Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Need Help w/os 50 Needle

Good evening all!!
I am having trouble with my OS hyper 50. Here is the issue. I temp the motor at the head where the blue and silver meet. it was runnign around 208-212f. Plenty of smoke if not excessive. I was a bit woried about being too hot so I went out on the main needle 2 clicks. This made it rich to the point that it almost stalled? Brought it down and temp was around 180f. I went back in the 2 clicks and all was okay again but there was still a ton of smoke and the engine was still @ 208f. It is around 45f outside today so not really too cold. I checked how many turnes out the main needle was and it was like 4 click from a full turn.

What is normal for how far the main should be out. I read 1.75 turns and 1.5 turns???
Mine is like 85% of a full turn (running cool power 30). Seems like it shoud be way lean at that but dang there is a ton of amoke still coming out and the heli was so drenched with fuel after flight it had a drop on the guide for the tail link.
skyfrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would turn the low speed in a little. like 1/8 turn. Then turn mainout to 1&1/4 and check temps, then tune from there.
sawdust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Get the engine nice and warmed up and try a pinch test, i.e. pinch the fuel line going into the carb. If it goes longer than 4 seconds, the low end is probably too rich. I think most folks usually end up with the low end slight to the lean side of center.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the info So how far out are you guys???
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm running 1.75 out with cool power 30%
Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi skyfrog,

1.25 out with Align pipe and coolpower 30%
1 out with Align pipe and Rapicon 30%
1.50 out with Hatori 50 NS3D and KY 30%

As you can see, pipe and fuel does make a difference.
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you all... I think I found the issue today
Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfrog View Post
Thank you all... I think I found the issue today
Care to elaborate so that others can benefit from your discovery?
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah.. please pass on what you learned.. I'll be firing up my os 50 in the next few weeks..
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well... I am a fool When the issue first started I was flying and the motor was losing power in and out of RPM etc. I landed and temped to see if I was lean and found 212f so I went out on the main needle a few clicks. Put it into a hover and whoa... the thing would change RPM more irratically than before. This is where I checked how far my main was out from all the way in and sorta thought it was strange to be less that one full turn (I am @ 5000ft elevation). I noodled on it today and on break I took my heli to the field and took it out of gov mode. It ran fine. I readjusted the carb to where it ran right and no issues. Put it back into gov mode and there was the issue again. I have an LE so I am using the Align gov. So far this evening I took off the sensor and made sure the magnets were still in place and they were (correct polarity also) I adjusted the sensor and recalibrated the gov to the stick position and rotated the crank to assure the light would go out when the magnet was sensed.. it passed. Tomorrow I plan to pop er up and see if the sensor was just not close enough giving an intermitant signal to the gov. Ill post back the results....

Thanks again fellas...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let us know how it turns out, I have been flyng mine as well without the Governor and it doesn't have that kick like it use to or have enough power to do much punch outs and definitely not enough power to get out of a vertical flip back to upright. Tonight I put my Governor back on but this time I have a new metal fan in there so we'll see tomorrow. Can't wait till' daylight and wake the neighbors up with the Hyper 50 screaming at 8am. LOL
RCTada is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet!!! Good luck to you too RCTada!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well got my governor back on and low and behold she runs perfect now! I also made sure that my Stunt Mode 1 and 2 were regular throttle curve not flat line so 0/50/100 as per the manual says and she sounds really good, I will measure the headspeed when it gets warmer it was just a quick 5 minute startup and tested all the modes.

Definitely got a lot of punch now that the governor is back on. I have mine at 1 1/2 open and 2-3 clicks open some more because its 30 degrees cold here still, not too rich as well, pinch test was 5 seconds and finger heat test was 10 seconds so overall its in perfect working order and the tail held solid as a rock.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

RCTada, that is great news!! I am glad to hear you are back up and problem solved. I popped mine up today and in gov mode all was well!!! Flew 2 tanks w/o any issues. I am at 5000 feet and around 50f so not much o2 to work with so a few clicks short of a full turn out is around 200f at the head with cool power 30.The only thing that I wory about is the holes to mount the sensor still didnt allow me to get the sensor right where I wanted it. It was close and for now it works but it would be nice if the holes on the frame were more elongated to allow for better adjustment range. I thought about taking the dremel to the frame but that will be my last resort.
Have a great day and thanks again for everyone's input!!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfrog View Post
RCTada, that is great news!! I am glad to hear you are back up and problem solved. I popped mine up today and in gov mode all was well!!! Flew 2 tanks w/o any issues. I am at 5000 feet and around 50f so not much o2 to work with so a few clicks short of a full turn out is around 200f at the head with cool power 30.The only thing that I wory about is the holes to mount the sensor still didnt allow me to get the sensor right where I wanted it. It was close and for now it works but it would be nice if the holes on the frame were more elongated to allow for better adjustment range. I thought about taking the dremel to the frame but that will be my last resort.
Have a great day and thanks again for everyone's input!!
Great news! Don't use the dremel on the frame but do USE IT on the FAN HOUSING. I made mine a little bigger to make it fit but not too big just enough to where the sensor wasn't hitting any of its sides on the fan housing. Anyways great job, now I just need to buy me a case of 30% Nitro somewhere, everyone keeps talking about getting it for 19 or 20 bucks a gallon and have to buy a full case you know any online source? My LHS sells it for 32.99 bucks a gallon for Coolpower 30% OMG!!!!!! LOL Too much!@#$!@$#@!$
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

A bunch of us here pitch in a few times a year and we get a whole pallet to save some $$$. I love cool power 30 buy you're right it is expensive. Some others around are using Wildcat 30??? They say it runs the same??
As for the fan housing I agree. It may viberate and push the sensor out of adjustment with time if it is allowed to rub. I will be taking a mm or two off of it this weekend!!

Have a good one
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I switched to the Spektrum crank sensor because I got tired of having to worry about the proximity of the fan sensor to the magnets. I will never go back. I would recommend the AlumaFX sensor now because it forgoes the plastic parts in favor of aluminum. It will work with the Align gov with a different plug and a wire swap (instructions for doing so are included with the AlumaFX sensor, I believe).
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bum,
This sensor really works with the Align Gov?? That would be sweet!!!
thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in