Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX 18 verses DX 18G2

I know that the DX18 Gen 2 has new voice telem and wireless trainer but is the screen better, gimbles any different etc. I already have the DX18 V1 but want a spare/backup radio and my DX9 just doesn't cut it / feel as good compared to my DX18.
ncampion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is my understanding that the only differences between the two generations are the two features that you mentioned; voice telemetry and wireless trainer link.

What is your goal with a backup transmitter?
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I bought mine is Australia which means that technically I'm not supposed to use it in the EU. Also, I want a backup radio that I can use if, for some reason my own DX18 had to be repaired for any reason. I compete a lot and will be going to the World F3N champs in Austria next year and therefore, I really need to have an official EU radio - although they never looked at our radios in the last Worlds. So, the feel is very important to me and the DX9 is no good for me a pincher - it was the same with the DX8, the case gets in the way of my index finger.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not 100% sure but I think that the new dx18 v2 uses diff gimbles. Probably worth trying one out to see if there is much diff before you buy. You may be better off buying a used V1 or an old stock one. I personally do not see the need to upgrade my V1 dx18. It works perfectly for me.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like my v1 DX18. I recently purchased the VBar Control transmitter, but sold it at a substantial loss. The DX18 feels better to me.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Essentially this is a backup radio and I've very happy with my DX18v1. The voice thing does nothing for me personally but I know a lot of guys who love it on their DX9s. The ergonomics of the case is why I love my DX18 and I know the G2 is the same. Just curious about any other differences they may have made but not said anything about.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncampion View Post
I bought mine is Australia which means that technically I'm not supposed to use it in the EU. Also, I want a backup radio that I can use if, for some reason my own DX18 had to be repaired for any reason. I compete a lot and will be going to the World F3N champs in Austria next year and therefore, I really need to have an official EU radio - although they never looked at our radios in the last Worlds. So, the feel is very important to me and the DX9 is no good for me a pincher - it was the same with the DX8, the case gets in the way of my index finger.
If you wanna follow the rule you can change the region to EU but you can't go back easily. I've been flying on lesser RF power for over a year and have not had any problems.
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you change it to an EU radio? I tried just clicking on it in the setup and it won't let me change it there!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How do you change it to an EU radio? I tried just clicking on it in the setup and it won't let me change it there!
I did it inadvertently during one of the previous Airware upgrades. I do not remember which one but when you have a look at the history on their website you will see it there. To change it back to US though can only be done by an authorised service centre.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, but I don't think you can go back to a previous update!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't think you can go back to a previous update!
Not sure about that. But if you really want to do the right thing it can be changed by an authorised repairer both ways while you wait if you have access to one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in