Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 450l dominator upgrades!

Hi all
Ive treated myself to the 6s dominator and was just wondering of any upgrades that are needed?
I normaly buy the kde metal tail arms and will upgrade the feathering shaft and lynx links was just wondering if there is anything else worth doing?

Many thanks
Dukesy500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

AR7200BX

THat's all I did to mine aside from some cosmetics and RJX blades. Flies great.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd recommend the Lynx 450 DFC links, and that's about it!

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
I'd recommend the Lynx 450 DFC links, and that's about it!
I have some of these on the way. I figured I'd try the red ones and match the electronics.

As far as other "upgrades" to the 450l, you could put more torque tube bearings. I'm running three of them.
Sefrez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefrez View Post
I have some of these on the way. I figured I'd try the red ones and match the electronics.

As far as other "upgrades" to the 450l, you could put more torque tube bearings. I'm running three of them.
Yes I forgot about the extra TT bearings!

I too am running 3 bearings. Super smooth. :thumb up:

The red lynx dfc arms match the servos and stock esc perfectly. Literally the exact same shade of red, at least on mine. It looks really nice. Another reason I like the lynx DFC arms is because they are meant to be a sacrificial part. DFC heads are rough on servos as you know, so if the lynx links (lol) can absorb some of that crash energy, great!

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!! all ordered woooo hooo cant wait!!!

oh yeah is 100% tc standard with the stock pinion?

Hardcore 3d machine, just gota watch out for the ground yeee haaa
Dukesy500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesy500 View Post
Thanks Guys!! all ordered woooo hooo cant wait!!!

oh yeah is 100% tc standard with the stock pinion?

Hardcore 3d machine, just gota watch out for the ground yeee haaa
100 percent would be a little too high in my opinion. A flat 80 percent curve is 3200 head speed. Thats enough for me, but if you're wanting to use the built in governer (which I would if I were you) then 80 percent is as high as you want to go anyway.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Build your own carbon push rod and ditch the weak stock one.
Add 500 landing gear or shim stock landing gear to gain tail blade clearance.
Millelacschopper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you guys have problems with the torque tube. Mine started wobbling inside the boom and rubbing. I'm running two support bearings now but does three really necessary?

Something I'd like to see someone release is a slant gear for the tail drive gear. Maybe it doesn't make very much noise but it seems to me like it would make it even quieter. Maybe it would put too much thrust pressure on the one way bearing or something? Might take a lot more than just a couple new gears to design something like that. That's the only upgrade I'd like to see and buy if it would make the heli even quieter.
Toadster25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
Did you guys have problems with the torque tube. Mine started wobbling inside the boom and rubbing. I'm running two support bearings now but does three really necessary?

Something I'd like to see someone release is a slant gear for the tail drive gear. Maybe it doesn't make very much noise but it seems to me like it would make it even quieter. Maybe it would put too much thrust pressure on the one way bearing or something? Might take a lot more than just a couple new gears to design something like that. That's the only upgrade I'd like to see and buy if it would make the heli even quieter.
Yes, I had the rubbing as well. I bench tested the heli with an additional bearing added, and it was fine. I added a third bearing and did the same test, and that's when I got the best results.

So no, I don't think a third bearing is necessary, but it did make a difference for me.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Download lightning quick reflexes in your brain. Have some front tt gears on hand for when not if the tail blades touch anything.
BP58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP58 View Post
Download lightning quick reflexes in your brain. Have some front tt gears on hand for when not if the tail blades touch anything.
My tail blades have touched all sorts of things at all kinds of head speeds. Not a single stripped gear, literally.

I'm not saying that to infer that the gears don't strip easily, more that there must be something that predisposes some helis to strip gears and some that won't. I've literally ground my blades on concrete after a funky auto (repeated strikes with enough speed to grind down the tail blades so they are rounded at the end instead of square); chewed up tall grass and thick weeds, etc. Nothing I have done has affected the TT gears at all. I must have one of the helis which doesn't strip gears hardly ever, while others are on the other end of the spectrum.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millelacschopper View Post
Build your own carbon push rod and ditch the weak stock one.
Add 500 landing gear or shim stock landing gear to gain tail blade clearance.
Nice idea RE the landing gear. Do you know if the 500 landing gear is a direct fit to the 450L mounts?

I plan to make my own carbon push rod, I already made one for my 250 DFc and that works great, but I run it completely un-supported, which is fine on the 250 as it's so small, but I feel it would need some support on a 450 sized heli. I'm just not sure how to support it. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

MB
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a 3mm tube - no support needed. It's very good
Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500 skids fit but you need to drill a hole in center of plastic mounts to bolt into the 450L
The carbon push tube i made didn't need any supports either. Here is my L with 500 skids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	519659
Millelacschopper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

O.K. Thanks guys!!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesy500 View Post
Hi all
Ive treated myself to the 6s dominator and was just wondering of any upgrades that are needed?
I normaly buy the kde metal tail arms and will upgrade the feathering shaft and lynx links was just wondering if there is anything else worth doing?

Many thanks
I changed my skids to Align trex 500 skids. I fly in random fields with irregular terrain and have bumped the tail more than a few times. The 500 skids are awesome, I think look really cool, and I can keep my tail out of the dirt. I can see it much better and it also has that wider stance adding to ground handling and stability.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I may try a set of those 500 skids..

I forgot I also have the Helioption adjustable DFC links:

They're verraaa niiize. Super easy to adjust, just stick your 1mm allen in the hole and twist.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Carbon tail linkage rod?

Hi guys, I have just gone and brought myself a 3S Dominator, more than enough for my abilities. Got the Heli option turn buckle DFC and servo linkages, as well as a 500 skid coming. They would have to be the best upgrades I have brought to be honest. I had them on an older 450. Any way how are you guys making your carbon tail linkage? How are you securing the threaded ends? I have a couple of turnbuckle linkages I was thinking of using. This would make every linkage on the heli a turnbuckle. Nice for making those slight setup adjustments.
Necroscope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tarot makes a ready to install c.f. tail push rod. You can grab that one from tarot-rc.com or make your own w the stock push rod inserted into a hollow c.f. tube cut to size. Your pick. Imo both work well.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in