Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Whiplash FBL build Experience

I have completed about 98% of my build, I am only missing my ESC Programing which I should be able to finish up this weekend. Figured I would give my thoughts and views on the Whiplash since it is so new and there is very little info available for it.

First of I would like to point out all the design improvements that have been incorporated from the Furry 55 and the Furion 6, both of which I own…

1. the landing gear on the Whiplash is massive and very stiff. These things are many times larger than the T-rex 700e gear is. Wider, longer and the skids are 10mm dia. Anyone who did not like the Furion 6 skids will surely be satisfied with this design improvement. The struts are also very easy to replace one at a time. I think the skids might bend In a crash, but the struts are going to be able to handle a lot of abuse. The frames are stiffened with an additional 2mm of carbon fiber ( total of 4mm) were the struts attach to the frames.

2. My other MA helis always had a small amount of play between the main shaft and the main bearings. No a lot, but just enough to make me think the shaft was loose. The Whiplash has no play at all. the head is very tight and I have no play in my blade holders either. I think the first batch of kits has some head play, but the newer batch that I received did not have any play at all.

3. the third bearing block and the removal of the main shaft collar is also a very nice improvement. I never liked having to insert the shaft collar while inserting the main gear at the same time. I usually had to do it a couple of times before I got it right. the new design uses the third bearing block to remove the vertical play from the main shaft and it is very easy to do..

4. the addition of a torque tube is something that a lot of people have been wanting and they really made it strong. The gears are easy to replace and very strong. The front torque tube gears housing is all aluminum and built like a tank. I would be very surprised if anyone was able to break it in a crash unless you did a full speed nose dive… The weakest point in any torque tube assembly is usually the one that will break in a crash, in this case it appears to be the torque tube itself and MA has made this part very inexpensive to buy. It think it’s only 7.00 dollars. The tube ends are removable and reusable and the bearing cups are very durable and easy to slide in and out of the boom. The rear gear box is also very easy to remove and service or provide access to the torque tube. The boom has alignment holes on both ends so there is no need to level the rear gear box before you clamp it to the boom.

5. the canopy mounts were also improved to make them more durable and easier to take on and off. The old system would constantly pinch the rubber grommets and tear them apart easily. The new system has a sleeve built into the canopy standoffs. The rubber canopy grommets slide onto the canopy standoff sleeve and the retaining screws simply keep them from coming off. The old system had the canopy grommets sleeve on the retaining screws and they were very hard to tighten up before flying. The new ones are very easy to use. I will not be replacing these with aftermarket systems like I did on my other MA helis.

6. The servo placement is also simplified and is very easy to adjust for different types of servos. It took me a little time to figure out which spacers needed to go were for my servos, but this is due to the fact that there is no info available yet since this kit is so new. My V-bar was very easy to set up. I did need to purchase a few M2.5X14mm bolts to accommodate the extra servo spacers I used for my Savox servos. I would be surprised if they did not start to include the longer bolts in the kits very soon.

7. the frame and drive train are exactly what I expected from MA. They are very strong and durable. I could not find anything that would be a week point in the system. Other than the usual bearings, torque tube, boom, servo links, landing gear and screws, I could not see any parts that I wanted to stock for quick repairs.. I usually always stock parts that I think I will need to replace after a crash.

8. the motor mounting and gear mesh adjustment has been combined into one step and it makes setting the gear mesh a thing of the past… all three available pinions have a hole in the frames that will set the motor mount in the correct position to achieve the factory recommended gear mesh. No more sliding the motor in and using paper to set the mesh, it’s already set up for you.

Overall I was very impressed with my build. There is only one improvement I would like to see MA make on the Whiplash. I would really like a sliding battery tray, it would make the battery replacement much easier. The current system is not difficult, but I have grown used to the sliding trays and it is a real convenience. I saw an MA video on you tube mentioning that a sliding battery try kit would most likely be a future addition. I would certainly buy it when it is released. There is always room for improvement, but there is nothing on the heli that would keep me from buying another one or recommending one to a friend.

I have seen some posts form some users expressing concern that the heli was tail heavy. I found that with my Kontroniks ESC, 3800MAH flight pack and 5300MAH Gen Ace packs I was actually able to make the heli nose heavy by sliding my flight pack down an inch or so. There was plenty of room in the canopy for this. I was able to do this with the packs mounted to the supplied battery tray. I did not need to flip the bottom frame mount and use it for a battery mount. I guess the heavier 3800MAH flight pack made the difference. I always preferred a larger flight pack.
With my style of flying it never seems to make any difference.

This heli is a true monster, the size dwarfs anything I have seen to date in the 700 class. it’s larger than the 7HV. I would not be at all surprised to see MA release a 800 stretch kit for the Whiplash, the frame is certainly big enough to handle the 800 class packs and motor.

I will post some pictures soon and also give an update when I get her flying. I have 3 days of sunny 70+ degree weather this weekend, so I will be flying, I save my builds for the cold days…

Feel free to chime in and add to my thread with any experiences you may have (Good or Bad). these threads really helped me when I was looking for a new heli, so it’s always nice to return the favorer to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WL1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	278104   Click image for larger version

Name:	WL5.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	278105   Click image for larger version

Name:	WL7.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	278106   Click image for larger version

Name:	WL3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	278107  

Last edited by whittb; 01-04-2012 at 10:41 AM..
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Changes

I feel the battery slide out tray is unnecessary. If you put them in w/ wires towards the back it's very easy to replace them.
The one improvement they should make is to turn the tail servo sideways . I did this for cog w/ the esc in its proposed spot. other then that I love this machine. it is so responsive and powerful with a 4035 - 500 motor. maybe if I was a harder flying pilot I would think this motor lax but the way I fly it is perfect and I'm not very good with my cyclic.

loving the biggest,best 700 available and weighs in under 12 pounds which is amazing considering all the smaller 700s are about the same weight and more.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great writeup ,,

Now I'm even more anxious that the postman delivers mine soon.....
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Whiplash

you'll love it
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's like a dead ringer for my build experience. Only real complaint was the battery tray thing. Everything else was well thought out and seems much beefier than the majority of the other 90's on the market.

Tust me... throw some 710's on it and keep the head speed around 2000rpm. It will absolutely blow your mind and how responsive it is and still give very efficient flight times.

The drivetrain has proven to be extremely efficient during autos and the combination of that and 710's has provided the opportunity to really take my autos to the next level.
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with everything!

Only thing I might argue: The canopy mounts are an improvement over the Fury 55/Furion 6 for sure, but I still HATE thumb screws. I love the RC Booya mounts.

Talking with Jeff, he recommended using T-Rex 700 front mounts in place of the rear mounts on the Whiplash, which is what I'm using right now. I just wish he made a set that mounts in the front. RC Booya canopy mounts are amazing!
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rcbooya mounts

I bought the 700 nitro set which is 4 mounts. I used the small ones for the rear and cut down the front ones retapping them deeper and use a rubber o-ring without the rubber bushing. This way they work excellent. Major improvement.
P.s. If you choose this method make sure you don't cut down the mounts too far so there's no material to thread into.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Frito,

Hmm. How far did you cut down the long ones? Are they a similar length to the short ones?

I could just buy another set of the short ones, since he sells them separate....
dchekas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cut down mounts

Cut them down to 17.6 mm any more and there wouldnt have been enough material to thread. the short ones are 21 millimeters
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default more pics

My Kontronik ESC was D.O.A so I am going with a Castle Creations 160HV and a Scorpion 530KV motor. I hope to have it in a week or two…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WL2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	278108   Click image for larger version

Name:	WL4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	278109   Click image for larger version

Name:	GROUP 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	278110   Click image for larger version

Name:	GROUP3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	278111  
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

whittb,
How WIDE is the main gear? It looks to be about 14 to 15 mm. Would you measure it, please?
Thanks
Ben
Mr. Ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Main gear is 12mm ....
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: TSA 700N & G; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice MA Fleet.
Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	278262  
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maidened my E Whiplash yesterday , OH What a heli !!!

Still babying new Pulse 65C packs , but this machine has serious balls......

If only I could fly as well as it can .....
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default re

Nice MA fleet to you as well.. I plan on adding a Whiplash nitro one day, but It won’t be any time soon… 90 class nitro’s are expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in