Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default D02S Flips

I had a small break in the storms to fly a little and things were ok. But even with more aggressive settings the D02s doesnt hold well in flips. Anyone know why, gyro, other settings?
I've found that most times I have a crash it's equipment failure now, not pilot mistake. I wanted to try flipping the v400 but before I could the tail started going crazy. I landed luckily and took off again and it wanted to lean to the left so I'll look at the swash. The mini cp want hold flips either. I was thinking about keeping the v200 but now if I can sell it I will and get a trex 250. I know people have complained about it, but with my 450 it handles like the sim and that's what I need for improvement. Not trying to make something work that can't. Love my walkers but I'm pretty convinced now that it's not made for hard 3d, it's struggling on the light 3d I'm throwing at it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner3 View Post
I had a small break in the storms to fly a little and things were ok. But even with more aggressive settings the D02s doesnt hold well in flips. Anyone know why, gyro, other settings?
I've found that most times I have a crash it's equipment failure now, not pilot mistake. I wanted to try flipping the v400 but before I could the tail started going crazy. I landed luckily and took off again and it wanted to lean to the left so I'll look at the swash. The mini cp want hold flips either. I was thinking about keeping the v200 but now if I can sell it I will and get a trex 250. I know people have complained about it, but with my 450 it handles like the sim and that's what I need for improvement. Not trying to make something work that can't. Love my walkers but I'm pretty convinced now that it's not made for hard 3d, it's struggling on the light 3d I'm throwing at it now.
Check out ej1899 ytube channel with him flipping the D02S with no problems stock.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The gyro on the V120D02S is notoriously bad for 3D, especially if you want to do continuous 3D. The flips do tend to come out is a very skewered position so if is very difficult to continue doing another flip unless you are an expert. What you can try is to reduce the gyro gain a bit and see whether it makes any improvement. Another thing I found was that the heli flips differently with each different receiver, that is even if the settings are exactly the same.

I don't know how good the gyro of the V200D03 is for 3D. But the 2702 gyro of the V450D01 is definitely the best Walkera gyro around.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

After looking at the 250 forum maybe I will just order another reciever for my v200d03. I could probably get it flying well. Guess I'm spoiled by the trex, it flies so well! But the 120 is a lot of work to do any sort of 3d on, guess it will make me better.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

vronny, do you have a link to that vid? I've seen the video of Ali flipping but no one else. Thanks! I think I may keep my v200 after all. 60 bucks to replace the receiver instead of several hundred for a new heli.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
vronny, do you have a link to that vid? I've seen the video of Ali flipping but no one else. Thanks! I think I may keep my v200 after all. 60 bucks to replace the receiver instead of several hundred for a new heli.
I don't have the link but go to ej1899 v120D02S all his video will pop up. I had a miss hap I was flying the D03 # 2 with GA 1000 mah 25C doing some fast hard banked turns an ripped the ball off the blade grips man it wasn't pretty TH couldn't save it but was having fun. The 1000 battery is very powerful so it boost up the power in this heli alot over stock. The servo screw came out broke LG, one the blade broke in half rebuild hahaha. So I'm still flying # 1 with the thinner blades so all is not lost. p.s. They are coming out with a new 250 pro 3GX FBL with the DFC head but it will not be cheap. Still waiting on 300X but may wait can't see spending $500 for heli an a new Tx right now. I really like the tarot 450 pro FBL but no space for a build.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

So do you think the 250 with the DFC head will be the real deal? Still trying to decide on selling my v200 or buying a trex 250. My 450 is so good, want that same type of response on the 250 side.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So do you think the 250 with the DFC head will be the real deal? Still trying to decide on selling my v200 or buying a trex 250. My 450 is so good, want that same type of response on the 250 side.
I don;t know about the 250 with DFC head this will be a new heli. I enjoy my V200. It seems like the new DFC heads have added something to the bigger heli that have made the change seems like everybody have talked good things about the upgrades so far. I think it take more efford to get the trex 250 to perform good..
Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't flown a V200D03 but I can tell you the differences between a 250 and 450 FBL

- The 250 is much more durable than the 450 if you fly it over grass.

- It is almost as stable as a 450 in similar wind conditions.

- Both use the same sized servo. If you use the metal geared DS410M in the 250, it is very unlikely to strip. However, it will still strip and burn like crazy on a 450 FBL. In fact, may serious fliers have switched to using the extremely expensive MKS-DS95 for their cyclic servos.

- The old FBL head of the 250 has a serious weakness with its blade grips. The ball link is easily damaged and may come loose in a crash, therefore damaging the blade grip. It is possible the DFC head may solve this problem.

Concerning flipping on the V120D02S. I have done a few thousand now and it is still quite unpredictable. However, I rarely crash doing flips anymore and so it should be alright as long as you are not that ambitious i.e. stick to single flips. In order to minimize mishaps, the motor and batteries should be in top condition. Also, it is not a good idea to try flips in strong wind.

If you look at the videos of experienced pilots, you will find most of the flips are actual half-flips followed a brief pause and then another half-flip to complete the cycle. I believe the pause allows the heli to recover headspeed as well as composure, so that it is much easier to complete the rest of the flip. I can do now do this at below eye-level but I have no confidence of doing a complete flip at that level. Moreover, I have seen videos of the heli doing a series of consecutive full flips. I believe it was Manny who said it was extremely difficult with this heli. Front and backflips are one thing but side flips are even more difficult, especially R side flips. If you try a R flip, the chances that the nose will turn almost 90 degrees once you have reached the inverted position. I have had a number of crashes because of this and there avoid doing them on the V120D02S. I suppose I could compensate manually but I am not at that level yet. Right now, I would prefer to concentrate on inverted flight and transitions rather than flips.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great info. I do see a lot of posts about the trex problems. Maybe it will be better to try adding the receiver for the v200d03 and see if that fixes it. It will be a lot less expensive at least.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crashed the d02s twice today in grass because the gyro doesn't understand what's happening I guess. Got inverted, flew a little but it always tilts and I have to correct it. Then while sustaining inverted it just went crazy and down. Is the gyro too high, what's up? Just when I think about getting the receiver for my v200 this turns me off from spending the money towards that.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Crashed the d02s twice today in grass because the gyro doesn't understand what's happening I guess. Got inverted, flew a little but it always tilts and I have to correct it. Then while sustaining inverted it just went crazy and down. Is the gyro too high, what's up? Just when I think about getting the receiver for my v200 this turns me off from spending the money towards that.
I have gone through 200 packs of inverted flight with the V120D02S without gyro problems. The heli does tilt to the L when hovering inverted, but this occurs with other helis as well. I would look for other causes for your crashes, such as a loose collar, a loose receiver, or vibrations that may be confusing your gyro.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've certainly had vibrations that cause problems during flips and other 3d moves with my d02s. It's always flipped nicely though. I'm betting you have an overlooked problem or setting if you're not able to get into 3d with it. It's definitely not the helicopter. I can do almost everything with the d02s that I can with my 600. Might not be quite as smooth or agile, but it gets done. I'd try to start with balancing the blades a bit and see if that helps. Vibrations can mess around with the gyro, especially when you put different pitches into each blade, such as on a flip or roll.

Also, if it's suddenly flying out of control, you could have a half-stripped servo that's acting up only once in every few flights, causing a sudden pitch change to one direction or the other. The problem is finding this servo. It can be hard, especially if the stripped teeth only line up once in a while. You'd have to see which way it's wanting to pitch out of control, and conclude with which servo would cause that action. I've had an elevator servo do this, and in most cases, it seems like the elevator servo is the culprit.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great info, thanks! I have flipped this Heli before and it's been fine, so maybe something else is going on. I'll get to the bottom of it while I'm repairing the trex tomorrow. Maybe I can get in the air before the sun goes down.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone have pics of their receiver? Maybe I have something set wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in