Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default are gassers much dirtier than nitro helicopters??

When I think of nitro helicopters, I think of clean engines and parts but when I think of gassers, which I think use gasoline, i think of dirty noisy smelly parts and stuff. Is it true?
Sneaglebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a nitro bird and it is anything but clean.I would think a gasser would be much cleaner.Nitro birds spray a lot of oil out the pipe,whereas a two-stroke gasser has a much lower ratio of oil in the mix..Just speculation on my part because I do not have a gasser .....Yet
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gassers are very clean. There is virtually no residue on anything. The downside is they reek of gasoline fumes. I had my friend's Radikal at my house and I had to stuff rags in the muffler and carb to cut the fumes. If you aren't keeping it in the house it doesn't matter but my hobby area is bedroom adjacent and the wife don't want to be smelling no fumes. Nitro, there is no smell because the oil is the only residue. I usually wipe my heli down at the end of the day at the field so it isn't a big deal for me. Guess I am used to it.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaglebob View Post
are gassers much dirtier than nitro helicopters
Only in the dirty looks you get from your fellow members who have to listen to the thing fly
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
Only in the dirty looks you get from your fellow members who have to listen to the thing fly
Agreed.

They emit a high pitched buzzing that is near ear numbing.
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea I think gassers are cleaner than nitro, but they are kind of loud!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gassers are nearly as clean as electrics if properly tuned.
If it's running (way) too rich, or too much oil mixed in gas, there will be some carbon deposits that can stick to the heli, but it's nothing compared with nitro goo...

But as been said above : They do smell... I like the smell though... Reminds me of having fun.

The only time I need to wipe down my gasser is when it's dusty.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yea I think gassers are cleaner than nitro, but they are kind of loud!
If you use a decent muffler their sound is about the same as a glow powered model

If you use a gasoline alternative like Lantern fuel or one of the new designer blends, they have a more pleasant smell and are still less expensive to run than glow fuel

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey shurley View Post
If you use a decent muffler their sound is about the same as a glow powered model

If you use a gasoline alternative like Lantern fuel or one of the new designer blends, they have a more pleasant smell and are still less expensive to run than glow fuel
+1

There seem to be many misconceptions about gassers that probably originate from earlier times. A modern gasser, using a modern gasser designed muffler (instead of the black box that comes with the engines) and burning Coleman or similar fuel naptha type of fuels, mixed with modern synthetic oils, such as Amsoil 100:1 (mixed at 65:1) will run very clean (much like an electric) and fly very well.

My wife has a very sensitive nose that can pick up the smell of gasoline very quickly. I switched to camper fuels and Amsoil back in 2005 and she doesn't even know that I now store my gasser helis in my workshop downstairs instead of the garage!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

did nitro and gas planks, even with petroleum based 2-cycle oil they are much cleaner than nitro. Alcohol engines gobble much more fuel than gas engines, also the oil ratio is leaner with gas. As stated above you can substitute naptha (zippo lighter fuel) and get zero residue if you use synthetic 2-cycle lube
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No they are louder for sure! The only glow I have heard that comes close is that 120 with the big pipe!

I guess the sound is just different,, maybe not louder! One thing though it is longer so maybe that were the perception that it's louder comes from! 15 minute flights!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in