Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Boy that was a fast $100

So I finally got my 700E built, AR7200BX set up, everything checked, double checked, and ready to fly. So I take it out to the baseball field behind my house with intention to hover it. Well, I got it light on one skid, and it started tipping one way, I over corrected, it tipped the other way, I over corrected again and BLAMO there goes my rotor blades. Total damage was just a set of rotors and the linkages that run from the swash to the blade grips, but I'm right at $120 for replacement parts. After coming from Blade 450s, these big kid toys get expensive quick!
Napoleon_Tanerite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea the big birds add up quick in terms of price $$$ when you have a mishap. That’s why you buy/stock up when there is a 10% off sale or any other promotion for that matter. I always keep one or two sets of blades lying around, one or two extra motors. Last set blades I got her on HF Maverick 710 FBL blades for $70 new in box that was a good deal so check the classifieds once in a while. Once you learn your new bird you’ll find it’s more forgiving, easier to fly on windy days, easer to see and a BLAST to fly. The 700E climbs like a rocket ship at full power or 2250 RPM head speed I cranked mine up to 2300 but it was just to much for me.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm slowly trying to build up a crash kit for the 700 based on my experience with the 450s. So far I have extra blades, linkages, and feathering shafts on the way. Going to get spare main shafts and main gears on the next round. What else should I get?
Napoleon_Tanerite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bearings are always damaged in crashes.

Booms etc
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
Bearings are always damaged in crashes.

Booms etc
Which bearings? The ones in the tail boom, or the ones along the main shaft?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mostly main shaft bearings main blade grip bearings radial and thrust the one way hub has 3 bearings one on top n bottom and the ow it self the one way usually is ok but the other 2 motor pinion support bearing then depending on how quick you hit th motor bearings
Nicasiobantolino is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's why I'm glad I've got you guys! I've never seen or heard of a bearing being damaged in a crash on a B450, there simply isn't enough mass to hurt them.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm worried that you don't have the skill to hover a 700, yet you are going to fly one. People are at serious risk of injury and death with these things... If you insist however, try upping the expo before next hover and find a less public location. Fbl should hover just about hands off
kimmik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also check your swash compensation is not wrong. Shouldn't need correction to get it off ground
kimmik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1.

Your fbl comp sounds like it could well be backwards.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
, I got it light on one skid, and it started tipping one way, I over corrected, it tipped the other way, I over corrected again
Wrong! You don't make any corrections with FBL heli on lift off.. Just spool up and give it a fair amount of collective and don't touch the cyclic until the heli is completely airborne, or you'll end up spending an other 100$.
TuukkaJK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, there is that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Freak View Post
+1.

Your fbl comp sounds like it could well be backwards.
Agreed. You can test it on the bench. Power everything up (with one motor wire or blades removed for safety) and tip the heli fore and aft, and side to side. The swash should move opposite to the direction the heli is tipped. If this is not the case, DO NOT FLY IT. The result would certainly be a crash.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmik View Post
Also check your swash compensation is not wrong. Shouldn't need correction to get it off ground
Agreed. The heli shouldn't just tip over if you can hover a 450.

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Give it some quick collective to get it off the ground a foot or 2.

I find gradually raising collective making it almost float on its skids can cause more problems than its worth. Its one lesson you quickly learn to get out of after a few mishaps.

Next time if you are unfamiliar with its collective (ie not knowing what stick position causes it to lift), simply lower the collective if it tilts the slightest bit and try again. If it keeps doing it then look at your setup further.

My 700E first ever hover (first time ever owning a 700), was extremely intimidating (those blades are huge), but I found my previous experience with the 450 helped a lot. It floated perfectly in a flawless hover. I wasn't even into this hobby all that long either.

spikestabber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabit View Post
Well, there is that too.

Agreed. You can test it on the bench. Power everything up (with one motor wire or blades removed for safety) and tip the heli fore and aft, and side to side. The swash should move opposite to the direction the heli is tipped. If this is not the case, DO NOT FLY IT. The result would certainly be a crash.
You need to remove 2 motor wires. Just removing one yes the motor does not turn. But the ESC is powering the other winding. If you were to spin motor it will usually start as well as you are powering winding with no motor cooling or back emf. That can blow ESC or motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, the FBL comp is not incorrect, nor was it ever incorrect. I made specifically sure of that. This was purely a case of pilot error. I was timid in getting it off the ground, and should have just got it up and away from the ground.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
You need to remove 2 motor wires. Just removing one yes the motor does not turn. But the ESC is powering the other winding. If you were to spin motor it will usually start as well as you are powering winding with no motor cooling or back emf. That can blow ESC or motor
I did not know that. Thanks for the correction.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dang going from a 450 to a 700 is like going from a smart car to a short bus!

Slow & Steady!
nmdesertracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't use the word bus to describe the way my 700 flies. It's a freaking beast!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I maiden flew my 550e w/AR7200BX today (coming from a b450 as well) and was surprised how it just kinda jumps up into the air after giving it some collective input. It felt more a like a big mcpx than my b450 in how it takes off & hovers. I've read similar things about big FBL on this forum before so kind of expected it.

/sorry bout your blades
dominoedge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in