Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #1941 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Phewwwww huh Kevin? Be careful, my friend.

Glad to hear you're back in the sky, Dru. How's fhe job search going?

Chris
maddog57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #1942 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I am now over 120 rejection letters

I am getting stuff done around the house with all of my free time.

I sold some Nexus 30 parts to a guy to make money to upgrade my MX450. Well I ordered (3) digi servos, GY48V gyro, Carona 919 digi tail servo, motor and ESC. Well I am out of Deans Ultra connectors and they are sold out of the 4mm bullet connectors with the plastic protectors. So, I HATE!!!!!!! Deans with a passion. So the MX450 is down until I can order the bullet connectors or EC3's

Flying the 30 sized nitro bird is like flying an aircraft carrier compared to the Cypher. I had forgotten how they are lazy compared to the 450's. They also handle the winds a lot better too.

On windy days, the Cypher reminds me of the squirrel from Over the Hedge on Red Bull.

I am still trying to decide if I want to track down the parts for my Diablo or part it out on Ebay.

Kevin, how is the thumb? Now you have an excuse when you crash. You can blame it on the thumb now.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #1943 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dru, i had the detrum Gy48 (if this is the GY48 you speak of ) I put it on my exi with a ino lab servo .. it had a drift to it .. took it off and put a 401 on with a Futaba s9257.. rock solid now any way .. shoulda said somethin , i woulda gave it to you ( still will if you need it )

Well now that the EXI is all set up ( took it out for a hover today ) time to re work my Cypher ..anyone put a bec on there Cypher? i'm gonna put a castle http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html on mine and re do my electrics but not sure where to put it ... any suggestions? i have the esc under the gyro at the moment .. i want it to look nice and tucked away .. also , does anyone know where i can get some wire wrap cheap ??
if anyone has pics of a good setup , please share

hee hee.. i love these little guys .
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #1944 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kevin,

I had a BEC on the Cypher, but I took it off when the stock ESC expired. I replace it with a CC Ice 50, which actually has a 5 amp BEC built in)

In all honesty, I cannot remember where I mounted the BEC. I probably put it underneath (where you had yours on the EXI). It could be mounted to the side of the frame as well.

As long as airflow can get to it, it should be fine.

By the way, occasionally, I have seen a ESC or BEC too close to a gyro and cause the servo to gradually move to one side (only seen it twice in about six years).

Dru,

Sorry to hear about the rejection letters. It will get better sir.

Your comparison between the Raptor 30 and the Cypher is extremely accurate, by the way.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #1945 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know the GY48V gyro has drift. It is a little better then the G401b gyrd. They both have drift. They are equal to the old Telebee gyro I had in my nexus for years. It would never hold in a hover, yet if you did any hard collective inputs, it stayed right freakin there.

With money being an issue, I did not want to put the cash out for a 401. I have a GY401 in my Raptor, talking about a locked in tail. It is just great. I may, some how, figure out how to get another GY401. I have an Airtorincs 94761 digi servo that works great with it.

I do not hold a lot of hope for a $12.00 gyro having any where near the performance of the real GY401. I have read a lot of threads of guys using the latest and greatest gyro's and having nothing but trouble with them. They then put on a trusty GY401 and life is good. There are places the GY401 just can not keep up. The fast backward flight and some of the tail first maneuvers.

Heliproz has the GY401 for $140.00. Hard to pass up that deal.

No BEC for me. For some unknown reason, my stock ESC and motor are running fine.

I do like how the CYpher just SNAPS when you hit the sticks. I have a lot of EXPO dialed to calm it down. Yet the 30 sized nitro being the lazy easy to fly is soooooooooo much fun too.

Thanks Kevin. I will take the gyro, I can find it a good home. I have wanted to try a gyro on the rudder of one of my planes. They say it helps when hovering?

Dru.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #1946 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dru , pm me you full name and address and i'll drop it in the mail.
my uncle flys planks (for years) says he uses gyros to level out his landings ect ect ..

on another note.. stupid me didnt lock tite my EXI .. so as i'm tryin to hover with my broken thumb , i start to get a drift .. s i land it to change batteries and check it out , 2 screws fall out of the canopy ! (the top bearing holder for the main shaft)
stupid stupid stupid .... so now it's on the bench getting ready to be FULLY taken apart and lock~tite EVERYTHING...
just wanted to share my "idiosism" with all
Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #1947 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kevin, I would like to say I have NEVER done that. Yet I have. I did a main shaft replacement and forgot to loctite everything as I put it back together. I was lucky. I started to get this strange side to side shake. It was pretty slow but it would shake like a belly dancer. I landed and the screws in the top bearing bloke were loose.

Glad you have a helicopter to take apart and put back together.

Dru.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #1948 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tail blade question. I ordered a couple sets of main blades for the Cypher so I added (2) sets of carbon tail blades. Well ole dopey me ordered the 68 mm blades and not the 62 mm blades.

The 68 mm blades look giant compared to the stock tail blades on the Cypher. They are just a touch bigger then the tail blades on my Diablo.

Any one running the 68mm blades n their Cyphers?

Dru.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #1949 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no, and my *KBDD 61s* hit ground as it is. maybe you can file or sand them down a bit ?

Last edited by kevinbattista; 03-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: *
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #1950 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the KBDD's on my Cypher (of couse!).

I believe they are the "Pro" version, which are 61mm long.

We had a lot of issues with the stock ones letting go on the few Cyphers that frequented the Rose Bowl.

Dru,

Is that an RCTek Diablo? That was a good flying helicopter! I had one for a far too brief time.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #1951 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah Chem, yes it is. I spent WAY to much money on it. The ARF helicopter with carrying case was $450.00 and of course I used a GY401 with an Airtronics 94761 digital servo and (3) HS-65mg's at $36.00 a piece.

I am looking for parts for it now. I did an inverted tail stand landing with it. I need a boom, feather shaft, main shaft,fly bar, tail shaft, tail fins. I just need to take them to the lhs and see what trex parts match up. But I need the green stuff first.

Well I just checked the blades, they are about 5mm longer then the tail fin. So if I powered it up, the tail would surely bounce around. The tail blades do fit the Diablo or my MX450. So they won't go to waste.

Dru.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #1952 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kevin, I got the gyro today. Thank you very much. You said you were sending a gyro, you did not say you were also sending an Ino Labs HG-201HB servo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I will be setting up another helicopter. HHHHMMMM How many is to many? I do not think I would use this in a plane now. I think it needs to be in a helicopter.

I was going to use it in a 3DX foamy plane to help with rudder when I am hovering.

http://www.foamyfactory.com/airplanes.htm

I have built this a couple of times. Goes together real fast, uses the foam boards from Dollar stores with a few pieces of carbon fiber.

I can not thank you enough Kevin. If you need anything, let me know.

Cypher guys rule!!!!!!!

Dru.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #1953 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no prob Dru

ya , i didnt feel like disconnecting the servo, i figured they've been together from the start, why break up the lovely couple

.. so i was gonna try that EXI tail on the Cypher but it's still to big , even with the Exi tail boom piece. so now i'm on the hunt for a tail boom that's 14.5 inches long and .4 inches (11.8mm) dia.. basicly an Exi tail boom that's a 1/2 in bigger.
any ideas?? i'm also thinking about ordering another after market 450 head for the Cypher.. i think it may work http://www.xheli.com/exicncmerohe.htmli have this set up on my Exi and it flys nice .
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #1954 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was looking at that for my MX450. I can not find any parts support for it at a decent price. So I was going to change it from red to blue-ish.

You might look at McMaster Carr for some aluminum tubing the size you need. Might have to make it yourself.

On another thread i was reading, I read a guy ordered a Futaba GY401 gyro for $20.00 including shipping. It is suppose to be new in box with all of the stuff straight from Futaba. Not sure I believe it, but here is a link to the site.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

Do you think it is real? Best price I have found was about $120.00 for just the gyro?

Dru.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #1955 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dont know if it's fake from the picture.. for $20 probally .. here's a thread that tells how to know the difference, it has pics also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296848&page=7
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #1956 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I find it VERY funny they sell a GY401 for $20.00 and they sell the G401b and other clones for $20.00. I find it hard to believe they can sell a REAL Futaba GY401 for that cost.

Dru.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #1957 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ORDER??

Tried to order, going around in big circle. Doc in PA
wa3itz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #1958 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Doc, are you trying to order one of the clone GY401 gyro's?

I would bet good money, and I have VERY little of it right now, on it being a clone, knock off, fake gyro.

Buzz.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #1959 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dru, do you have a way to test a motor and esc to see if they're any good ? i have the old motor and esc from my Cypher layin around ( i swapped them for Align ) not sure if it was the esc or motor that gave me problems so i switched them both out, if you have a way to check them , i'll ship em out to ya.maybe you could find a use for em?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #1960 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figure is is but for the price I would like to check it out. Sometimes the clone is as good as the original. Doc in PA
wa3itz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
airtronics, cypher, make that the esc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in