Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

SAR,

"I wonder if new Spektrum/combo the same Spektrum receivers are usually pretty snug...."

It is not much of any different, maybe a bit tighter (still taping them in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yours were snug? Mine were loose physically, but fine electrically.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Yours were snug? Mine were loose physically, but fine electrically. "

Yes, but only a little bit, on the one I just installed.

I noticed the fit of the plug varied with the manufacturer of the plug. I have one Futaba, with the extra projection trimmed off, that was the tightest, three Align (Savox) servo plugs (probably the least tight), one from the HobbyWing ESC and and two from the WR BEC (in between, as I recall).
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I use hot glue typically, but just sitting here wondering if there is some sort of mechanical method such as a rubber band or even some giant shrink tube.

of course you can't beat the East Tibetan Mountain Yak pooh/urine combo... hard to get, but once it sets that stuff wont come loose!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've had 3 crashes now from plugs popping out in flight. Only one of them ended in minimal damage, the other two were doozies. I forgot to put some on my 5203 and that roasted my motor (connector popped out at full throttle on a full tank in my Knight, couldn't stop it or shut it off).

Needless to say, I'm a bit paranoid without flying with some kind of extra securing measures on my wires. I start by having them with as little stress on the wires as possible and having the connectors going down into the device as opposed to coming up from the bottom (wherever possible). I also try to keep wires bunched up together because as a group, they tend not to move much.

I've used tape with a lot of good success and I've also used some clear silicone sealant, but that tends to leave a lot of chunks on the connectors when you go to get them off. Granted, the wires will pretty much never pop out of the slot, but it gets to be a hassle if you find that you're moving the electronics a lot. Hot glue works really well too, but I don't like messing with the gun (warm-up times, the mess, one more piece of equipment to maintain or worry about. Tube of glue or roll of tape is a lot more convenient). Each has their upsides and downsides, but tape seems to be the easiest. i'm just not as confident with it as the adhesives.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Yours were snug? Mine were loose physically, but fine electrically.

Scott
Ya the AR7600 tight as hell… MB not so much…

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, yeah... Spektrum receivers? Very tight.. the AR7200BX, not so much. There are no guides in the AR7200BX like there are in standard Spektrum receivers, so I think that translates to what I experienced.

Richard, you're right. It does vary from connector to connector. Electrically, they make good connections but physically, they vary. The connectors used on the standard microbeast are all tight, though (I checked). Interesting stuff..at least to me, anyway.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

3M 4010 is clear, 4011 is gray. They are said to be identical but I have both and think the sponginess is a bit greater with the clear (could be psychological/confirmation bias). The number is not on the front of the package, it's on the back above the barcode "CAT 4010"

Are wires coming out more of an issue on larger helicopters? I've never had an issue with the small ones. I had not planned on using anything on my 6HV but now you guys have got me paranoid.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
3M 4010 is clear, 4011 is gray. They are said to be identical but I have both and think the sponginess is a bit greater with the clear (could be psychological/confirmation bias). The number is not on the front of the package, it's on the back above the barcode "CAT 4010"

Are wires coming out more of an issue on larger helicopters? I've never had an issue with the small ones. I had not planned on using anything on my 6HV but now you guys have got me paranoid.
Well mine is definitely gray 1 x 60 outdoor mounting tape....
Not seeing anywheres on the back designator etc.... oh well.... LOTS of Spanish though....

Ya I never worried about it with my 450 either still learning a whole bunch about these larger helicopters. Compass boards great place to learn lots of pros here know what they are talking about......
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glue gun, tape… tape, glue gun…
Soon as I finish makin this manicotti must decide…

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329591987550.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	290884  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pictures of my gooped Bx and Recv. Not as neat as most of your guys, but still works well (I crash test mine more than yours ).

You can see that I had a plug in the throttle channel on the receiver, but simply peeled it back and removed it without impacting the others.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't get to see this too much round here…

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329738434071.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	291477  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally decided I must get off this "There may be other unexplainined elecronic failures" fence… I have not flown my beloved 6HV IN 4 months since it decided to crash itself…
I have gone through everything 25 times at least 25 full power bench runs everything looks perfect… Still not sure what caused it to go out of control but leaning mostly at this point to my ineptitude not properly securing the wiring…
Messing with it this am last time redid MB tape with 4011 much firmer and after looking at all the wire securing choices decided to go the popular European hot glue route. This seems the best and most secure. One more full power run for 10 min gonna put blades on hope to remaiden in am.
Sorry for s pics had to use phone every rechargeable AA is dead thx to video gaming curtain climbers…

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329751226860.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	291497   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1329751249029.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	291502  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK managed to repossess some AA's so got my Nikon back online.... better pics.....
I am unsure what method is best as I have only tried the hot glue but one thing is certain now after 24 hours curing they ain't coming out once hotglued lest you hack em out with the XActo.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	291920   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	291921   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	291922  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now I wanna hotglue everything especially this Spektrum sattelite cable coming off 7600.... The only glitch I am getting is sattelite consistently goes off line seems to be pigtail at rx. Anyone else with probs/fixes for this ? Thx

Anyone maybe try packing housing w/ dielectric compound maybe? Really small connectors, would hotglue as well but unsure this is the fix....
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpilot View Post
Now I wanna hotglue everything especially this Spektrum sattelite cable coming off 7600.... The only glitch I am getting is sattelite consistently goes off line seems to be pigtail at rx. Anyone else with probs/fixes for this ? Thx

Anyone maybe try packing housing w/ dielectric compound maybe? Really small connectors, would hotglue as well but unsure this is the fix....
I took all my satellites and used goop around the sites near the connector, then slid a piece of heat shrink over it so when it shrinks it covers part of the plastic connector. use a sharp blade to cut enough heat shrink away to plug it in. Instant/permanent strain relief.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmit View Post
I took all my satellites and used goop around the sites near the connector, then slid a piece of heat shrink over it so when it shrinks it covers part of the plastic connector. use a sharp blade to cut enough heat shrink away to plug it in. Instant/permanent strain relief.
Great idea on the Sats. I've taken similar measures in improvising a strain relief after having a couple cables fail or near fail with only one of the wires being held in by one tiny copper strand. IMO these cables need to come with a strain relief, c'mon Spektrum!

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
Great idea on the Sats. I've taken similar measures in improvising a strain relief after having a couple cables fail or near fail with only one of the wires being held in by one tiny copper strand. IMO these cables need to come with a strain relief, c'mon Spektrum!
If you have ever seen a Spektrum backplate sensor that has a bracket made from the same plastic them make the RX cases out of you would immediately know that Spektrum has no intent on providing durability. ;-)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes good points all but I do not have any wire strain problems. Coming out of AR7600 I am thinking you mean heatshrink behind satellite into pigtail? My thinking is problem is at connection w pins at rx.....

Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK I bought a tube of this goop stuff..... it says Amazing Goop on package and plumbing on tube, guess this is the right stuff.
Gonna try Alan and others ideas goop these Spektrum satellite wires try one more bench test.... I just wanna know it is not neglect on my part if it goes zooming off into the trees again.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in