Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Do Not rely on velcro alone to secure your lipos!

I was using the scotch dual lock fasteners http://www.findtape.com/product388/3...-Fastener.aspx which are so strong you can carry you heli around by the lipo. They fit perfectly centered on an EVO or Align 25/2600 and, most likely, don't need a secondary strap.

BUT, i made my own large lipo that caused the fasterer to not be centered and a lot of the lipo was hanging off. It was a 6s 3850 made by combining cells from 2 4s TP 3850s.

I was at 100% in an inverted stall, I punched it a little and the force caused the lipo to tear loose and it and the canopy fell thru the blades. Heli head exploded and the dead bird fell motionless to the ground.

Over 80 flights with my 2500's, using nothing but the Dual Lock fasteners without an issue. Even though this happened with a MUCH heavier lipo, I will absolutely start wrapping another velcro strap around, just to be safe. I got to thinking, even if the lockers don't give loose...the adhesive could. Anyway, just a heads up in case anyone out there is making the same mistake I did and putting too much faith in their fasteners.
Rototerrier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry for your loss, dude!

Personally I will recommend the battery straps from the T-rex 600. They work a million times better that the stock ones from the 500, and they are very easy to get tight around the pack.

I do not know how many G a rc heli can pull, but multiply that with the weight of a Li-Po pack, and there you go ... You are definitely not the first this has happened to.

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use the velco strap and velcro on my lipo and the batt will still slide down the batt tray if I do a full piro. The piro rate on my 500 is a little crazy though.....its just a blur
Compass K3D, os50hyper, outrage, 8717, 8900, spartan, 8900, radix, 7100r
rupps5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

T600 velcro battery strap with buckle for sure!
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

I've had this happen on a 450 before. Battery and canopy flew off and somehow missed the blades but obvisously dead in the air......helpless feeling. One bright spot was I didn't have to make that split decision for throttle hold. Lesson learned for me is it's OK to be strap happy.
Glorysgun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I do highly recommend the fasteners..you can pick them up at Target. Check out the photos. If you aren't running them, you absolutely must go get some. Like I said, the regular 2500 packs are very secure...I can pick the heli up with them. It was the big pack that wasn't centered that didn't hold. I will use a strap from now on anyway...would hate to get burnt twice, even though the smaller ones are fine without.

Those straps are a sooo much stronger than regular hook and loop. I still use H&L for my RX and Satellite (AR7000), but the lipos get these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Straps0000.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	45380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Straps0001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	45381  
Rototerrier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in