Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb Perhaps solve tail wash issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-fly View Post
Alot of it is hand made. It does fly but the tail doesnt hold at all, I'm working on a lighter head so maybe itll help reduce the torque and fly the way it should

Pics will come when I have a solid design lol
If your not running an extended tail boom try first but also u can pull tail boom and motor from 120sr stronger tail motor drill out tail boom mounting hole on chassis and slide 120 SR tail right in
AlwaysHaveFun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Might try halving the width of the blades.

Would be a real PITA to get them all the same and balanced, but would look more scale and probably help with the tail.
TheQuixote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What are you using for the fuselage? Is it a model kit of something? What's the helicopter, I don't recognize it? Thanks and love these type of projects!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be intreasted to know how you overcome the phasing issues.

Since the mcpx FBL system is set to 90' phasing, you will have to find a way to keep the grips and links at 90' to each other, which is an issue since there is a grip at every 90' point

My guess if you will likely have to raise the head, and put a vertical "drop arm" on each grip to meet the swash links under each blade grip?
4G6, mCPX, mCPXBL, nCPX, mSR, mCX
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I will be intreasted to know how you overcome the phasing issues.

Since the mcpx FBL system is set to 90' phasing, you will have to find a way to keep the grips and links at 90' to each other, which is an issue since there is a grip at every 90' point

My guess if you will likely have to raise the head, and put a vertical "drop arm" on each grip to meet the swash links under each blade grip?
Would phasing really be an issue? The turning torque applied by the highest pitched point in the rotation is still 90 degrees off, regardless of the number of blades in the rotor no? Perhaps I'm missing something?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Alot of it is hand made. It does fly but the tail doesnt hold at all, I'm working on a lighter head so maybe itll help reduce the torque and fly the way it should

Pics will come when I have a solid design lol
To reduce blade weight and hence torque, you could try drilling holes in the blades, then laminating them with a lightweight strong self adhesive tape. I've done that a few times in experimental phases.

As for the tail, you could do the double tail motor mod, which is simple and effective.

Keep going, you'll get there in the end! That's the fun bit of it, with the frustration in between!
Roffey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffey View Post
To reduce blade weight and hence torque, you could try drilling holes in the blades, then laminating them with a lightweight strong self adhesive tape. I've done that a few times in experimental phases.

As for the tail, you could do the double tail motor mod, which is simple and effective.

Keep going, you'll get there in the end! That's the fun bit of it, with the frustration in between!
I did this thing with the mSR and 120SR flybar paddles. It's pretty easy thing to do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drilled_flybar-02.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	249218   Click image for larger version

Name:	drilled_flybar-01.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	249219   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf5391.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	249220   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf5394.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	249221  
liftbag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What other tail motors might be suitable for handling the extra torque but still light enough?
How about the main motor from the MSRX?
ebeing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

so-fly...

Any news on this project?

I am working on something similar. Would love to see your progress and compare notes.

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Erwin Landau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many featuring spindles does it need?
caseyjholmes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty impressive, even if it dosent fly all that well YET.
ZebraCakez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin Landau View Post
so-fly...

Any news on this project?

I am working on something similar. Would love to see your progress and compare notes.

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Havnt been in this section of the woods in awhile but it did fly and flew ok with a 2s brushless setup in it, i ended up discarding the project and moved to larger helis mainly due to how fragile the entire project was in case of a crash.

my main issues were:
parts count in case of crash
procrastination
and too complex to do a mass production of

a few things i did change was i had cut down versions of stock blades, did a CNC plastic rotor head instead of aluminum, made direct links to the rotor grips instead of a swash lock.
so-fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 4 Blade head...

Hi so-fly...

Bummer to hear that you moved on from the project... but then again it's good to know when to move on... not one of my virtues. Everybody keep on telling me that there is no point to the multi blade story...
I am sticking with the Micros as there is no space or funds for the bigger birds and I am sure I would end up with a twin turbine 1/4 scale Black Hawk... eventually...

Here a pix from the testing rig, it will end up eventually in a OH-6 body with Brushless motor and if I keep trashing my tails (I am on number 6 right now) it will end up with a torque tail...

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6619.jpg
Views:	1686
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	299310  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi so-fly...

Bummer to hear that you moved on from the project... but then again it's good to know when to move on... not one of my virtues. Everybody keep on telling me that there is no point to the multi blade story...
I am sticking with the Micros as there is no space or funds for the bigger birds and I am sure I would end up with a twin turbine 1/4 scale Black Hawk... eventually...

Here a pix from the testing rig, it will end up eventually in a OH-6 body with Brushless motor and if I keep trashing my tails (I am on number 6 right now) it will end up with a torque tail...

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Lookin' good, Erwin.

For some reason I really like this project, I guess it's just the coolness factor (which is through the roof in my opinion).

Keep us informed, I really want to see a successful quad-McpX.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3 Blade Head

Thanks man...

What do you think of that one then... While I was waiting for parts for the OH-6... I saw a Schweizer 300C scale fuse for the mCP X and just had to...

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6618.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	299322  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks man...

What do you think of that one then... While I was waiting for parts for the OH-6... I saw a Schweizer 300C scale fuse for the mCP X and just had to...

Fly Safe!

Erwin

Thats pretty clean looking as well.

If you had to give a quick estimate, about how much time do you think you have into each of these? Im just curious.

They are both impressive. Make sure you post up some videos when they are finally in the air, I'm dying to see these fly.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Muli blade heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCakez View Post
Thats pretty clean looking as well.

If you had to give a quick estimate, about how much time do you think you have into each of these? Im just curious.

They are both impressive. Make sure you post up some videos when they are finally in the air, I'm dying to see these fly.

Hmm, that's a toughy... way to much if you ask my wife!

I was pursuing the scale path for a while now, but I only got the mCP X back in December and didn't open the box until I got sick and tired of the mSR X in mid January. Since them I was sourcing parts, mainly the Gaui head parts are far and between these days. The feathering shaft was another story (and an expensive one) It took a months for the second version and I just got them yesterday... so mainly it was waiting around for most of it.

The main plan was the 4 Blade... the 3 Blade just happened while I was waiting for parts... The 5 Blade is just sitting as I have not enough feathering shafts for it and the Swash plate is another headache...

I will buy my own machines and do it my self next time around...
I am getting my carbon plates next week and will cut my own frame sides for the Microheli frames as they should have been in the first place...

It's frustrating sometimes... but if all would go smooth all the time... where would be the fun in that...? Okay I admit, more time in the air for sure... but that's fun for the days it's to bad to fly...

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will buy my own machines and do it my self next time around...
Better yet build your own machine and do it yourself. There are some pretty low priced options for both building and buying small machines these days, but you will learn so much more about the particular machine and how to best utilize it to get the parts you want by building. It can be a fairly plug and play situation too, and open source software or commercial options for a machine controller. If you need help or advice on what machines to build or buy give me a shout, be happy to answer questions.
Is the swash your biggest obstacle currently? Or do you need lighter hub/spindle shaft deals? Got a sketch, or better yet 3d model of what it is that you need?
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko76 View Post
Better yet build your own machine and do it yourself. There are some pretty low priced options for both building and buying small machines these days, but you will learn so much more about the particular machine and how to best utilize it to get the parts you want by building. It can be a fairly plug and play situation too, and open source software or commercial options for a machine controller. If you need help or advice on what machines to build or buy give me a shout, be happy to answer questions.
Is the swash your biggest obstacle currently? Or do you need lighter hub/spindle shaft deals? Got a sketch, or better yet 3d model of what it is that you need?

Hi Koko76,

In a previous life I wanted to become an engineer and I spend four years making blueprints first with ink by hand and later with Autocad for other people and I hated it. At the company I used to work you had from time to time go down and work side by side with the mechanics to make you a better engineer while trying to actually build the crap that you designed... that was actually fun... I always stayed late and used the machines to make stuff for my private use...

Later when I started working in the Camera department I found my self constantly designing stuff to make life easier on set... I had a great machinist in LA who would make me prototypes for free and then keep the idea and make money with it... I didn't care to make money on it and it worked great for both of us as he made any crazy idea I had into a prototype.
Drawing Programs... It was always hard to find something decent for the Mac Platform (under $10 grand), I used to play around with TurboCad and a little with Solid Works but both didn't run well on Snow Leopard and with Lion basically 80% of my overpriced Software is now junk.

But anyhow...
These days I make quick hand drawings with all important dimensions and surface finishing and end up over paying for the parts... the feathering shafts ended up costing me $40.- a piece... as instead of just setting it up on the small CNC machine, he let the apprentice try it and spend 4 hours at the lathe on it... At that rate I could have done it myself... way cheaper...

I looked at Proxxon, they have some nice 2 and 3 axis machines staring at $500.- for milling machines to about $1500.- for a lathe or combination of it... There are tabletop 3 axis CNC machines that are about in that range... just the proprietary software is the killer on the deal...

What would be your take on it?

Fly Safe!

Erwin
Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Koko76,

In a previous life I wanted to become an engineer and I spend four years making blueprints first with ink by hand and later with Autocad for other people and I hated it. At the company I used to work you had from time to time go down and work side by side with the mechanics to make you a better engineer while trying to actually build the crap that you designed... that was actually fun... I always stayed late and used the machines to make stuff for my private use...

Later when I started working in the Camera department I found my self constantly designing stuff to make life easier on set... I had a great machinist in LA who would make me prototypes for free and then keep the idea and make money with it... I didn't care to make money on it and it worked great for both of us as he made any crazy idea I had into a prototype.
Drawing Programs... It was always hard to find something decent for the Mac Platform (under $10 grand), I used to play around with TurboCad and a little with Solid Works but both didn't run well on Snow Leopard and with Lion basically 80% of my overpriced Software is now junk.

But anyhow...
These days I make quick hand drawings with all important dimensions and surface finishing and end up over paying for the parts... the feathering shafts ended up costing me $40.- a piece... as instead of just setting it up on the small CNC machine, he let the apprentice try it and spend 4 hours at the lathe on it... At that rate I could have done it myself... way cheaper...

I looked at Proxxon, they have some nice 2 and 3 axis machines staring at $500.- for milling machines to about $1500.- for a lathe or combination of it... There are tabletop 3 axis CNC machines that are about in that range... just the proprietary software is the killer on the deal...

What would be your take on it?

Fly Safe!

Erwin
I'd say that's not the greatest apprentice
I run Solidworks on my MacPro in Parallels, Snow Leopard. I have my own seat of 2006, and I have a seat for work that's current. Runs really well, I run Mastercam under parallels as well. It won't crunch quite as fast as dedicated machine, but for making a part or two at home I can't complain.
I built my own machine 3/4 axis machine, I couldn't give you a cost number (fear and not knowing) several k, that's for sure though, but I used linear guides, ballscrews, and a brushless drive/cartridge spindle. All it lacks at this point is a tool changer which will be coming soon enough. Good cam is expensive, but for 2.5D or even simple surfacing you can get stuff for a couple hundred or so, even free in some cases.
If you have things you want cut I can take a look at it. If it's something I'm interested in making for myself I'm generally happy to make two at the same time, send you one for your trouble of designing it.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in