Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scorpion Commander 6s 45A ESC BEC Specs and 9257

Hi!

can any of you esteemed heli freaks tell me what the voltage output of the internal BEC is? The reason I ask is that all the stores quote 5.0V, but the specs on the Scorpion web site say 5.7V in the product description text, and 5.5V in the specs sheet below?!

I ordered a Scorpion 2221-8 and 45A V2 ESC and want to know if I can use the internal BEC for my tail Futaba 9257 servo that likes 4.8V the best. If it is 5.7V output, what step down regulator do I use?

Do any of you have experience with this ESC? Not a lot written about it I am finding out, but it sure sounds great on paper, with slow start, governor mode, programmable cut off voltage and the IR remote!
dmalovic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello, I have recently purchased a commander 45a v2 3-4s ESC and a 2221-8 motor. I have the same gyro and servo as you do. The web site says 5.0v BEC my unit outputs 5.9v. I e-mailed innova8tive and they said they have changed the output to accommodate 2.4 radios at 5.0v they said the some radios would drop below 4.8v and shut down. So I would say yes buy a regulator or an in line one for the tail servo.
Rustynail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynail View Post
Hello, I have recently purchased a commander 45a v2 3-4s ESC and a 2221-8 motor. I have the same gyro and servo as you do. The web site says 5.0v BEC my unit outputs 5.9v. I e-mailed innova8tive and they said they have changed the output to accommodate 2.4 radios at 5.0v they said the some radios would drop below 4.8v and shut down. So I would say yes buy a regulator or an in line one for the tail servo.
Thanks for the heads up, good you checked. I hope you checked the voltage under load? I hope the simplest solution would be the inline step down, right, so the other components can enjoy the safe 6V?

Also, is it possible to mount the ESC on the ESC tray underneath the battery, or is it too long and wide to fit?

I would really like to keep it there, and had I done my homework better, I would have gone to some other ESC for that reason alone - size I really don't want to have it mounted on the side, messing up my balance . What were they thinking. I hope soft start works great, and voltage cut off...
Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ESC is a little large I have mine on the opposite side of the ruder servo for "balance" It is very smooth with the 2221-8 motor good power and flight time. I'm still new to this (EP Heli) I had a long time ago a Kyosho Nexus .30 gaser. It wasn't 3d capable and quite big compared to these. I like this one much better clean quiet and very portable in a short time I'm already better than I was with the .30. Still a long way to go though.
Rustynail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Funny thing is all online shops ans websites say that Scorpion 45A V2 ESC is has 5V BEC. I have one and it is 6V. It is even written on the golden plate of the ESC.
tuupola is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuupola View Post
Funny thing is all online shops ans websites say that Scorpion 45A V2 ESC is has 5V BEC. I have one and it is 6V. It is even written on the golden plate of the ESC.
Well, I asked Lucien and he tells me there are two versions of the ESC, the 4S and the 6S. 4S to my great disappointment comes with a linear BEC, and does output 6V. It seems the best option will be to just use an external BEC, which will keep the ESC cooler. But that means more soldering, more wires. Should have listened to people who praise Kontronik. Yes, it is expensive, but it's a fire and forget option
Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

LoL dont worry and keep your head up. I got the 4s 45A and the same motor. yes I was able to put my ESC under the battery even though it is some what big. I just finished my build not too long ago and mine turned out great.
I used the external BEC and a step down for the tail. YES all this does take up more space then I had hoped for but I seemed to have found great ways to fit it all in there.
If you want to see some pics of how to fit it all in there and with great balance just tell me.
And by the way I had a hard time getting this motor to fit cause of the wires on top not sure if it was hard for anyone else.
But good luck and stay focused.
tripp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripp View Post
LoL dont worry and keep your head up. I got the 4s 45A and the same motor. yes I was able to put my ESC under the battery even though it is some what big. I just finished my build not too long ago and mine turned out great.
I used the external BEC and a step down for the tail. YES all this does take up more space then I had hoped for but I seemed to have found great ways to fit it all in there.
If you want to see some pics of how to fit it all in there and with great balance just tell me.
And by the way I had a hard time getting this motor to fit cause of the wires on top not sure if it was hard for anyone else.
But good luck and stay focused.
Thanks for the info - I am glad it will still fit under the battery. I have the 2221-6 in my bird now, and the wires on the top were not a problem, I have them looking towards the nose. The wires from the ESC are right next to the motor, and bent back towards the nose, above the ESC there they connect with the motor wires. I keep it all down with rubber bands, and it works great, but my Turnigy 40A esc is small!

Today I almost crashed the bird. Landed in Idle-UP (still a total beginner), hit the throttle hold to stop the rotor. Than decided to have another go with the throttle stick half way up. Luckily everything survived.

• Why did you opt for an external BEC? Just to get rid of the linear one on board?
  • Where did you get the step down, or did you build it yourself?
  • Yes I would love to see the build pictures very much

Why did you choose an external BEC, because you wanted
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here are some pics of my heli I got it finished mostly. I just have some small things left to do like chinese weights on the tail and some other stuff. The bec is a switching sport bec and I decided to use it cause I dident like the wast of energy through heat. And i wanted my bec to handel all the current the servos need without shuting down the bec (just to be safe). I cant rember where I got the voltage reg for the tail but it is a Western Robotics the one with the LED on it. I think its only like 5 bucks. I cant say weather its great or not cause i havent used it for vary long. But it does work.
DX7, AR7000, GY401, 9257, scorpion 45A, 2221-8, HS65MG, KongPower 26C, sport bec,

And by the way hows the flyin been lately. Are you set in your parts list, if so id like to here what your using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00570.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	88989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00572.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	88990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00574.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	88991  
tripp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in