Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Your Thoughts: My Head Speed Options!

Hey guys,

I posted something on here about battery voltage and head speed a few days ago... I'd like to refine my thought/question...

I am trying to figure out how to adjust my head speed by changing as little as possible on my current rig (for money sake)

I have a Chaos600e (trex knockoff) stretched to 700 running 710mm wide chord Spin Blades FBL. 12s 5000mah batteries, scorpion 4035-560kv motor, scorpion opto130amp HV ESC... I think I have a 12 tooth pinion on right now (easily changed)

So i believe my head speed with the current set up is going to be way to high and put a lot of load on the motror trying to spin those blades that fast...

should i...

A.) Buy a lower KV motor such as 450kv to try to lower my head speed that way (I can still play with pinions)

B.) Change to a 10s battery setup to lower my head speed that way (still can play with pinions)

C.) Run a 6s battery setup by running in parallell instead of series

D.) Just chang out my pinion to try to vary head speed (I think with a 6mm shaft i can only get down to like 10 or 11 teeth.)

Please feel free to let me know your opinion or thoughts. Ill take any help I can get. I have had the bird for a few years and put the project on the side... I now want to get it up in the air without ripping it appart or spending a bunch of money on it... I hope thats possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Kevin

P.S. I am running a 170 tooth main gear i believe.
Kevin41389 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By the number and the info you supplied.....

170 / 12 = 14.166 GR

560Kv * 44.4V = 24864

24864 / 14.166 GR = ~ 1755 RPM * 85%eff = 1491 HS @100% throttle

Exactly what HS do you wish to run?

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good question, I have been learning about wide chord blades, and have been hearing a lot of people talking about being able to produce close to equivalent lift by spinning wide chord blades at a lower rpm as compared to similar sized blades with a more narrow or standard chord... I guess I'm looking for advice on a good starting rpm based on my setup and I'd like to toy with it from there.

The main reason I haven't had it in the air to test different speeds is because I am not sure if my current power setup is geared for my airfoil setup (rotor size/style if that makes sense) and on top of those two things, can it be an efficient machine for longer flights (relative to say an 8 minute flight) or will it just be hard on my batteries/esc/motor.

Again, thanks for the response! I've been excited to get this going, and I appreciate any help that speeds things up for me!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In your current configuration ( if correct ) you should be able to run from 1491 RPM down to ~ 1050 RPM safely.....
Might suggest you start there and see how your machine reacts.
As to flight times.. that depends on a few things ...
Helicopter weight
Payload
Blades

Another possible option would be to run on 6S, withe proper gearing (main and pinion)
it would be possible to drop your HS and lower your current draw during flight.

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I had thought about trying it as a 6s setup... Same 560kv motor, 170tooth main gear, and a 17tooth pinion at 85% efficiency. That puts me at 1057 on paper, just wasn't sure if that was to low of a head speed originally.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

C'mon, you guys are going to either get me in trouble at work or at home because im spending so much time researching this topic. I have learned a ton so far, but im still missing one piece of info that i consider vital... a recomended head speed for basic photography/video with a helmet cam or dslr on a stretch 600 spinning 710mm wide chord spinblades. weight is around 16lbs RTF

I just want a good starting point so i can adjust my gearing to get me close and fine tune from there.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried the wide chord blades and they had too much lift. I never ran them down too low though. I found lower rpms caused more vibrations. 1420-1450 was best with 800 blades. 1500 for windier conditions.
Mapoff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a set of 620mm I believe, spinblades. At 1400rpm they were quite and sounded like "real helicopter blades". I was using a 430kv Cobra motor as recommended by "DJ" at PS1 with them for the lower rotor speed.
They act more like wings on an airplane with lift. I use 620 rotortechs at about 1600rpm and get good results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in