Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HP08 150 DFC- The Beast

Goodness I've been working on this helicopter for awhile now. I had to wait for the motor to get here and I paired it with the Overksky tail motor. I seemed to have problems with vibrations in the beginning- this motor is cogged like a diesel truck engine!

The MRS unit will tail wag and lose headlock with vibrations.

So I put on all new FS, MS, blades and I put two pieces of foam on the MRS unit. I really recommend doubling up the foam for this motor. Also note the space between the motor and MRS- it needs it. The HP 08 runs smooth but it can intensify tiny vibrations.

With the stock frame you can't run any other pinion besides the 10T. This is a problem so in the future I will have to find an aftermarket frame... For now this psycho beast is held back at 60-70% throttle... can you say torque? OMG I put the orange blades on just to slow it down a little bit. I was pleasantly surprised how visible the orange blades are.

This thing is way too much and too powerful.... just what I wanted!
They have an 8000kv version now... so you know that'd be the one to get.
I used the Nanotech Batteries and can get 4:00 of 3D with the HP 08 at 60-70 percent throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140411_150600.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	501817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140411_171504.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	501818  
000pitch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried 3M tape to mount the MRS? I'm tempted to try two layers of 3M instead of one.
Some people have reported that the carbon main shafts can help reduce vibes.

I would recommend the servo saver mod also.
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ahh.. no I didn't have any 3M tape so I kinda improvised with the double foam.
Building this helicopter made me realize a few things about the MRS. I used to get a slight tail blow out on hard pitch pumps... and I thought the little tail rotor just couldn't hold it.
But as I continued to resolve this motor install problems.. I realized that the Align tail motor and tail rotor can hold the meanest and nastiest pitch pumps... the tail blowout is caused from vibrations!

The head speeds up during negative pitch pumps and it brings out vibrations, unlevel swash, or other imperfections.

Once I got the vibrations down... I can absolutely slam the pitch with the HP 08 motor screaming... and the tail will hold allllll the way down.

I actually ordered the 8000kv HP 08 last night. I want to use Aligns main frame and the 10T pinion. If someone would like to buy my 9200kv with a brand new 9T pinion... PM me.

I did read about the Carbon main shaft reducing more vibes. I could imagine that being true so I'll definitely try that :-)
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still using the Align tail motor as my Oversky hasn't arrived yet.

With a 100% flat throttle curve, carbon MS, stiffer frame, 3M tape, I get no blowouts during pitch pumps and funnels etc.
However, what I still suffer with is drift from the wind. If I fly straight backwards, upright or inverted, with the wind blowing, the tail can get blown around and the gyro doesn't seem to notice and correct it
With no wind, the tail is perfectly fine, holding up during all manoeuvres.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yep.. I know exactly what you mean... the wind blows and the tail goes right with it.

I really do feel that the Oversky tail motor is better with that. It will just wag instead of freely blowing around.

All in all... I really just try to not fly it in the wind... A still day is so much more fun with more precision.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000pitch View Post
Yep.. I know exactly what you mean... the wind blows and the tail goes right with it.

I really do feel that the Oversky tail motor is better with that. It will just wag instead of freely blowing around.

All in all... I really just try to not fly it in the wind... A still day is so much more fun with more precision.
stretch it with the lynx carbon fiber tail boom. put 47 mm blades on the tail with the improved oversky tail motor. if your real balsy put the lynx 135 mm blades made for the 130 x on this beast and wind wont be a problem anymore. you will need to adjust your curves as this animal will be hard to control. lynx is in the process of releasing a frame for the 150 that is supposed to handle alot. I have the mh frame on mine but am having issues with its durability.
shinybrute is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybrute View Post
stretch it with the lynx carbon fiber tail boom. put 47 mm blades on the tail with the improved oversky tail motor. if your real balsy put the lynx 135 mm blades made for the 130 x on this beast and wind wont be a problem anymore. you will need to adjust your curves as this animal will be hard to control. lynx is in the process of releasing a frame for the 150 that is supposed to handle alot. I have the mh frame on mine but am having issues with its durability.
I didn't realise Lynx had released their boom yet.
Have you tried the extended boom, 47mm prop and Oversky tail motor? If so, how does the tail behave?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
I didn't realise Lynx had released their boom yet.
Have you tried the extended boom, 47mm prop and Oversky tail motor? If so, how does the tail behave?
best I can explain it.....it flies like my 450L 6s....really locked in and snappy. no blowouts, no drifting. just pure amazing flying. im surprised more people aren't doing this. like I said before though youll need to tame this beast down a little with your curves maybe even your pitch adjustments at first...because it will get away from you very very fast. also I recommend the 330 mah bats . Im on my 4th build now and just checking lynx website everyday for the frame. cmon lynx

http://www.lynxheli.com/product_info...ducts_id=23582
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely pick up the carbon boom when they are available locally. They should be lighter and stronger than stock.
I already have my stock boom pulled out and my motor pulled out on the boom to give probably 15mm extension - my tail wires have no slack left.
I have the 47mm prop, but I'm waiting on my Oversky motor to arrive before I try it.

Why do you need to tame it down, are you also using the HP08 main motor?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about the tail motor wires though?? Are they long enough to work with the longer tail boom?

Mine are already uncomfortably close with the stock boom?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely pick up the carbon boom when they are available locally. They should be lighter and stronger than stock.
I already have my stock boom pulled out and my motor pulled out on the boom to give probably 15mm extension - my tail wires have no slack left.
I have the 47mm prop, but I'm waiting on my Oversky motor to arrive before I try it.

Why do you need to tame it down, are you also using the HP08 main motor?
yes. with the 130x blades(135mm),47mm prop, and oversky tail plus the 9200 kv main it turns into an animal...youll need to adjust your pitch and throttle curves to make it a little smoother. its a big jump after 50% throttle and I didn't like it plus the negative pitch is way to much. those 135 mm blades make a big difference.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000pitch View Post
What about the tail motor wires though?? Are they long enough to work with the longer tail boom?

Mine are already uncomfortably close with the stock boom?
yeah its real close but it does fit. I thought it was to close and if I ever wrecked it good it would break but after a good 5 or 6 crashes now its still going strong. the only thing I keep breaking is the damm servos
Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybrute View Post
yeah its real close but it does fit. I thought it was to close and if I ever wrecked it good it would break but after a good 5 or 6 crashes now its still going strong. the only thing I keep breaking is the damm servos
Have you not done the servo saver mod?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I found the HP 08 9200 is way too much for the 10T pinion. 50-60% throttle has the head screaming... and though it still destroys any other motor out there... I can still hear it bog down a bit due to lack of voltage.

I ordered the 8000kv HP 08 and I know that this will be perfect for the 10T and Align frame. At 90% throttle.... this is going to be the absolute fastest helicopter on the planet! lol.

It already makes my 6s Dominator feel like a stuffed pig. Even at 60% throttle and less than optimal gearing- It will climb up into the sky as faster or faster than it will descend. I swear this motor is cogged just as tight as the Align 460mx for a 450 class.

Not only is it stupid powerful... it has a really great feel to it... the bird has more stoutness and is more stable. The blades dig into the air instead of getting blown around. Highly recommend this motor if you want to be blown away with an ear to ear grin.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find the stock motor at 90-100% flat throttle curve and the MRS flashed with BLheli firmware more than enough for my skill level. I have a 1s 16500kv HP08S motor sitting in a box as the damn thing is far too much for my modded mcpx v1 or more likely for me to handle.
Skyroo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just noticed Oversky sell Trex 150 carbon booms really really cheap, so I've order 6.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Have you not done the servo saver mod?
not yet. ive been reluctant to do it for fear of the horn slipping. ive got more horns though so ill just do it I guess.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can understand your reluctance. I've never had a slip on mine in flight - only after crashing.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just installed and flew the HP08 8000kv on the 10T pinion and stock frame. I flew it at a flat 100% to test it out and I must say... its brutal lol. Its a lot of fun and a very nice motor.

It does have the most torque and power no doubt.. but I would still pick the HP 06V2 over this motor for overall balance of performance. On the stock blades... the HP 06 can pretty much match the HP 08. Which makes me think that the HP 08 is best suited for stretch blades- giving you that extra grunt to keep them swinging.

The HP 06V2 is the real deal!

I just ordered the 125mm Lynx Blades and the 47mm tail blades for the HP 08. This may be the deciding factor to make it supreme.

Last edited by 000pitch; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Micro Heaven

The Lynx 3D-R blades are very aggressive! Dang. They are longer, wider and have some sharp curves on the wing. Very light too!

As I thought, the HP 08 comes alive with some longer blades. It gives it something to work for and shows off its torque.

The disc does feel a lot bigger, I was surprised. Wow. HP 08 on 125mm mains and 47mm tail blades. You wont regret it.

Still getting 4 minute flights with the Nanotechs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140423_172420.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	504425  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in