into the board would. Thats purely my feelings and not those of HH.

Your right it may cost HH $10 for the board, But it should cost you $75 like it costs everyone else and not getting one for free since you found a grey area you feel could score a free board.

I personally dont care what you do, Its your life. I just said what i did as i felt it was wrong and i wanted to bring it up so you might re-evaluate your words.

If you was to call HH and tell them the plug was bad and asked them to fix it i wouldn't tell them i wanted a new board, Id only take one if they offered it. Other than that id ask for a plug sent as a replacement.

HH gives EXCELLENT CS here in the USA, And it when people take advantage of it is when it will start to decline and they clamp down on getting free replacements out fast without 10 hoops to jump threw first.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are pretty much right - If only HH would have offered us a $119-quality heli, same level of support anywhere in the world and an official warranty that would go beyound "if it's not doa it's not under warranty but we are so nice and will fix it". Dammit my mcx2 was so problem free, what went wrong this time?

If your battery connector gets bad yes it is not nice to ask for a new board - on the other hand it is part of the board, not offered as spare part (unlike msr/mcx) and not many rc'ers are also good friends with a fine tip soldering station.

So yes the moral way is to tell HH the problem and let them decide.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like we agree here.
And there are some noobs who cant solder a new plug, Or maybe even to young to use a soldering iron itself. Then it would be fine to ask for a new board right away.

I feel they at least work hard to keep USA customers happy even tho abroad countries seem to not get such good service. I feel they need to work on that and id tell them that also.

Ive been in other hobbies in the past when companies bent over backwards to make customers happy and then people started taking advantage of it and all of a sudden CS went to hell and getting warranty work was 10x harder just because of the actions of a few people. Id just hate to see that happen with HH as im highly invested in many of their products and from everything i read no other company that has micro heli's worth owning cater to their customers like HH does.

In all honesty i couldn't even tell you what the warranty even is on these heli's. Once i go modding the ones i own i feel ive voided the warranties when i open the box.
But if i had a board go out for no reason id surely look into what they cover and dont cover.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't want them to bent backwards, just have the same level of support and make a decent product that doesn't break like this (main motors, servos, tail motors... what the...?) not to mention lack of stabilization during turns and lack of a decent official response

FYI:

What this Warranty Covers
Horizon Hobby, Inc. (“Horizon”) warrants to the original purchaser that the product purchased (the “Product”) will be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of purchase.

That's it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in