Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #281 (permalink)
Registered Users

If my charger only reports in voltage, how do I know what mah I am putting back in. I fly a 450 mah battery for 4 minutes and the voltage is 7.6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #282 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You cannot tell. What charger do you have? A blinky charger? You need, at minimum, a charger like this.

$24

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #283 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a G.T. Power 606-d I had for my foam planks. I going to upgrade but it works good for my 450 and 2200 batteries. I just started using My RC Log . com and wanted to start keeping data on my batteries.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #284 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
You cannot tell. What charger do you have? A blinky charger? You need, at minimum, a charger like this.

$24

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I read the link about that charger. What is funny is at the bottom it warns about buying clones of this unit. That there are copies being produced and sold out of China, and that it is dangerous buying clones. Pot-> kettle

Team Blue Collar "Footin' the bill since 2012" Sent from my S5 using tapatalk.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #285 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've read the entire thread. My brain is swollen!! Lots of good info. I haven't seen anything on what to do with puffed lipos. How do I make them safe to dispose of?
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #286 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Discharge fully (I use two car 12v headlights in series) then cut off connectors and twist main leads together and put in you garbage can. Not recyclable. Not dangerous to landfill.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #287 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Sly. Soldering a bulb.
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #288 (permalink)
Registered Users

As a newbie, is there an easy way for me to figure out the fast charge, discharge rates for my 11.1 3S 2200mah. I have a X4 Hitec charger and it wants to know charge, balance charge, fast charge, and discharge rates. I know a safe charge is 2.2 but not sure about the other rates.

Is there charging and battery 101 somewhere in HF? I searched but was not successful

Thanks, Heli Ascot
Heli ascot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #289 (permalink)
Registered Users

The battery should list the max safe charge rate such as 3C, or 5C, etc. of course, 1C would be 2.2, 2C = 4.4, etc..

If it does not list that, then you would safely be limited to 1C unless the manufacturer says otherwise.
D_Vail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 AM   #290 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Vail View Post
The battery should list the max safe charge rate such as 3C, or 5C, etc. of course, 1C would be 2.2, 2C = 4.4, etc..

If it does not list that, then you would safely be limited to 1C unless the manufacturer says otherwise.
The X4 also allows me to internally set a fast charge rate, discharge rate, and storage rate. How do I determine these rates of charge? Maybe I am over thinking this?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #291 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli ascot View Post
The X4 also allows me to internally set a fast charge rate, discharge rate, and storage rate. How do I determine these rates of charge? Maybe I am over thinking this?
The hitec x4 will allow you to set up to a 6.0 amp Charge rate. To set a 5000 mAh to 1c charge rate, set the charger to 5.0 amps. To set a 2200 mAh battery to 1c rate, set the charger to 2.2 amps. To set a 2200 mAh battery to a 2c charge rate, set the charger for 4.4 amps, 3c rate would be 6.6 amps, but your charger will only go to 6 amps.
The charger will automatically stop charging/balancing when the battery reaches 4.20 volts per cell.
I made the mistake of setting the safety cutoff amperage in the x4 when I first got it, but it is not needed. It will stop charging when it is done.

To discharge, you set the desired end voltage, you can set up to a 1 amp rate on the x4.

To store batteries, set your battery voltage ie 22.2V(6S), and you can ssh up to a 1.0 amp storage charge rate.

For my lager packs like the 5000mAh I always go with the 1.0 amp rate for discharge and storage. For a small capacity pack, like the 800mAh on my small plane, I go with a lower discharge/storage rate

Hope that helps

TREX 700N, 600N, 600E, 550, 500, 450s. DX9. AMA# 1042808
Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #292 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes thank you.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #293 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Way over my head!

Whats up Heli Freaks,

So am I in way over my head? I know nothing about mah and draw and voltage and balancing. I am sure someone has posted this same comment/question, but I have to ask. Just got into the hobby in april and I am charging one battery per flight. Way economical i know. I need a charger and other accessories. The question is what do I really need. The "nice" to have vs the "need" to have is always important. I am now flying a nano cps with single cell lipos and a blade 230s with 3 cell lipos. What do I really need? and what would be nice to have? In addition to that, is there any real guideline on how to know what battery is best? (example, my nano cps can use a 150 mah with a 45 c rating. really don't know what that means but, what does a 220 mah with a 45 c do?) Sorry if this is a repeat post. Thanks for all your help. Everyone is so educated here and helpful. I love the comradery of this sport. I hope I can be as well versed as all you guys after some time in this hobby.
Aikiguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #294 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outdated

Just thought you should know. The link to the cell spy is outdated.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #295 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No E heli for me thank you

After reading all of these posts about lipo care...now way I want an E-heli. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
cover8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #296 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Safe LiPo Disposal (2019/09)

The attached PDF file is from the RCG Battery section.
It is a short 9 pages long and is focused on "Safe LiPo disposal".
It covers thing like:
- Proper disposal of a damaged battery (hint... Saltwater is BAD)
- Proper discharging before disposal
- How to build a simple discharge setup to safely discharge any LiPo down to 0v for disposal.
- Recycling LiPo packs
- Puffing - why it happens and why it is bad.

Download it and keep a copy laying around.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safe LiPo disposal 20 Sept 2019 .pdf (1.43 MB, 50 views)
xoexoe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in