Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pinion gear on motor

Hey guys,
So a while back I was flying my Trex 250 when I lost it coming in for a landing. I noticed that the motor was still going and as a matter of fact it was high pitched but the blades weren't moving. Come to find out the pinion gear had broken loose from the motor spindle. I had used Gorilla glue (epoxy) the last time I glued it and was surprised that it had let go. I had let it cure for a few days in a room of the house that tends to run a little warm.

How long should this epoxy last? I was a little surprised that it lasted only about a dozen flights before breaking loose. Any suggestions as to how to get this to last a little longer or maybe a different epoxy?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which type of pinion do you have? Does it have a grub screw?

With pinions that has no grub screw I use green threadlock on the motor shaft, let it cure for a couple of days(curing time depends on the quality of your threadlocker).

If you have a pinion with a grub screw, you'd have to make an indent on the motor shaft. I use red threadlock on the grub screw and the motor shaft
gimbleguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Epoxy is the wrong stuff for a pinion, it will always break loose. You should be using a retaining compound, green loctite 609 I believe.

It's very liquid stuff, and takes around 24hrs to set, but once on you will need heat to remove it. My pinion hasn't been touched in over 300 flights now, with nothing but retaining compound holding it in place.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a 2.5m shaft and years ago scorpion had a three pack with a 14t, 15t, 16t. The DFC uses a 15t in the kit. Hobbyking has one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Gear_15T.html

In the three pack I had, I used the 16t for slightly higher head speed. Maybe you can still find that product.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's not the kind with a grub screw unfortunately. I don't know why I was thinking I had to used epoxy. Thanks for the heads up on the loctite.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in