Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Choosing a ESC for the 550

Hi guys just got my Gaui 550 full carbon fibre kit!!! ,im not sure on what esc to get i will be running 2200mah and 3000mah 6s pacs ,was thinking something aroung the 100a ,and a budget of $150 .i use hobbywing in my rc cars (work well) but hearing that the heli ESC's burst into flames was also considering a CC ice 100 also hear they blow up , so not sure what other alternatives there are out there any experiance with these would be appreciated .i also have a 2s BEC i can use and some 2s 30c 1000mah batts to power the reciver and servos will that batt be sufficent to do the job ? thanks in advance !!!
evonut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Gaui 50a ESC on both of mine, Gaui use the HobbyWing 100a on the X5 (rebranded) - cheapest place for that is HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html apparently if you upgrade the firmware it has an even better softstart (prog box needed)
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned User

Most of CCs problem was with their HV ESCs. I've been using the Ice75 on my 550 w/550mm blades with no problems. The data logging feature on my CC is great.

50 amps sounds a bit low to me, what size blades are you using?

I'd recommend at least 75 amps or better. Since you are familiar with hobbywing and probably already own a programming card why not use their 80a ESC?

Regardless of what speed controller you get be sure to mount it where it will get plenty of airflow. Dont use the stock location unless you have a few vent holes in your canopy.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kavic,

Not wanting to start a flame-war, but I'm going to disagree with you - Gaui sold the 550 with their 50 amp ESC as standard, I have about 500 - 600 flights on mine (admitedly only sports not 3D).

It just annoys me when there is scope creap on these things and suddenly you find 250's with 40 amp ESCs and 450s with 50 amp ESCs, whereas Align use a 15amp and 35amp respectively.

Having said all that - as I said I'd go for the 100amp HW

Mike
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned User

I hear you MikeJ. But electronics that run cooler last longer. And I only have a 40a in my stretch 450 on 6s. Lands nice and cool.

My Ice75 was hitting 150 to 160F on 80F days in the stock location. Moving it adjacent to the main shaft and giving it better airflow gave me ESC temps of about 135 degrees on the same 80F weather.

You might be able to get away with a 50a on a stock motor with lightweight 425 to 500mm blades. But I would love to see any 50a esc push a scorpion 3026-1210 and 550mm FB blades.

As it is my setup is good for sport flying and maybe some mild 3d, thats about it. IMHO an 80a+ ESC will give you room to grow with no overheating concerns on those hot summer days.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
I hear you MikeJ. But electronics that run cooler last longer. And I only have a 40a in my stretch 450 on 6s. Lands nice and cool.

My Ice75 was hitting 150 to 160F on 80F days in the stock location. Moving it adjacent to the main shaft and giving it better airflow gave me ESC temps of about 135 degrees on the same 80F weather.

You might be able to get away with a 50a on a stock motor with lightweight 425 to 500mm blades. But I would love to see any 50a esc push a scorpion 3026-1210 and 550mm FB blades.

As it is my setup is good for sport flying and maybe some mild 3d, thats about it. IMHO an 80a+ ESC will give you room to grow with no overheating concerns on those hot summer days.
OK - here you go then - my set-up exactly

Perhaps it helps that I live in the Uk and it never gets above freezing here

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010560.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	295074   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010561.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	295075  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks guys really apperciate the quick reply and advice .i will be running 550 carbon blades!!! .i was leaning more toward the hobbywing esc the 100a platnium pro unless some one can sway my decition lol ,not sure about the built in bec so ill be running an external on on 2s 1000mah lipos , any one know if that batt will be suffient to run the reciver and servos??? buy the way really loving this forum ,how do you guys like the 550 this is my first real heli not sure what to expect just hope i havent jumped in the deep end lol thanks again
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonut View Post
buy the way really loving this forum ,how do you guys like the 550 this is my first real heli not sure what to expect just hope i havent jumped in the deep end lol thanks again
I love my 550s - had them for a while (almost 4 years) and still use them regularly, plus the guys in this particular forum area are really good guys - you don't get all of the stupidity and posturing that you get in some forums.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

+100 on all the Gaui people....!!
Now, Where is Jungle Bob ? Vas, RU There ?
PT
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned User

MikeJ what size blades are those? How hot does it get after a flight?

Its amazing you havent fried that thing yet.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
MikeJ what size blades are those? How hot does it get after a flight?

Its amazing you havent fried that thing yet.
550mm at about 2100rpm - comes down cool
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just gone out and flown a couple packs,usual stuff, loops, flips, fast circuits - came dwon with ESC, motor and battery all about 40 celsius - around 100 fahrenheit. It was only about 12 celsius so not very warm, but all seems good to me

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just ordered Esc ,and went with the HW 100a platinum pro and Programe card right choice I hope , also notice all the bad reviews were in 2009 so I'm assuming those problems are solved. unlike a Rc car the esc pops and it's no big deal just walk over pick it up in one piece even after impact lol compared to a heli more than likely a few extra pieces. Mikej it's great to see that re baged HW esc is holding up hope mine will be same . Thanks for the advice in helping decide !!'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in