Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default lean when drifting down or moving backwards

I'm using a microbeastx on my trex 450 and it's OK overall, but if I let the heli drift downwards it'll start leaning to the right. (this doesn't happen if i do harder collective inputs, just when I let it slowly drift down) and when moving backwards. Stumped. I've messed a bit with cyclic gain with no luck so far, just getting shakes from that.

Any help would be appreciated. I can post a video of what's happen if that would help.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have the same problem with a 300cfx i own. if anyone knows anything that would be great. just been "dealing" with it.
joupscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

the system measures movement by using the gyros. If you don't touch the sticks for aileron, elevator or also the rudder this commands the system to not turn the heli. So if the system doesn't measure any movement, it'll not move the servos. If it measures any movement it'll counteract this by commanding the servos until the movement stopps.

So main reasons can be if the heli turns even when you not touch the stick is that either your transmitter is sending a stick command, i.e. because the stick pots do not center properly, or the system measures a movement though there is none due to gyro drift. Or third option maybe that the system is not able to detect the movement as it is so minimal that gyros can't measure it or even the heli doesn't roll/tilt at all and it is just a sideways movement due to wind or aerodynamics.

Against the third option you can't do anything. If it's a problem with the transmitter you may try to increase the stick deadzone at Microbeast's Parameter Menu Point E. When it's a problem with vibrations (which can cause gyro drift) this can typically be seen when the heli tilts the more or less depending on the rotor head speed/motor speed. If this is the case you may use a different gyro pad or move the device to another mounting area on the helicopter ... or of course find out why the heli is causing such ugly vibrations.

I'm sorry for this very general explanation but basically it always has to do something with one of these causes when there is some unwanted rotation happening. I don't see why the heli only will drift when the heli is moving down and backwards as the thread starter described. But maybe, for example, he is flying the heli with V-Shaped throttle curve and motor speed is increasing as the rotor is unloaded which causes a little vibration and some small gyro drift in consequence!? But also maybe simply the heli is moving sideways to the right as the heli is getting in it's own downwash for a short moment!?
freakware.com
Frenchdress is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestructured View Post
I'm using a microbeastx on my trex 450 and it's OK overall, but if I let the heli drift downwards it'll start leaning to the right. (this doesn't happen if i do harder collective inputs, just when I let it slowly drift down) and when moving backwards. Stumped. I've messed a bit with cyclic gain with no luck so far, just getting shakes from that.

Any help would be appreciated. I can post a video of what's happen if that would help.
Just to check - are you using the trims on your radio?
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you say 'leans to the right'.. do you mean that simply the heli leans, or that it also drifts to the right?

Leaning to the right in a hover is perfectly normal and any single rotor heli (with clockwise main rotor direction) must lean to the right in order to avoid drifting. All helis do it all the time but possibly you are only noticing it in certain circumstances. The lean is necessary to counteract the sideways 'push' from the tail rotor.

This 'leaning' has the technical name 'translating tendency' (google it)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the effect is large enough, then a video would help for sure. As you can see, those who have answered already are having to make some assumptions about what you've tried to describe.

Show us the fast punches too, so we can see it not 'drifting', as you described.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I understand correctly, this is with no stick inputs? This sounds like cyclic command has decayed and gone to its 'neutral' point then you have said drift. Have you rechecked your mechanical setup, perhaps you have a swash that's cockeyed?

Steve
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
When you say 'leans to the right'.. do you mean that simply the heli leans, or that it also drifts to the right?
This 'leaning' has the technical name 'translating tendency' (google it)
hello grumpy-old-man, wouldn't the translating tendency in a right sided tail rotor helicopter cause a drift to the left? if i'm not mistaken real helis have the tail rotor on the left side and that's why their translating tendency happens to the right. in our case, a TD would cause the heli to drift to the left, i think.

i'm experiencing an inconvenient tilt to the right (not a drift) during collective pitch-pumps too. tail also won't hold properly, as if insufficient tail gain or improper tail compensation was there. it's been hard to get rid of these issues and definitely it compromises the quality of the flight. i've even modified the heli so now i have a higher tail rate, but no success so far.
hilarious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in