Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location
Thumbs down My first attempt at inverted hovering (Crash Report)

I have been working on inverted hovering in the simulator for several months. Tonight I attempted it for the first time with the real heli. I crashed.

I decided to make my attempt over a field of tall hay so that it might pad the helicopter if I was not able to control it. It turns out to have been a wise move.

The attached images tell the story:

1) The helicopter, in good working condition before the flight.
2) Taking off and cruising before the attempt
3) I flipped it inverted and brought it in closer.
4) It was snappy, I tried to escape. This is the heli going in.
5) The NTSB crash investigator gathering evidence at the scene.
6) The aftermath.

Total parts: Main blades, feathering shaft, tail fin mount, flybar, and a missing 1191 paddle. I was not able to find it in the hay.

I am most comfortable in nose-in inverted, but it seemed as though I was having a hard time controlling collective. I was running it up and down like a yo-yo. It may have been nerves causing me to over-react.

It got a little too close to the ground and pulled pitch to gain altitude, It seemed to climb too quickly, so I decided to bail to upright. When I pulled back, I did it too soon and did not have enough altitude. Darn.

Overall, it only took an hour to repair, so I am expecting to attempt again later in the week, probably Thursday. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I have already ordered an replacement frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 001.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	51558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 002.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	51559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 003.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	51560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 004.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	51561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 005.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	51562  

Name:	Pic 006.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	51563  
Jon Bennett (AMA #836296)
T-Rex 450S CF: HKII 2221-8, BL35G, GY520, HS65MGs, R617FS, Futaba 7CH (2.4)
Align Metal Head/Tail, Align 325 woodies, 1191s K&Bs, S9257
Planks: US Aircore Trainer 40, Acromaster, Tiger 2 Kit, RealFlight G5
jondbennett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm.. same with me.. practiced really hard on the sim.. with high confident that I would not do dumb thumb.. but when tried for the first time.. crash...
zeese5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Suxs man. I too am learning inverted. I first started out high with plenty of room to bail. When I am high I programed myself to pull back on the stick (half-a-backflip). That way I would be tail in and easily recover. As I progressed and started to bring her lower and lower to the ground I taught myself to give full "negative" in the event I have to bail. No matter what happens I always given full negative to climb out. So far it has worked..knock on carbon/wood. Keep trying! You'll get there.

Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, I'm learning too. I can hold them for about 10 seconds, but then I either chicken out or the tail starts to move so I bail out.

On my Rex 450, I do this VERY high up so I have plenty of room to recover. But on my Raptor 50, I can do it much lower since it sort of "floats" over when I need to bail out vice loose 20ft. of altitude like my rex.

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont worry man, you will succeed. The main problem at the beginning (at least it was for me) is the stress. I started doing basic 3d myself just a few weeks ago. The first few times my knees were shaking big time, but now after 12-15 packs doing basic 3d stuff(loops, flips, inverted and more recently rolls) I am beginning to be more and more confident and the stress is slowly going away and everything is much more easy.

For me, flying in a larger area helped a lot. When there is nothing many feet around (I mean at least 50-75 feet in any direction), it helps, you have room to recover in any direction. Also, I started with loops, which are way easier than inverted hovering in my opinion.

Keep up practicing and remember to fly high for your first attempts.

Mat
magimat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup high up is the best way.

It is all confidence if you can do it in the sim you can do it. It is convincing yourself that is true that is the hard part.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea My first inverted attempt ended up bad as well about a month or so ago. Had it inverted went to bail out but pulled full positive collective and slammed it into the ground inverted @_@ . Didn't break to much actually just the main gear and main bearing blocks needed to be replaced .

Now I'm on to inverted circuits and the best advice I found is to keep it high up so you have lots of time to recover, also takes away from the nervousness of crashing once you realize that you have so much room for error.
jujiro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm can old it inverted indefinitely, but my nerves keep me from doing it often for some stupid reason. I can even fly it around the pattern inverted once, but I hardly ever even try it. I have some sort of huge mental barrier with this inverted stuff.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Smile i just started inverting my rex 450

started out with some flips and foward rolls then decided to stay inveterted, held for about 15 secs very high up lol then i got cocky and tryed doing inverted peroits wich didnt work out to well im rebuilt now and going back to flips the hard part for me is to stay inverted it just moves so fast and seems hard to control most likely since my knees are shaking. so later this week ill try it again hopefully it will stay in one piece lol
edoyle11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Everyone is nervous at first I used to be so nervous it consumed me to crash. Now I only think about it when I come close to crashing. If I don't fly for a couple of days my first flight I am always shakey.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
......my first flight I am always shakey.

OoOh but those shakes are the bestestest!! Love that feeling... unless it's accompanied by my heli trying to burrow into the ground.

Have a gyro/tail/wag problem? Check here https://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=66036
alienteabagger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Smile Thanks everyone

It is good to know that I am not the only one that went in confident and left with my tail between my legs.

I expect to try again on Thursday. I'll post a follow up.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Thumbs up Follow up: Success!

Ok, I did try again on Thursday, 6/19/2008, and dropped it in the hay again.

I really cannot explain what happened with that one. I have begun to suspect that I was in idle 1, which I currently have configured for -5 to +10 degrees, and simply did not have enough negative to prevent the descent. This fits with the experience, because I thought I had it, but it kept descending until the blades touched the top of the hay. At that point it lost head speed, I flipped hold, and the heli wrapped itself up in the tall hay.

The wonderful thing about the T-Rex is that it landed inverted, in the hay, and absolutely nothing broke. Nothing even bent. I simply took it in the house, checked it out, and found nothing wrong. I love this heli.

On Friday, I stormed out to the field, took a moment to calm my nerves, and got ready to try yet again. This time, I rehearsed the stick movements and the helicopter behavior in my mind before starting the attempt. It went exactly as planned:

I verified that I was in idle-2 (+/- 10 degrees), then I gained some altitude and flipped it back from upright nose-out to inverted nose-in. As it went vertical I went to neutral collective but maintained full back cyclic. As it came into horizontal I brought down the collective and caught it inverted. Once it stabilized, I brought it in a little closer and lower. I held it inverted for a bit more than a minute (my Tx beeps every minute, and I waited for two beeps).

After the inverted hover, I flew a victory lap. At this point I thought I should land and count myself lucky, but I decided that if I was going to develop the inverted hover I would have to loose the fear. So I entered inverted again, held it for two beeps, and exited again. Then I did it again, but I did not hold it as long.

Today I went into and out of inverted four times. I think I have inverted nose-in down pat. My wife came out with me to take some photos. I attached one.

Now to start on the other orientations. I can do them all in the simulator so this next step should not be as difficult.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pic 147.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	52471  

Tags
crash, inverted, t-rex 450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in