Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pheonix 25A esc setup question

I pulled a phoenix 25A esc off my plane and put it on my 250. I was setting it up with the castle link and didn't realize there were so many options. It just ran perfect on my plane.

Do I run fixed end points or gov mode? Can anybody tell me what setting they used in theirs?

Also I had to raise my low end throttle end point from 100% to 108% to get the esc to initialize in HH mode. Is this normal for a dx7? I'm pretty confused with the setup.

One last question, do I really need a bec on a 250? The guy at the LHS said no, but I wasn't sure about that. Running a scorpion 3600kv and hs65mg's.
pmflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

you need to set the esc to FIXED so u dont have to mess with the end points.

you can use gov if you want myself i tryed gov mode and never went back to other i love it.
just set the RPM you wish you rheli to have then set the radio 100 100 100 100 100 100

you should be fine w/o a seprate BEC but maybe not a external one would be a safe idea.

if you do not have the usb cable for the esc I would get one its so much easier to do with it.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
dze
Registered Users

i agree on the castle link its easier to see everything .. on mine i dont use governor i run a curve so i just use the 'airplane' mode and all the settings pertaining to throttle response and power to max .. i always adjust endpoints not only to get it to initialize at the place i want at the bottom but also to be sure the esc's high point coincides exactly or just a hair below high stick so i get an accurate curve, in other words i dont want a 90% figure in my curve to wind up being 100 to the esc .. anyway thats how i do it for a curve - airplane mode and its simple set spool up power to a low figure and there wont be an issue there .. on the bec i am a firm believer in them for any cp heli running 3S or more with digital servos, even if the esc and system can handle it without causing major problems i look at it like servo power and response will suffer without a bec and on the 250 that already has a touchy tail the last thing i want is a servo not performing to its max potential going on back there ...
dze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What do you mean by setting the radio to 100 100..... ? Is there an advantage using gov mode. Not really sure what it does other then maintain a constant head speed. I do have the castle link and usb cord. I was using it on a mamba max esc for an rc truck, and thought hey let's try it on the esc and see what happens. Didn't know it worked on all of their products. So here I am with all these extra settings and I have no idea what they do for helis. Been trying to read the manuals, but still confused about the best setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
you need to set the esc to FIXED so u dont have to mess with the end points.

you can use gov if you want myself i tryed gov mode and never went back to other i love it.
just set the RPM you wish you rheli to have then set the radio 100 100 100 100 100 100

you should be fine w/o a seprate BEC but maybe not a external one would be a safe idea.

if you do not have the usb cable for the esc I would get one its so much easier to do with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you decide on gov mode you will want to go into your throttle curves on the radio and set them up like this

0/25/25/25/25 for normal

50/50/50/50/50 stunt one

100/100/100/100/100 for stunt mode 2

then you can set the gov for whatever Head speed you want.

like on my Blade 400 I have HS set of 2400 for Normal
2400 for Stunt one and 2600 for stunt 2 as id o not care to have two driffrent ones fo St1 and 2

Hope this helps, its confusion at first. the Gov mode does keep the HS at a consant HS the whole time. rather then the motor running at driffrent rpms depending on where throttle is set

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the input and clarification. I'll stick with airplane and fixed mode for now and play with it once I get the heli dialed in. Only brought it up for a hover for a few seconds until I realized something was wrong. My other 250 was easier to setup just using the align esc, but wanted to try something better.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

PM here is a report on the setup I tried out in the demo mode. when ever I add a Castle ESC I do the Throttle end point setup that I learned watching one of Finless' videos... HV85 I think...

I have the Scorpion 2208-3600 in mine, and use the CCPh25 and love the setup, mine is close to this, just higher HS with a stronger motor, but very short FTs! Next time I have it plugged in I'll shoot you the log...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im building a custom 250 piece by piece. Already have the Scoprion 2208-3600 and now its ESC shopping time. Im leaning towards the Scorp Commander or the CC Phoenix 25. Does the CCP work with Mac? Is setting it up difficult? I use program cards for my 450s and thats easy breezy.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No mac support for the Castle Creation. Sucks because I have a cc25 i would like to use but im not happy with the stick settings.

I also have a scorp commander 25. It is really big and heavy compared to the align 15a and really, really big compared to the CC

Come on castle creation! wheres are mac support?!!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

THANKS JB, exactly in the info I needed
Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome, thanks. I didn't have a chance this weekend to play with the settings, but I plan on it tonight. I'll give these a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
PM here is a report on the setup I tried out in the demo mode. when ever I add a Castle ESC I do the Throttle end point setup that I learned watching one of Finless' videos... HV85 I think...

I have the Scorpion 2208-3600 in mine, and use the CCPh25 and love the setup, mine is close to this, just higher HS with a stronger motor, but very short FTs! Next time I have it plugged in I'll shoot you the log...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet-Lama View Post
Im building a custom 250 piece by piece. Already have the Scoprion 2208-3600 and now its ESC shopping time. Im leaning towards the Scorp Commander or the CC Phoenix 25. Does the CCP work with Mac? Is setting it up difficult? I use program cards for my 450s and thats easy breezy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuck View Post
No mac support for the Castle Creation. Sucks because I have a cc25 i would like to use but im not happy with the stick settings.

I also have a scorp commander 25. It is really big and heavy compared to the align 15a and really, really big compared to the CC

Come on castle creation! wheres are mac support?!!!!

Mac support is not needed, try vmware fusion or parallels.

What is really needed is iPhone/iPod/iPad support and I'm wondering when these companies are going to catch on.
ForceFedDSM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFedDSM View Post
Mac support is not needed, try vmware fusion or parallels.

What is really needed is iPhone/iPod/iPad support and I'm wondering when these companies are going to catch on.

+1 .

btw... played with the gov settings last night. Definitly not for me right now. I like having control over the head speed and can't do hardcore 3d yet. So I'm sticking with the fixed settings, everything seems to be working pretty good, except if I'm in normal mode and panic and bring my throttle down to 0 the engine cuts off and has a REALLY slow spool up again... so no chance of recovery. Anyway to prevent this with a radio setting, or is it something in the esc?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the info is here. Look under auto rotation setup
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190885
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can help you with that... I have the auto enable setup on all my larger helis.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What you will need to do is start out by backing the motor out from the spur gear.

You have to have calibrated the throttle channel, then go into the castle link and do fixed end point, but turn on the Auto enable

We need you to find near zero in the normal mode.
We can do this by getting the battery plugged in and arming the speed control, open the throttle curve menu, now just slowly raise the TC till the ESC starts the motor, then go back 2 points, and the motor should stop. Then you set the true, or absolute zero in the TH. We can do this by unplugging the ESC and plugging it in again, when you plug in the ESC it won't arm now till you flip the TH on, then you will here the arming beeps. If it does not arm, open the TH menu and lower the value till the ESC arms with the TH on. After all this is done you will need to play with the head speed change rate to find a value that suits your needs, I have no idea what a good value would be on the 250... a guess would be 16?

Last edited by snjbird; 06-29-2010 at 09:57 PM..
snjbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That sure is a lot of mumbo jumbo. With my Align ESC you can throttle to 0 and get instant recovery as long as you dont stay at 0 throttle for more then like 2 seconds.
Are you saying with the Phoenix it goes into soft start even if you "blip" the throttle to 0?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes that is what happens, you need to understand the ESC is fully programmable, meaning you might have to do some programing to get it just how you like it? The software seems like a bit much, at first, but it does work. The CC ESC has some nice features, the Align works fine, but if you like to tinker the Castle is quit a nice unit
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

SNJ I want to thank you big. I was torn between the Align, Scorp and CCP ESC for my custom 250. (Scorpion 3900KV motor) I love to build and modify but hate programming and computer stuff, Id most likely never get that CCP running properly. Looks like Align or Scorp now. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Viet-Lama,

I too thought the programing for the Castle looked like a lot of work but my friend told me it was the way to go....long story short is it now takes me about 10 mns to fully program a Castle Creations ESC for my heli; it's easy and there are plenty of experienced folks to help you figure it out - it's worth the time!!

My Trex 250 with Scorpion 3900kv motor and 25a Phoenix rocks! Set RPM mode running 4700 RPM gives it stability, tail authority and it's hard to bog. I liked it so much my V2 and Sport now have Castle ESC's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in