Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How many minutes do you get from the TREX 600 Nitro?

I'm using OS50... Though I'm flying a little rich (1 1/2 turn and 3 clicks). I only get around 6mins MAX. And that is just scale flying. No 3D yet.

Throttle curve is: 0, 35, 55, 65, 80

I used 30% nitro. Can I use 15% and fly some mild 3Ds?! So I could save more buck and have more flying time!

Btw, can anyone share their needle settings?!? The most fuel efficient and still get good performance?
DYORD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm running the same motor and can break 7 minutes easily. Timer is actually set to 7 min for hard 3d and I'll come down with typically at least a quarter tank still in it. Motor runs cool and makes plenty of power too. My high end needle is roughly three clicks out of 1 turn, never touched idle needle, and running cool power %30. I've been told that the needle settings for my motor are really abnormal, and some are even convinced I'm cheating somehow. With your needle settings where they're at, you're going to get shorter flight times. Lean it out SLOWLY, only a click or two at a time. Check back plate for hot temps, and try and find the needle spot where you make the most power by doing hard tic-tocs and judging how much it bogs. Again be very careful when doing this as you don't want to blow a hole in your piston. And as for fuel, %15 works fine for 3d, but you're going to have to be good with your collective management. If you're doing scale/sport then I actually suggest %15 so you don't spend as much. I don't think it has much affect on flight times, but it's cheaper! You also have to re-tune when you change fuels, so be careful doing this.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I get 8 to 9 minutes from mine.. sport flying with flips/rolls and an occasional botched tic toc.. I think I'm at about.. 1.25out from closed (Actualy 1 turn and 7 clicks) 15 percent for now.. plenty of power, and Its still a tad rich as I can hold my finger on the backplate indefinitely after It comes back down.. 1.5 is def a little rich, take it easy.. one click at a time..
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

what are your throttle curves?! Specially when on idle up?! 90%-100% fully open valve?!

I think I also have to change my throttle curve setting. like 60%-max!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My normal curve is set to idle,30,45,60,75. Idle up is 100,75,50,75,100 for both, but I only use those for backup being that I'm using the Align governor. I've found that they do work alright if you don't have a governor to use though.

EDIT: I actually dropped each of the values on my normal curve 5 points today because I found the headspeed to be too high. Points now are Idle, 25, 40,55,70

Last edited by lolramen; 01-15-2012 at 10:50 PM..
lolramen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

7 minutes of sport and beginner 3d flying, then I could hover around another minute if I wanted. my high speed needle also is only a few clicks past one turn out. seems weird but runs cool there. OS50.

i'd be interested in knowing what the 55 and 60 size engines are getting.
texasclouds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users ):>

If my engines tuned right..
I can get up to about 8 minutes hard 3d.
And if its sloppy rich I get about 4 or 5 haha
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm flying a 55HZ on 30% Magnum....Do all kinds of sport flying...loops, rolls, flips, stalls, inverted...etc.

I have a header tank installed, and run the main tank until its clear dry; Getting 8 min 20 seconds...then float on in without rush...

I run Governed H.S. at 2050 RPMS most of the time....Engine tach right around 17000 is best for 55 HZ (Powerband)

Love that engine..

Oh..main jet (High Speed) at close to 1.5 turns out...Mid needle about 2....
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Double post - sorry
Bking1340 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

9 min. O.S 55HZ-R - 22% CP. 2100rpm. FBL. Doing light 3D tic-toc`s funnel`s etc - main tank bone dry, header still full.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't get it... so there are two needles in OS50 Sx?! How would i know which one to touch?! sorry... new to nitro!

So there's a high end needle... and an idle needle?! How does it work... when to adjust each of these?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users ):>

look at smacktalk episode one good for tuning.. you really do NOT wanna mess with the low end till you know what your doing
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYORD View Post
I don't get it... so there are two needles in OS50 Sx?! How would i know which one to touch?! sorry... new to nitro!

So there's a high end needle... and an idle needle?! How does it work... when to adjust each of these?
The bigger gray one is your high end needle, and for the most part the only one you should be touching. Even then be extremely careful as to messing around with it. I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to find someone in your area that knows how to do this.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe someone can chime in on this: After engine are running temp, land, pinch the fuel line as close to carb inlet, rpm will go up slightly, engine must idle 3 - 5 seconds before cutting out. How accurate are this method on the low end?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now it's getting more complicated.... where is this low end needle located?! I hope I'm not messing with the wrong needle..

The bigger gray needle valve that has a "tic-tic" increments is the high-end needle right?! Where's the other one?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You have an OS50, right? It will only have one needle and idle. The 55 has two needles.

Craig

Here's a link to a pic of the 55.

http://www.hobbyclub.com/images/osmg1957-55HZ-R.jpg

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Now it's getting more complicated.... where is this low end needle located?! I hope I'm not messing with the wrong needle..

The bigger gray needle valve that has a "tic-tic" increments is the high-end needle right?! Where's the other one?
Take a look at page 12

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/50sx-h-manual.pdf
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

You got it right on the High end needle. The Idle needle is the one up and to the right (if the motor is in your heli) of the high end needle. It will look like a flat head screw. I wouldn't recommend touching this, as more often than not stock is just fine. The "clicking" high needle is the one you should use to primarily tune the motor.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just change my fuel from Cosmo 30% to Wildcat 15%. What to expect?

Should i lean it out or turn it richer? I'm not a hardcore 3d. Just some sports flying and mild 3d. Will i get longer flight time from this fuel or shorter?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Going from 30% to 15% nitro, you would lean it. Be careful not to lean it too much though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in