Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SL mode any good ?

I have only had chance to hover the heli ( in the garden) and set up all the parameters and switching but all feels good in comparison to my old vbar which is a relief.
I have flicked the SL switch and flown it up and down and although a little strange I reckon might be fun and beneficial once I get it to the field .

How would the self level mode work with a few simple tricks like aileron rolls ( I suck and tend to input elevator ) and tick tocks? I can hover inverted in one orientation all day so I am hoping this SL mode will also allow me to move beyond this orientation boundary
Strangely enough I can fly a really nice controlled pie dish tail down although I am guessing SL would not actually favour this move .

Really looking forward to getting to the field this weekend and having a go with this new unit and getting to grips with my switch positioning for the 3 modes.
mak24seven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have found that the self-levelling can be useful in inverted orientation training, but probably with a number of different percentage settings available at your flying level, to be able to reduce its effect. You may find it a little annoying at first. It has helped one of my elderly friends gain significant confidence though.
Andy
AndrewJHawes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

using SL vs Rescue is a matter of personal preference and also mindset. We can tell you all day about the relative merits but until you have a chance to use the modes yourself you won't really "get it". First, if you plan on using SL during flying and you also plan to invert, make sure your Horizon page has ACRO selected and not upright self level. If you select USL, you can not invert. Well you can try but it won't stay there and I promise the experience will freak you out. USL affects both Rescue on SL.

Again, it is personal preference but if you are even a basic 3D pilot ( you can easily do flips and rolls) you will probably like things better with SL off. SL comes into action when your cyclic is centered. A number of guys here have posted that they feel SL tends to fight you when flying around.

The mindset about Rescue is that you don't have to be about to crash to use it. Use it a lot even if just briefly. Do an invert and go a little ot far? No problem, just tap Rescue for an instant.

So most guys find its better to fly around in Rigid and just use Rescue as needed.

Now if you are a very beginner pilot, SL would be great in the beginning. It makes you CP like a big Coax that actually flies outdoors. Some even call it Coax mode.

SL is also great in emergencies. If you have a full RX you can have Failsafe actuate SL. I have had some mid-air failures and if I have the presence of mind to turn on SL, if will minimize the crash damage and cost.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello.
@mak24seven
i normal fly without SL. but have it on my TX and also CR.
i have SL on 2 different % which i think work very well for me when i use it.
when i try inverted hover i start at 40% till i get use to orientation normal first couple of secons (30), then when im comfortable i change to 15% witch give me the confidence not to screw it then off.
also when im trying new things special inverted i normal turn it on at 15%.

but try you numbers what fits you best, i remember when i first started special with my goblins $$$ i use to have the SL at 60% for inverted, and 30-35% for flying around.

now when im upright no SL when inverted really SL, but i know that i have a mix on a assign button the CR (DX9), which have save me a lot of $$$$$ in my G700c where i try more crazy stuff (for me) is the heli i trust the most, a bad crash can go from $400-800, blades/arms/grips/servo strip etc...
so the unit have paid for itself a lot.
Grittner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in