Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Slight friction in one mixing arm

My 500esp kit arrived today! I don't know who was more excited, me or my 2-yr old, who on seeing the box immediately said something that reasonably approximated 'helicopter', along with a clear "open, open!!' He was most upset when we put the parts back in the box and sent him to bed.

Anyway, I of course immediately jumped in and built up the head through the flybar. However, I noticed that one mixing arm has slightly more friction in its movement than the other. I don't even know if I would have noticed it had I not had the other one to compare to, but I think so. The only think I can think of that didn't go perfectly is that on one side (don't know which) the screw slid back through the bearing after I put a touch of loctite on the tip (I put the loctite on the tip after putting the screw into the bearing, intentionally trying to avoid getting any loctite inside).

I would have thought that any loctite in the bearing would freeze it up pretty solid. Does the amount of friction in the bearing depend at all on how far the screw is tightened? Should I be worried? Should I be ordering a new pair of bearings?

On a marginally related note, anyone else find a ridiculously small amount of blue loctite in their kit? I mean they actually would have had to try pretty hard to get such a small drop in the bottle!! First item on my shopping list...
p28driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i found that one of mine was a little tighter than the other, i can still move it easily and it will move if i give the head a shake, so im going to run it as is, if yours is considerably tighter that the other one i would take it back apart and check the bearings and make sure all of the washers are in the right spot
Old 12-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm probably overly worried - it definitely flops back and forth quite freely. If I lift up the heavier side and let go it just takes a little longer for it to fall than the other side, and I can feel the difference when I move it my hand. It still feels smooth, no notchiness and not much drag, just enough different to notice. Could it just be a little more torque on the screw than the other side? I would have thought it wouldn't matter unless you tightened enough to start crushing the bearing.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If it falls on it's own with gravity you are definitely good to go. If you want to be a perfectionist, pull it apart and check the bearing itself make sure the inner race is actually moving and not seized and rotating around the screw. (a possibility) When I put those on I found it easier to slide the screw in, dip the end of the screw in some loctite and wipe off the excess with a paper towel or my finger then it goes on nice and smooth and no loctite squishes out into the bearing. Oh yeah, and make sure you didn't accidentally drop a washer!
Timmster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks guys. I applied the loctite after putting the bolt through, but should have wiped it off more, and should have left my finger over the head to keep it from sliding out when I tipped it upside down! I don't really think it's a loctite issue, but I'll probably disassemble anyway just for kicks. No sense in giving up on perfection after the first day!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just built mine this weekend and found the same issue. The problem was the spacer between the two bearings in the arm was soft and crushed when I tightened it causing it to rest on the inner and outer part of the bearing. I bought some plastic mixing arms from the LHS and took the bearings and the spacer out of them and they were interchangable. I reassembled them into the ESP metal arm and it was smooth as butter.
skyfrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The problem was the spacer between the two bearings in the arm was soft and crushed when I tightened it causing it to rest on the inner and outer part of the bearing. I bought some plastic mixing arms from the LHS and took the bearings and the spacer out of them and they were interchangable. I reassembled them into the ESP metal arm and it was smooth as butter
Now THAT makes sense. I'm stopping by the LHS today to pick up some other stuff, so I'll see if I can do the same. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra couple bearings around anyway, if that's not the problem.

Any suggestions on how to pop the bearings out without damaging them?

Maybe my "torque wrench" (aka fingers) needs a recalibration...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was worried that the spacer crushed into the bearing so I reloaced them with the ones in that came with the palstic arms. They are the same. Since I was replacing them I didnt use too much caution taking them out. I used my allen in the center of the bearing and pushed them out tapping the back of the allen driver on the table. Also, be sure to use the shim washers that come with the plastic arms too. you will see that on the ones that you have already used on the original install will be concaved from tightneing. These are the small shinny washers that go on each outside surface of the bearings. This was the only issue I had with the build. They just seemed waayyyy soft. The ones I replaced then with were more stout...even by looking at them they were not as (tin-like).
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this problem on the esp too?
PyroM!KE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it was on mine
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine's an ESP also. I don't know yet if my problem is related. My LHS didn't have the part, so I'll have to order. I probably won't disassemble and check until I get the replacement. I'll post when I figure it out.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, mine is an ESP. New frame version too!! Here is the part #. Its only $9.99. Not disassembling is a good idea. If you do it will be worse the 2nd time around.

H50024 SF Mixing Arm T-REX 500
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I think the moral of the story here is don't over tighten the mixing arm!?! let the threadlock do it's thing! As long as you have a fair amount on there you do not need to apply excess pressure to lock it down.
Timmster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is good advise too!! It just seemed like the spacer was much softer and of poor material vs the older version that came with the plastic arm. I just built a 600n right before this one and you do have to be a bit more carefull to not crush stuff on the smaller birds...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in