Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X7

X7 Discussion and support of the Gaui X7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Issues, Solutions, Tricks.

What issues have you had with your build or during set up?

What solutions did you come up with if needed?

Any tricks for building this bad boy?
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

misdrilled canopy holes. off enough to be irritating. but the tail case awesomeness makes up for it
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I love a good looking tail.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt18 View Post
I love a good looking tail.
Who doesn't...
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I misaligned the boom support ends when I CA'd them on one of the rods. My own fault.

I tried to pull them apart but...too late, I broke the rod.

Now I'm waiting on some replacements from Mullen. I know I should have been more careful, but a slot in the rod and a tab on the end for alignment would have idiot proofed it, which I apparently need!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb714 View Post
I misaligned the boom support ends when I CA'd them on one of the rods. My own fault.

Now I'm waiting on some replacements from Mullen. I know I should have been more careful, but a slot in the rod and a tab on the end for alignment would have idiot proofed it, which I apparently need!
I don't think CA will be a strong enough bond. It would be best to rough up the carbon ends a little and use Epoxy. If you stage the tail boom clamp on the boom, epoxy the ends on the supports and then mount the boom supports,it will hold everything in place while the epoxy dries.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
I don't think CA will be a strong enough bond. It would be best to rough up the carbon ends a little and use Epoxy. If you stage the tail boom clamp on the boom, epoxy the ends on the supports and then mount the boom supports,it will hold everything in place while the epoxy dries.
30min epoxy sitting overnight would be ideal, but you can get away with using the 5minute stuff
vr360 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb714 View Post

I have undone CA'd ends from a tail pushrod by just touching a soldering gun to the metal end for a few seconds to heat it up, the ca let loose for me very quickly when I did this.

Hope this helps for next time..

Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default frame divider posts

did anyone have any issues with these lining up? i cross threaded mine so i had to get a new cf divider. i know i could have hacked something up to put a nut in there and a longer bolt but wanted to do it right. is there a trick to lining them up? its very tight fitting
xfactor6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you talking battery divider? If you are,make sure you tap the tabs all the way forward. Its a tight fit, but it will move forward another 2-3mm and then the holes line up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0270.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	292101  
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin_3z View Post
Are you talking battery divider? If you are,make sure you tap the tabs all the way forward. Its a tight fit, but it will move forward another 2-3mm and then the holes line up.

yup maybe thats why, i just forced the screws in and it stripped(since it wasnt lined up). ill tap it like you suggested. Thanks,
xfactor6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem..Another quick tip, this was hard to tell from the manual..use the special servo spacer on the top two alieron bolts. It stops the canopy from binding the links

Last edited by Rollin_3z; 02-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: It is in manual, but not very noticable
Rollin_3z is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
No problem..Another quick tip, this was omitted from manual..use the special servo spacer on the top two alieron bolts. It stops the canopy from binding the links
Nice find...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just edited my post, it is in the manual . Too quick on the build and missed it the first time.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not gotten to servos yet, so I'm right with ya. I'm waiting for all electronics to show up before I dig back in to the build and finish it up..
Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default build

My motor should be in by Thursday. Can't wait to test this out.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Just edited my post, it is in the manual . Too quick on the build and missed it the first time.
Being that I don't have one yet, not sure what that will be but is it obvious what the servo spacers are and where they need to go?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a little too much thin ca to glue the bearings on the torque tube and seized a bearing. I had to take the heat gun to it to break up the ca then clean it really well with debonder, then re-lube with some grease and a touch of triflow. It works fine now.

Also, I found that my TT gear didn't mesh very right on the main gear so I removed the smallest shim from between the top of the main gear to the bearing block. It's much tighter now, but I can still get some paper between the gears.

It took took a little while to find the right tension for the tail pitch slider link bolts. To tight and the tail binds, but you don't want that to come apart. I found that some red locktight and just snug was the sweet spot.

I didn't have any issues with pinion mesh. I put the motor as close to the main gear as I could and found that if I wiggle the main gear and can detect just the slightest amount of play which is perfect. I usually set my gears up this way. I make it as tight as I can while I can still detect some play. It doesn't need much, just enough that the gear isn't bottomed out. Everything moves freely.

Another thing I found was that the savox high volt servos don't work on anything less than 6v without jittering. I set my CC BEC pro to 7.5 and they are way happier (and fast!). I don't trust the bec pro on 12s so it's wired to use only one of the 6s packs.

With the BEC pro, savox servos, spyder 6s5300 batteries and the 7200BX spektrum/beastx, KDBB tail blades and align 690D main blades, the heli came out pretty light at 11.5lbs.

schu
akschu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

"It took took a little while to find the right tension for the tail pitch slider link bolts. To tight and the tail binds, but you don't want that to come apart. I found that some red locktight and just snug was the sweet spot."

Mine was the same..the bushings are a tad too small, so when you tighten the bolt, it binds the link (You might get a slow wag on hover if your pitch slider not smooth).

Irishmatt, on page 27 it shows the servos without spacers and on 28 it shows the servos on the frames. I''ve built a few helis already, so when I got to that part, I braided my servo lines,hid the wires and setup my head geometry without double checking manual..lol
Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Did everyone remember to remove and loctite the set screw that holds the pin in that keeps the rear torque tube output gear from moving?
vr360 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in