Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to install the 20T autorotation gear?

Hi,

I am thinking about removing the old 19T autorotation gear and installing the 20T. For the brave souls who already have done this, how did you do it? Is there any gear mesh problem when the new gear (obviously a little bit larger) is installed?

Thanks,

Dan
ke6d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First, loosen the two motor pinion set screws, and remove the main gear. Now just push the shaft down from the top, out through the one way, bearings and gear. You should be able to remove the one way and install the new one the same way. I have been told that the 20T is the same diameter as the 19T, but the pitch is a bit smaller, yet still engages the main gear properly.
Eric
Other Blingers:
Deering Golden Era Banjo
LG100ZM competition air rifle w/20-50x60 scope (http://www.compufoil.com/images/eric_on_the_range.jpg)
Mathews SwitchbackXT Bow
CompuFoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no mesh issues whatsoever with the 20t.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just did it. It was a 15 minute event. Just be sure you put it in the right direction, or you will be pulling it out again.
Eric
Other Blingers:
Deering Golden Era Banjo
LG100ZM competition air rifle w/20-50x60 scope (http://www.compufoil.com/images/eric_on_the_range.jpg)
Mathews SwitchbackXT Bow
CompuFoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuFoil View Post
First, loosen the two motor pinion set screws, and remove the main gear. Now just push the shaft down from the top, out through the one way, bearings and gear. You should be able to remove the one way and install the new one the same way. I have been told that the 20T is the same diameter as the 19T, but the pitch is a bit smaller, yet still engages the main gear properly.
Eric
the pitch is exactly the same at 0.8Mod but the 20T is only slightly larger than the 19T and causes no mesh problems when fitted

phil
Happy|Harry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two thumbs-up for the 20T oneway! I had the 19T oneway slide down on the metal sleeve and it ground-up my bottom alu bearing block (I have the CF frames). When this happens the 19T oneway will be engaging about half of the main gear and you'll either strip it or the oneway will start slipping. The 20T oneway gear is taller then the 19T oneway so even if it is riding against the bottom bearing block it is still fully-engaging the main gear -- much better design in my opinion. I think all hurri owners should get it just for that reason....
GatoVolador is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is there a benifit to using the 20t ? What does it do to the gear ratio?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Update ** according to the HS calc...with my Z20 980kv and stock gears 14t pinion swithcing to the 20t oneway picks up about 100 rpm goes from 2033 to 2140 using 90% as the drag...
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post

Update ** according to the HS calc...with my Z20 980kv and stock gears 14t pinion swithcing to the 20t oneway picks up about 100 rpm goes from 2033 to 2140 using 90% as the drag...
the 20T oneway is more beefy and less prone to splitting like the 19T one is, i've attached my pdf of available gear ratios, the first page is with the 19T and the second page is with the 20T

phil
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H550 Available gear ratios.pdf (36.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post

It's about a wash as far as gear ratios are concerned but the bigger benefit in my opinion is the gear is taller and will always be engaging the main gear regardless if it slips on the sleeve or not.
GatoVolador is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry View Post
the 20T oneway is more beefy and less prone to splitting like the 19T one is, i've attached my pdf of available gear ratios, the first page is with the 19T and the second page is with the 20T

phil
HH...

Thanks for the spreadsheet...it's a "Keeper" good to have all the info in one place....

Thanks again.

Looks like I'll be getting the 20 t for the beefiness..

I love the Hurri, but it's amazinghow WE find all the weak spots. Where was the R & D and beta tests?

Reminds me of my airline days.....Boeing used to test a/c doors like "thousands of times"....then 105lb flight attendant would totally destroy it !!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

See this thread. I uploaded a Hurricane headspeed calculator spreadsheed with almost all the gear combo calculation. You can just look up the headspeed for your gear combo. Revco gears and pinions are also included. This is assuming 100% efficiency. Multiply this value by 0.90 for 90% efficiency.

Dan

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=59123
Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

very nice spreadsheet dan :cool:, though you should have left the primary, secondary, pinion, oneway, motor Kv and voltage as user selectable values as there are lots of different options for the primary gear

i did include the revco gears in my first version of the document but after all the problems with people stripping them on high power setups i decided that mod 0.6 gears aren't suitable for my use so i removed them, i should have probably left them in for others benefit but i didn't think about that :o

phil
Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
very nice spreadsheet dan :cool:, though you should have left the primary, secondary, pinion, oneway, motor Kv and voltage as user selectable values as there are lots of different options for the primary gear

i did include the revco gears in my first version of the document but after all the problems with people stripping them on high power setups i decided that mod 0.6 gears aren't suitable for my use so i removed them, i should have probably left them in for others benefit but i didn't think about that :o

phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks. I was lazy. I just copied more rows when I need more gear/motor Kv choices. It was 30 min job I thought it might be useful to someone.

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

My HF Map location

dan it is indeed useful! though i've taken the liberty of modifying it to be as i mentioned above where you can input most of the values and get the resulting gear ratio and headspeed, with also calculations that take the drag coefficient into account. let me know what you think

phil

[edit]
i have attached the file in post no:17
[/edit]

Last edited by Happy|Harry; 01-30-2008 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: probs with downloading zip file
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi HH

Cant seem to download your Zip File

Is there a chance i can download it from somewhere else?

Ben
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzer View Post
Hi HH

Cant seem to download your Zip File

Is there a chance i can download it from somewhere else?

Ben
Me neither..
Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

i can download it from here? i've tried to re-attach it to this post but the site wont let me saying that i have already attached it in post 14 of this thread

phil

[edit]
ok guys i've deleted it from the above post and re-attached it here, if you still cant download it pm me your email addy and i'll send it to you
[/edit]
Attached Files
File Type: zip EP550_HS_Calculator_Modified.zip (23.8 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Happy|Harry; 01-30-2008 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: added zip file
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
i can download it from here? i've tried to re-attach it to this post but the site wont let me saying that i have already attached it in post 14 of this thread

phil

[edit]
ok guys i've deleted it from the above post and re-attached it here, if you still cant download it pm me your email addy and i'll send it to you
[/edit]
Worked that time !

I really like it.....because of the pinions....and ratio...really nice to have it all on one sheet at the same time instead of having to re-input for each pinion..

Thanks guys...

Mike
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
dan it is indeed useful! though i've taken the liberty of modifying it to be as i mentioned above where you can input most of the values and get the resulting gear ratio and headspeed, with also calculations that take the drag coefficient into account. let me know what you think

phil

[edit]
i have attached the file in post no:17
[/edit]
No problem Phil. I am glad that you take your time and make it more useful. When I was selecting a motor/pinion, I just tabulated everything out so that I could decide which motor pinion to buy.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

can someone confirm the reliabilty of the new 20T one-way pinion in 3D. thanks
tungym is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in