Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > R/C Related Electronics DIY

R/C Related Electronics DIY DIY R/C Electronics for tinkerers and the budget minded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OpenPilot CopterControl board

Has anyone used this as a FBL system? How does it work? I have done some looking and I can't seem to find much about it. I would love to support them and it looks like a good deal. Besides if it is good, $90 for a FBL controller is a good deal, and with my money situation, a good deal is required.

http://www.openpilot.org/
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That looks promissing. And they say the're sold out, which means there must be a good number of people out there trying these thigs on...

One thing I have to say is that those cables and board don't really look sturdy enough to handle the power-hungry servos we run today on machines 450 and bigger. Can you really pull 3+ amps thru those tiny wires they have pictured?
Goblin Speed | iKon

Last edited by Dr. M; 11-01-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

If it is not, I could run power lines for the servo around the board. As long as the board gets power and the signals it needs, it should be ok, it is not like the board does anything to the power but pass it on.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its not setup to draw power from the RX, those wires are only for the PWM signal.

You connect the BEC directly to the board at an open terminal or with a Y cable.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, that makes a difference.

Have you had experience with it? Wolf Down?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually have a CopterControl board. I just haven't converted my heli to FBL yet. So I never used it. I was going to try it out as a gyro first, but then my ESC burned up, and then after I replaced that, one of my servos went bad.

I also was hoping to get some type of case for it. But i don't know if theres one out yet.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool. Can't wait to hear how it works. I hope to have the money by the time the next batch comes into stores.

I would look for little plastic cases you find in stores, some sort of pill box may work, just cut some holes for wires and mount it to the inside with gyro foam.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After reading their forum, it looks like it's not working very well on helis. They also have lost their best heli programmers in the last few months.

Here is a snip-it from one post from a heli guy complaning about support.

We also had a guy that got in touch on Helifreak called Mike who offered to help and I gave him a free CC + FOSS JTAG but he never did.

Alright someone named Mike let us know what happened.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, I was following it earlier this year. At that point it seemed like they were not really interested in heli stuff too much. Back then they were telling everyone to run the gyro in rate mode. Also I think the 120 CCPM stuff wasn't complete, or atleast it was hard to get it working with the GUI.

I really want to get back into it, just have too much stuff going on. What I need is a second heli, so I won't feel bad if the CopterControl doesn't work out as great. Cause then I'll have something to fly while I work on the CopterControl bugs.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

How hard was it to get a CC board? They say they sold out really fast.

The thing that makes me frustrated is watching someone fly with it does not tell me how it is performing. How good is the pilot? A poor pilot will drift around like crazy no matter how good the board is working. We need more heli guys using this thing. How else are they going to get more feedback and work on the heli side of things? They seem to be Multi rotor fiends, Helis need better representation.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The project has attracted a lot of people recently. Before it wasn't as hard to get a board. Also heard they had a falling out with one of the board makers, so there was a big stretch when nothing was available.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I scored a board from a guy on the forums (who I will keep quiet so he does not get swamped by questions if he has any other boards).

I guess I will be seeing how it works soon. I look forward to experimenting with it. I'll tell you how it works.

Now I need to come up with a cheep laptop to take to the field and the money to buy it with! I have a friend who may loan me hers for such an experiment though.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am actually looking to get one of these too.... I'm working on a UAV and have been looking at all of this open source hardware for a few months now.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, got the board this morning and was able to figure quite a bit out. I still have problems, for some reason the cyclic does not seem to respond enough to affect flight. It could be my FBL head made from a FB head does not transfer the movement correctly. I had some rough 'landings' so things are shaking a bit, so I will have to do some work before the next flight.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made the head better and fixed the heli. I was able to get a flight this afternoon. She is shaking though, I don't think it is mechanical, I need to adjust some of the settings on the board.

There is a guy doing 3D with one of these things, so they are capable boards, just a little difficult to get setup. Hopefully things will get better as more people put these on Helis and give feed back and the process is refined. For Quads and other multi copters, they are pretty well established, you can set one up in 15 minutes form box to air. A lot of people have done them, but only 9 people have put these things on helicopters so far. (According to the number of users on the Forum who have reported doing so and been awarded a badge for doing so)
Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

SQRT(-2)

Do you have an update on how this is doing?

I have a couple of these boards, one on a quad and one spare and looking to FBL one of my larger single rotor birds.
Rotorshake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had to wait till I got some Trex 500 FBL links in. Needed them to complete my FB to FBL head conversion.

I have made a couple of test flights today. So far the only problems have been when I made a mistake installing the TT tail and the shaft was slipping. I will try some more flights today when the wind dies down. I have no laptop, so adjusting settings is a little inconvenient. I am also in new Territory for me, never set up a FBL system.

This is the FBL head I made, I only had to remove the FB assembly, cut the arms on the arms that rotate the swashplate with the head, Glue the part that slides up and down to the two rods so it does not slide down and fall off and allow the Swashplate to not rotate with the head, flip the blade holders over and run arms form a Trex 500 FBL head form the swash to the blade grips. So far it appears to work well.

Made a noob mistake and messed around on the ground too much and she flipped on me. I will have to replace or rebuild at least one servo now.

Last edited by SQRT(-2); 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in