Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting Blade Facials...

Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a blade hit them in the face or body? please describe the feeling/force produced and the size\type of heli and range. I have been trying to figure out the force of impact on the human body coming from a 450 size heli running at around 3k rpm.
DarkHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The force is enough to kill you if hit in a vital area.
There is some pictures floating around the internet of two pilots that were hit in the head area by a heli. Not a pretty sight, one of them lost an eye and the scars left by the wounds will never go away.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeli View Post
Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a blade hit them in the face or body? please describe the feeling/force produced and the size\type of heli and range. I have been trying to figure out the force of impact on the human body coming from a 450 size heli running at around 3k rpm.
I have a video of a guys calf cut down to the bone from a TREX 450. NO!! I refuse to post it, to many people get offended by it. Take my word for it, they can hurt.
Scott
MasterCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCrash View Post
I have a video of a guys calf cut down to the bone from a TREX 450. NO!! I refuse to post it, to many people get offended by it. Take my word for it, they can hurt.
Scott
It has already been posted and in the safety section. Bottom line is dont get hit by blades and double check throttle and throttle hold.
Oldboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've been hit, hurts like HELL. Warning: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.... this was performed by trained professionals. Three slashes on my bicep, bruised the whole upper arm. Cut my finger to the bone, chipped the bone and cut the nerves. Can't feel a thing on the op of that finger. I do not recommend it. Oh, that was with a 450 spooled up no soft start, full throttle.

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to see the video of the guy that got hit in the leg go to youtube.com and search around for a couple minutes "hit by heli" "heli hit leg" or something like that. You will find it. I am not afraid of people getting offended by looking at a video so I would post it if I had it, maybe add a warning that it is indeed graphic.

You can find it on youtube but I don't think it was a 450 that did the damage to him. As has been stated, there was a korean I believe that lost an eye to a trex, and on runryder, a guy that posts over there had the same thing happen basically.

Those blades will F*** you up at 3k rpm...
redvtr1000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool

yea I have seen that video, but something is telling me that it is from a bigger heli... Anyway, I have been pondering the thought of getting face slammed by a blade and Im really not liking that concept =) I already have a thought or two in figuring out how to keep the blades from coming off the heli. also, anyone know If I should lock-tite the blade screws/nuts because there is a nylon insert inside the nut.
DarkHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sorry I thought this thread was about something else...
WesleySnipes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is a link to that thread if anyone wants to see it.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=26805
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive been hit on the face by my 600n on a hot start. Had a bruise for a month
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My little ufly FP had several OOB issues. On like the third or fourth attempt to figure out what was going on I had a fairly stable low level hover and was just trying to watch and see what failed and when. The pitch servo just quit responding and it started a slow backwards drift. My stupid without thinking reaction was to step aside and reach out with my right hand and grab it. I honestly have no idea why - I just did. Maybe because it was moving so slow?
Index finger took the worst of it but all four fingers hurt like @%&!- no blood but I couldn't pinch the stick on the radio for 2 weeks. Holding a glass of water or cup of tea took much longer.
I was lucky and "got stupid" with an fp and still have 10 fingers. Now every time I hear my 450 get up to speed I have flashbacks and take one or two steps backwards.
karlik is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just go my first boo boo, a knee nick from the mcpx. Living room flying with shorts on, I just bumped up the dr/expo to some tighter settings and lost control. A blade hit the knee cap @ full head speed and barely broke the skin for about a half inch nick. I expected more but even with the high speeds there is so little mass it just didn't do much. I've certainly seen more blood from shaving.
Heli Wheels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i got hit in the back my leg when i first started on the e-razor 450 jumped out of the way and dropped my dx6i in turn turning the power of the radio off and the heli proceeded to shred the blades on the concrete until i was able to get the controller back on and re-bound....pretty lucky there....the feeling was that of getting whipped in the leg...not too bad, could have been alot worse. thats when i bought the mcpx and parked the 450
Yamahajrp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default blade strike

Had a full throttle spool up in my house right when my son walked in the room,all I could think was to kick the heli down.thank goodness the blades broke when they hit my shin bone felt like someone hit me with a pipe. I still get the willies thinking about it six stitches and all better
rebel19761976 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default blade strike

Had a full throttle spool up in my house right when my son walked in the room,all I could think was to kick the heli down.thank goodness the blades broke when they hit my shin bone felt like someone hit me with a pipe. I still get the willies thinking about it six stitches and all better
rebel19761976 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had a pair of Align 450 woodies smack me in the shin once, nasty bruise.
They basically shatter on impact instead of all the power going into your flesh.

They're fantastic for anyone in the beginner stage.

spikestabber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a 250 spool up on the bench. I pulled 2 power wires but they managed to find a loose connection back to the sockets. while checking pitch My mad ninja skills ( aka damn fool luck. ) kicked in with the blade striking the face of my Stainless steel watch breaking the band and deflecting the heli into the floor when it fired the battery pack into the kitchen wall.

I had a bruse on the back of my hand where the blade just made contact a broken watch, a busted chopper, wounded pride but no physical lasting injury. Now I make sure that I ziptie the motor cables away from the ESC.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let's see...
450 class main blade is 325mm long (12.8 inch)
Rpm is 3000

so my match and physics says (tho I may be totally wrong as those fields aren't my strong sides):
@ 3k rpm the tip of a blade travels at 102.5 m/s (367 km/h; 228mph)

Blade weights 22g (0.022kg)
Impact time: 4ms (0.004s)
Impact speed: 102,5m/s

Force: ~564 N (1N is a force that can propel 1kg/2.2 pound to a speed of 1m/s). Equal to ~57kg (~125 pounds) punch. If my calculations are correct tho

In short: pains as hell. If you ever get hit by a blade you will probably be in need of a few stitches. Btw - blade is a very accurate name as it behaves like one. It cuts.
Sabaot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaot View Post
Let's see...
450 class main blade is 325mm long (12.8 inch)
Rpm is 3000

so my match and physics says (tho I may be totally wrong as those fields aren't my strong sides):
@ 3k rpm the tip of a blade travels at 102.5 m/s (367 km/h; 228mph)

Blade weights 22g (0.022kg)
Impact time: 4ms (0.004s)
Impact speed: 102,5m/s

Force: ~564 N (1N is a force that can propel 1kg/2.2 pound to a speed of 1m/s). Equal to ~57kg (~125 pounds) punch. If my calculations are correct tho

In short: pains as hell. If you ever get hit by a blade you will probably be in need of a few stitches. Btw - blade is a very accurate name as it behaves like one. It cuts.
Your overlooking one thing, blades are not aerodynamically stable when travelling point first (or at all really). So the blade will be tumbling unless you are really close. So there is a small chance you will be hit with an edge and a much larger one that you will not. Also due to the low mass for the size of the blade and the fact that it will be tumbling it will bleed speed off very rapidly. I would not be at all surprised if a 450 blade that has travelled 10-15m from the heli after detaching ceases to do more than very minor damage (a bruise, small cut if you get hit by the sharp corner etc.)

Rotor blades can travel a very long way from the heli, but they cease to be dangerous for a lot of that distance (at least not much more dangerous than one falling on you from the height the heli was when the blade detached. Larger blades are more dangerous, as they have a greater mass to surface area ratio and so will not lose velocity to air resistance as rapidly.

Your characterisation of rotor blades as "blades" for cutting purposes is also exaggerated, they have orders of magnitude more surface area on the edge than anything you could call a cutting blade. Butter knives are sharper... Yes they can do damage but only at velocities that would see a proper edge with the same mass go right through you (a 22g razor blade at 100m/s is going to cut deep, to the bone at least, only a larger rotor under power has ever been recorded doing that sort of damage).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in