Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default should i use training gear?

My used 450 should be here this week and I'm debating picking up a set of gear. I really don't want to but would it be wise? As far as my skill level goes, 3 months with helis, a sold month on my mcxp (tail cruising no problem) I've never flown a 450. I guess my my question is...is it stable enough to go without?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
nash2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are comfortable with getting the mcpx off the ground and back down then don't bother with training gear on the B450.
Being is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1
gixster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being View Post
If you are comfortable with getting the mcpx off the ground and back down then don't bother with training gear on the B450.
The mcpx is a can of corn to lift and land...i figured the b450 would be at least a little different. Ill give it a shot without them.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash2000 View Post
The mcpx is a can of corn to lift and land...i figured the b450 would be at least a little different. Ill give it a shot without them.

The B450 is much easier to take off and land than the mcpx. I'd recommend using IU for the best results. I assume that's what you use with your mcpx?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The B450 is much easier to take off and land than the mcpx. I'd recommend using IU for the best results. I assume that's what you use with your mcpx?
Sorry, still learning terms but what's IU?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Idle up , stunt mode
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sorry, still learning terms but what's IU?

Constant head speed. Your left stick doesn't change the speed of the blades, only the pitch of the blades.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

No i don't use idol up mode, should i? Never really grasped the concept. If how you discribed it (constant head spread, no change with left stick) so basically once TH is switched off the heli will shoot right up?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

just did some reaserch and most people seem to spool in normal mode than switch to IU mode. My question is (probably a dumb one) if I'm in IU mode how do I land or descend? When i land i just lower the rpm and it drops (obviously) but when in IU do we switch to normal mode to land?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

With constant head speed, when you release TH, the blades spin up to the maximum speed you set in your tx. With left stick at mid position the heli isn't going anywhere (no matter how fast the blades are spinning) because the blade pitch is 0. Test it out with the mcpx before you even try flying the B450. Don't know what tx you are using or could help you more.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

IU/Stunt mode is the core of collective pitch helicopters, and is how most full size helicopters fly. The blades remain at a constant speed, and control the lift of the helicopter through their pitch relative to the air.

Think of it as holding your hand out the window of a moving car. Hold it at a constant angle of 45 degrees, and it will barely lift at 20 miles per hour, but will try to lift you out of the car at 70. That's the concept behind fixed pitch helicopters. They increase the SPEED of the blades while the angle to the wind remains the same. "Normal" mode in a collective pitch helicopter like the mcpx or B450 emulates the performance of a fixed pitch heli for the most part, and most CP guys only fly in "normal" mode for takeoff and landing, if at all.

Idle up or stunt mode is like holding your arm out of the car going 70 miles per hour the whole time. If you hold your hand flat to the wind it stays right there. Angle it up and your hand wants to climb, angle it down and your hand wants to descend. This is the same principle as a helicopter in IU. The speed of the blades remains pretty much constant (with the exception of drag) but the pitch of the blades is what changes and controls the helicopter's lift. This is how a CP heli can fly as well inverted as right side up.
Napoleon_Tanerite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
With constant head speed, when you release TH, the blades spin up to the maximum speed you set in your tx. With left stick at mid position the heli isn't going anywhere (no matter how fast the blades are spinning) because the blade pitch is 0. Test it out with the mcpx before you even try flying the B450. Don't know what tx you are using or could help you more.
I'm usining the dx6i radio.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello I'm a Newbie with 6 450 flights

Hello.
If you have ever flown 120SR. Remember spooling it up lifting the left skid a bit so it does not drift. Then lifting the helicopter off the ground. You know pretty much what a B450 feels like on takeoff. Other than the obvious size and power difference in the helicopters I find they feel very much alike. I prefer to fly off grass, much nicer.

You will find the helicopter feels much heavier than MCPX with much less tendency to
wander.

When you plug it in and it binds at the flying field. Make sure you test the rudder operation.
Make sure it moves when you move the stick, before putting the canopy on the helicopter.

Do not be afraid to fly it. Spool up nice and watch the helicopter close. When it's just about ready to fly a little right aileron and a little power and your up. Release aileron.

Land right away and trim as needed. Giver some more.
You will love this helicopter.

Give it a thorough going over when you get it.
Level swash
Set pitch and paddles.
Balance the Blades
Make sure every nut bolt and screw is tight.
Go over radio settings 10 times! Make sure it's set up properly.
Make sure it's ready to fly and you will have no problem flying without training gear.
The helicopter is a dream to fly.
Have fun!
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_Tanerite View Post
IU/Stunt mode is the core of collective pitch helicopters, and is how most full size helicopters fly. The blades remain at a constant speed, and control the lift of the helicopter through their pitch relative to the air.

Think of it as holding your hand out the window of a moving car. Hold it at a constant angle of 45 degrees, and it will barely lift at 20 miles per hour, but will try to lift you out of the car at 70. That's the concept behind fixed pitch helicopters. They increase the SPEED of the blades while the angle to the wind remains the same. "Normal" mode in a collective pitch helicopter like the mcpx or B450 emulates the performance of a fixed pitch heli for the most part, and most CP guys only fly in "normal" mode for takeoff and landing, if at all.

Idle up or stunt mode is like holding your arm out of the car going 70 miles per hour the whole time. If you hold your hand flat to the wind it stays right there. Angle it up and your hand wants to climb, angle it down and your hand wants to descend. This is the same principle as a helicopter in IU. The speed of the blades remains pretty much constant (with the exception of drag) but the pitch of the blades is what changes and controls the helicopter's lift. This is how a CP heli can fly as well inverted as right side up.
Nice explanation, i have a much better understanding of it now. But i still need to study it a bit before jumping in.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would say if you have a sim give it some practice there, just to get the feel of it (IU / Stunt mode)
That and move at a pace you are comfortable with, if not comfortable with trying iu don't yet.
Better off taking it slow then rushing into a crash
Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will play devils advocate here. Use the training gear. You sound like you are very much in the learning phase. We all were at one time. "landing" an Mcpx can be done with tilting over and no damage. Unless you are supremely confident with your take off and landing skills, use the gear. It's cheap insurance for the first few attempts with a bigger bird. I am quite comfortable with my take off and landing, but I still put gear on every maiden flight of a new bird.

I'm getting a 600 pro soon, it will have training gear on it for the first flight.
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm usining the dx6i radio.

If you set all the settings according to the mcpx manual (page 6) then you should just switch F.Mode to the 1 position and you will be in IU. Plug the battery into the heli and (while left stick is at a little below mid-stick to give some negative to hold the heli on the ground) release TH and the blades will spin up to max speed. Once the blades are at max speed (you can tell by the sound) give it some positive pitch to get the heli off the ground.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you set all the settings according to the mcpx manual (page 6) then you should just switch F.Mode to the 1 position and you will be in IU. Plug the battery into the heli and (while left stick is at a little below mid-stick to give some negative to hold the heli on the ground) release TH and the blades will spin up to max speed. Once the blades are at max speed (you can tell by the sound) give it some positive pitch to get the heli off the ground.
Ill try this out tomorrow when I'm home from work...ill post results. Thanks guys, been wanting to learn a little bit about IU mode for a while now but didnt see much point since I'm just hovering and flying tail in. But for the last few days I've been working on my side orientations and I'm now able to hover and move a bit with heli pointed to my left. The right side is a little tricky. Once i get both left and right orientations down i hope to be able to do slow circles. Baby steps i tell my self...I'm in no rush to be great or even not bad. Lol

Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're just at hovering an mcpx tail in, you might want to hold off on the B450. There's not a whole lot the B450 offers over the mcpx at this stage in your training aside from substantially more expensive crashes. The B450 is easier to hover, but if you get good at hovering the mcpx you will be able to hover the B450 with your eyes closed. I suggest you save your money for now and practice practice practice while it's still cheap to do so. It will pay dividends in the long run.
Napoleon_Tanerite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in