Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default New MB on Velocity 50

I just finished setting up the MB on my Velocity. This is my second MB, the first one was on a T-Rex 600N.

I'm using Align DS610 servos on cyclic with the 3G servo wheels (the same ones I had on the T-Rex). The control balls needed to be mounted in the inner holes of the wheels in order to get 6 degrees and the blue light. I tried them in the outer holes first since that was where they were with the fly bar head, but the blue light didn't come until 7 degrees.

I had the swash plate set up as 140* 1:1 when I first built it the heli with a fly bar head. I chose to leave it the same for a few reasons, mainly because the MB supports it. I'm using the new style FBL swash plate.

For the head, I'm using the Outrage FBL conversion for .50 size helis. I have the jesus bolt going through the center hole in the head. I have the control ball for the pitch control lever on the blade grip mounted in the outer hole.

For the MB unit, I have it mounted on the servo tray using two layers of Scotch/3M 411 tape. It is very stiff/rigid with this tape. My only concern for the maiden is that the tape is too stiff. On the T-Rex, I was using the stock gray (soft) pad with a tight strap, and it flew just fine, no bad habits. However, I've noticed that many of you guys are running two strips of this tape, or the 4010, or 4011 just fine, so that takes most of the worry out of it. Also the video by Ron Lund shows him recommending similar tape for mounting it up.

I'll report back with pics and such.

The weather is decent today, so hopefully I'll get some time this afternoon/evening to go out to the field.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good luck Bob, I hope it all goes well, I'm sure it will. As a matter of interest why did you go for 411 as opposed to 4011, or 4010, or for that matter what is the difference between all these three?

Thanks

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I actually bought a roll of the 4010 and brought it home before I realized it was for "indoor" use, and that 4011 was the stuff spec'd for outdoor use/weather resistant. However I couldn't locate any 4011 in my area.

I watched the Ron Lund video, and he recommended the 3M automotive molding tape, which seemed to me to be the same stuff as the 4011. The best match I could find was the 411 tape. And one last thing was that I've read success stories from a bunch of HF threads with both the 4010 and 4011 tape.

I ended up using the 411 over the 4010 because it had a "foam" property to it, whereas the 4010 seemed to be made of gel, like thick tape rather than a foam pad. It probably doesn't make a difference. However, I'll bring the 4010 with me to the field in case there's some weird behavior right from the start. I don't know how hard it is to unstick this tape, but at least I'll bring it along in case I need to try something different.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah, okay, thanks for that info. Once again, good luck.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

bob i dont know if it matters or not but i had the jesus bolt going thru center hole too going by my friends fusion 50 but then had a look at the manual and the velo say to use the lower hole. so i redid the head setup using the lower hole but i dont know if there will be any ill effects to using the center hole, cause at the time i was having pitch problems witch turned out to be the elevator arm set screws were stripped.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running a Beast on my velo50 with one layer of 3M tape and have had no problems at all.
I don't think you can make the mount too stiff for these units. They like a very solid mount.
Your gonna luv that heli..
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks guys! Everything went well. No need to read any further unless you have a few minutes you want to waste. Besides, it could be good for a laugh or two, at my own expense of course.

So I arrived at field and hauled the heli and support stuff out to the pit area. Put the heli on a stand and proceed to check it over. I was primarily concerned with making sure the MB was set up properly per the Tuning Guide. So I went through the Parameter menu and proceeded to do a flight control check.....negative pitch with the swash plate going up?

It only took a few seconds to realize that I set up the head with trailing-edge control. Good thing I always bring my work box (heli setup stuff and tools) when I go flying. It only took a few minutes to remove the main blades, pop the PC ball links, remove one blade grip control ball, and rotate the blade grips 180 degrees. And put it all back together.

So, in order to be safe about the whole thing, I went through setup again, which didn't take long at all. Made sure everything was still centered, leveled, 6* and blue, collective pitch range, etc. Fired the heli up and carried it out to the runway. No one else from my club made it out today.

Anyway, I started out in Extreme mode (didn't care for transmitter mode on the T-Rex 600N), but with everything else on low (gain, heading hold, pitching up, etc.). Took two flights to get the gain set, increase heading hold, increase pitching up behavior, and tweak P1, P2, and P3 a little. Having a limited amount of time today, I saved the third flight for just flying around. The first two flights were done without the canopy.........what a freakin' mess! It's amazing where the oil from the exhaust will get to after a bunch of backwards flight. I put the canopy on for the last flight.

I'm just as impressed with the MB on the Velocity as I was when I put it on the T-Rex last spring. The two layers of 411 tape didn't cause any problems that I saw or felt. With some more tweaking to come in the next three or four flights, it can only get better. I had forgotten about the power increase that comes with a FBL head. After getting the gain and HH set, I did a full pitch (12*) climb-out to check how straight it would track. I was amazed at how much faster it was.

I'll increase collective to 13 degrees before I fly again. There were a few maneuvers when 12 degrees of collective wasn't quite enough. 13 should be a lot better.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats on the maiden
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar78 View Post
bob i dont know if it matters or not but i had the jesus bolt going thru center hole too going by my friends fusion 50 but then had a look at the manual and the velo say to use the lower hole. so i redid the head setup using the lower hole but i dont know if there will be any ill effects to using the center hole, cause at the time i was having pitch problems witch turned out to be the elevator arm set screws were stripped.
+1 on this..
the Outrage head on both the Fusion and the Velocity is supposed to be in the bottom hole.

you wont get enough throw with it low riding in the middle.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeveeSiN View Post
+1 on this..
the Outrage head on both the Fusion and the Velocity is supposed to be in the bottom hole.

you wont get enough throw with it low riding in the middle.
Since my conversion kit didn't come with an instruction sheet or manual, I went mainly by this picture. Mine looks exactly like this, except 140 deg CCPM. The other thing was that the PC rods seemed to be sized appropriately for use in the middle hole.

As far as not having enough throw, I don't get it. I didn't change the height of my swash plate, and the FBL swash follower (if you set it up so the arms are level) limits the travel of the swash, not the head. At least not with the jesus bolt in the second (middle) hole. Mounting the head in the bottom hole would only change the height of the head/disc, the position/height of the swash follower would still be in the same location.

Besides, I get all the throw I need for setup. I got the blue light at 6 degrees, I got the blue light during the cyclic limits, and I can go over 13 degrees of collective if I want. Unless I'm missing something, which I have before. But I don't think there's a problem with it in the second hole. As I mentioned, my setup looks identical to the one in this pic.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm just going off the Fusion/Velocity FBL setup manuals.

both clearly show on ours to use the bottom hole.

but hey if it's working for you. by all means fly that way.

dont mess with what works.

running a lower disk could enable a boom strike or eating of the tail blades.

the other holes are there for other helis as many 600s can use this head.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I just snapped these pics of my head. They're all with the swash level at mid-stick and zero degrees of pitch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010056.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	247565   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010057.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	247566   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010058.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	247567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010059.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	247568  

Last edited by Bob O; 10-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: removed duplicate pic
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeveeSiN View Post
I'm just going off the Fusion/Velocity FBL setup manuals.

both clearly show on ours to use the bottom hole.

but hey if it's working for you. by all means fly that way.

dont mess with what works.

running a lower disk could enable a boom strike or eating of the tail blades.

the other holes are there for other helis as many 600s can use this head.
Good info and advice, Ceevee.

I'll have to catch up with you guys later. We're getting ready to head out the door for a day at the state fair. I can already feel my feet, knees, and back screaming for mercy.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Good info and advice, Ceevee.

I'll have to catch up with you guys later. We're getting ready to head out the door for a day at the state fair. I can already feel my feet, knees, and back screaming for mercy.
Awesome Bob have a Funnel Cake for me have Fun!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Velocity is the heli that I hate the most with the stupid gyro mount
make my beastx crazy because its vibration, just crash it one time, and you will see.
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

i doubt the gyro mount is what caused ur vibes i think you need to look for other things that would cause a vibes, i have a beastx on that gyro mount and it flies great. bob looks great hope it flies great too
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only time I had a problem with vibes on mine was when a bearing was going out or something was bent. I don't think the mount has anything to do with it.
These things are so sensetive that it will even pick up when your motor bearings are getting ready to go before you hear the noise..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in