Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

View Poll Results: ESC for 7HV?
HW 120 15 23.81%
CC 120 15 23.81%
Jive 120 8 12.70%
Other 25 39.68%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Poll: ESC for 7HV

Hi guys,
Looking for your always quality input on things.... Trying to get this sled in the air finally. Please comment as well if you wanna....
Thx,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

SAR,

I am running a Punch R/C ESC from Nankin.

They sent me one for evaluation, before I received my 7HV, so I installed it on the Trex 700E. I liked the way it worked and purchased one for the 7HV. This was also at a time when the major brand of HV ESC was having issues with spontaneous combustion.

The programming is not as simple as some other ESC's (you have to stop and start after each step), but you only have to do it once, when you first install it, so it is not bad-just takes a few, extra minutes.

I do not run governor, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the ESC.

I have about 80 flights on the two ESC's with no issues, so far, sir.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sarpilot - great to hear from you. I am biased a great deal towards the Jive 120, since I also have a Jive 80. If you want to fly with a governor, then I think it might depend on whether or not you will use Vbar governor. If not, I strongly favor the Jive as it has a great governor as well as a great BEC. Jive V11 can work with Vbar gov.

However, another option not on your list, which is a hot seller with many advantrages is the Scorpion 130 Commander V5 BEC. None are failure free, but this one has some excellent capability, and more than $200 less than Jive. Has protection built in lacking in the HW, and compatibility with Vbar governor. I understand that if it goes into thermal shutdown, you can reset it from an interface cable. (Jive goes back to Kontronik for resetting). I would make this my next ESC if I were to build a second 700 (even though some failures have been reported).
Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

with v bar gov fusionhawk and wr bec, jive 120 hv internal gov.
Both these proven with monster yy handwind motors drawing over 200 amps, although jive doesn't like certain motors like 5020, i.e. where width is more than twice the length of stator its still the best in terms of protecting your machine, it will shut down but not ignite or burn up. However on single wire d windings run ksa mode as well as some align mx motors. Fusionhawk anything goes, still don't know what happens if things go wrong as so far seems bulletproof, running both align mx and 5020 rewinds
Scorpions unfortunately no better than castle so far, yes excellent support and everyone wants it to work, bottom line they don't, also I see tendency to blame motors for failures, honestly?, where do all these bad motors suddenly come from?. Again jive will show a led flash code with bad motor and not burn up, cheap imop in the long run
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about Kontronik Jive 80HV ?? It can REALLY handle 80A continuous and 160A with the extra cooling (heatsink and good airflow).
SkyRaptor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the Hyperion 130 HV Opto. Its the same as the scorpion commander. Runs beautiful and plays nice with the SK720 governor.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Sarpilot - great to hear from you. I am biased a great deal towards the Jive 120, since I also have a Jive 80. If you want to fly with a governor, then I think it might depend on whether or not you will use Vbar governor. If not, I strongly favor the Jive as it has a great governor as well as a great BEC. Jive V11 can work with Vbar gov.

However, another option not on your list, which is a hot seller with many advantrages is the Scorpion 130 Commander V5 BEC. None are failure free, but this one has some excellent capability, and more than $200 less than Jive. Has protection built in lacking in the HW, and compatibility with Vbar governor. I understand that if it goes into thermal shutdown, you can reset it from an interface cable. (Jive goes back to Kontronik for resetting). I would make this my next ESC if I were to build a second 700 (even though some failures have been reported).
It really does deserve a Jive but.... $
Planning on 560 Scorp HV servos all around and prob 7200BX FBL...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

waiting for hobbywing discount to pop up for these 5000's......
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

YGE120 here, built in phase sensor too
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im putting a Jive one 120 in mine but honestly I wanted a HobbyWing 120HV because I am using a Skookum 720 and it has a superb Gov but the gov doesnt play well with smart ESC's. I will have to use the Jive Gov which I hear is excellent too. I only have a couple of Jazz controllers in my fleet now. The Jazz Gov is great as far as I can tell.

I will probably also try the new Skookum 540 as I have it too.Maybe..you know how hard it is to change something if what is installed is doing well...and I get lazy at that point

Im not a good judge of Gov performance . I am pleased with my Castle Pheonix 120 as well as my HV 85's using set RPM mode. The RPM is within a few percent of the numbers I plug into setup...Thing is I just dont have the skills to fly hard. Getting old and now have glasses, hand eye coordination isnt great. My hands are arthritic from trauma mostly from my younger days. Since Im not doing hard reversals and 3D flying Im not rerally stressing theGOV system

Hopefully I will be happily putzing around with my 7HV in a week or so and saying, hey, did you see that flip??? I nailed one of those stall turns that flight.I still have fun with these things even if I cant wring them out.
TT E-620 SE x 2: Scorpion 4025-740 200srx, nano qx JR Parkmites x 2
Jamesppp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

im running the yge 160 from the logo xxtreme. Overkill yes but it should cope with all that I throw at it and maybe I will try 14s with the 7hv in the future
cupracing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
YGE120 here, built in phase sensor too
Same here. Costly but working great so far. Works great with Vbar gov. No regrets.

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hobbywing is good so far.

4525le
gov 2050 RPM
50+ flights
ESC 22 degs PWM 12
13 degs pitch.

ESC comes down between 110-120 degs (ambent temp 12 degs)

Im not an advanced 3d guy but I have ballooned a flight pack so I can push quite hard.
snaaakeey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hobbywing 120hv 15 timing 12 pwm and 14 pitch, will go back to 8pwm and 11 timing though. 1850 and 1950 2min tic tocs straight comes down hardly warmer then body temp. Motor is a tad hot though. Will prolly go for an yge 160 when time comes to have the 14s option if it gets valid in time
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolla View Post
with v bar gov fusionhawk and wr bec, jive 120 hv internal gov.
Both these proven with monster yy handwind motors drawing over 200 amps, although jive doesn't like certain motors like 5020, i.e. where width is more than twice the length of stator its still the best in terms of protecting your machine, it will shut down but not ignite or burn up. However on single wire d windings run ksa mode as well as some align mx motors. Fusionhawk anything goes, still don't know what happens if things go wrong as so far seems bulletproof, running both align mx and 5020 rewinds
Scorpions unfortunately no better than castle so far, yes excellent support and everyone wants it to work, bottom line they don't, also I see tendency to blame motors for failures, honestly?, where do all these bad motors suddenly come from?. Again jive will show a led flash code with bad motor and not burn up, cheap imop in the long run
What timing do run with the fusion hawk and align mx motors. I'm setting up with a 510kv motor atm.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man i cant remember all i know is we did same as timo wendland on 4525le and tdr, you can search for that, i'm way to lazy to plug in the cp to check, i;d say anything in the 15 to 18 deg, align runs so cold cant see problem with 18 deg. But run helimode not airplane as suggested works better
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thx for the input guys! Man if I go w the HeliJive then I'm gonna want one of Stolla's handwounds.....
About to pull the trigger on a HBL980 7200BX and sat from Mike.... Still undecided on ESC. With the MKS tail will have HV all around already have Eric's 8917's....
woot
Please keep the comments coming....
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man I am gonna be a dead man when the favorite girl sees this Mike wants like 500.... all I lack now is a couple packs and esc.... woot....
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

YGE120 on Vbar Governor here (and MKS HBL all around, great servos!).
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
YGE120 on Vbar Governor here (and MKS HBL all around, great servos!).
That's the exact route I'll probably go when the time comes.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in