Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Max Pitch 12.5 degrees ?

The manual states max recommended pitch @ 12.5 degrees. Just curious if anyone runs above those, if so any issues?

-cbest
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had some bogging issues with the stock motor and the Castle 120 Edge HV esc running +/- 13 deg.

But I'm shamlessly sloppy on the collective, so I dropped the pitch down to 11.5 and it was able to handle my abuse better.

I think the idea is to pair higher pitch with lower head speed, or lower pitch with higher headspeed.

Whatever is needed to balance the performance you want with the gearing that you have on your powersystem.

I wanted my ESC to run at a particular throttle percentage and have enough headroom for the governor to compensate loading and unloading the head. So with the pinion I put on there, I was able to get the headspeed that I wanted (as well as the flight times that I want). If the heli was bogging, all that's necessary is to drop the max pitch a bit until the bogging is reduced.

That's my experience anyway. Don't think you'll have any issues if you pay attention to the model and make changes if needed.

edit: check for binding as you travel through the extremes of control (max cyclic and max collective). Too high a pitch can cause binding in the linkage, especially if it temporarily overshoots this with "pitch pump" parameters in the FBL. This can be reduced by modifying the "cyclic ring" parameter in your FBL if it has it which is supposed to limit the max throws allowed to prevent binding.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I generally run 13.5° to 14.5° pitch on my machines. Depending on your angles and horn used you can see some binding in some spots, but a cyclic ring helps square it back up. I usually offset mine a little on the negative side to get the extra throw at the top, as long as it doesn't sacrifice my negative throws.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys. First time I flew it (this past weekend), I had it set at 13.5 degrees. It flew great. It was the maiden outing & I was not banging on it too much or anything. But it wasn't until afterwards I noticed the 12.5 recommendation in the manual. Being that the 6hvu is fairly low profile, I guess I was worried about boom strike issues more than anything. But sounds like if a go a little over 12.5, I should be fine. Just wanted to make sure.

cbest
Old 11-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nah, unless you run your blades really loose like on a micro you should be fine with boom strikes. No worse than most other helis anyway. I've had two boom strikes from minor mishaps and besides a couple dents it's still going like nothing ever happened!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I was running 14.5 as low as 2200 and as high as 2600. It can take it for sure
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in