Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Transmitter trim on a Spectrum DXe

Problem - (I'm wordy, the question is below) I have a 230S and bought the RTF with a DXe. Love the 230 but I absolutely hate the DXe's audible trim function tone/clicks. I do have somewhat reduced hearing but have had my wife (she flies a Nano CPS) listen and we both have the same experience. The center trim second tone/click doesn't always sound. Also if I go through the struggle to find center for all 4 trims, power everything down without ever changing trim then power back up it's my habit to confirm center trim. One click either direction then back one should double click/tone to confirm center. It rarely does. Then I'm hunting back and forth for center. I returned the DXe to Horizon and they tested it, no charge for the test and return shipping, but they said it works as designed and they always get the center trim signal. The DXe makes perfectly audible actual tones on power up so this is obviously a software problem not hardware. Maybe Horizon will change it in future DXe software releases. Unless I'm the only one with this problem.

Question - If for any reason any of the trims are not centered on powering everything up is that trim setting sent to the receiver and will I have a corresponding drift consistent with the non centered trim? I intend to test this but really want an informed answer. If the trim corrections are only sent realtime as they are made and in the scenero I questioned the Heli will not be sent trim corrections for the power up positions then I might dispense with the routine of centering trims on the DXe. If not, I'll just keep struggling with the DXe.
irob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As far as the fly bar less system is concerned.
Trim corrections are only sent real time!

When you trim say 2 clicks right. Then power up the helicopter the helicopter sees this as the center. Only trim inputs after the helicopter is powered up trim the fly bar less unit.

As I have only just heard of this transmitter I have not looked at the manual. If it is possible to do so, you should consider turning off trim function / disable trim and it won't be a problem for you as you never trim a fly bar less helicopter!
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the answer. I won't struggle with the trim on the DXe every session. As far as program ability, the DXe has no LCD display and requires a PC, cable and software for the PC to program change models. There are a few things that can be programmed by stick movements and audible tones but I believe they are servo settings and the process sounds confusing.
I wouldn't buy another DXe. I have a DX6i that came with the Phoenix sim. The throttle control on the DXe has noticable friction and with a light touch will stick and then release as you move it. I notice this flying. The only thing it has the DX6i lacks is all three flight modes. The DX6i will only do two without reprogramming. I use the DX6i for everything but the 230S. I'll probably buy a DX7 or something without the 2 FM limitation.in the future.
Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome! Yes pretty good advice. If you buy a new transmitter, even if used you should give a try to the new Gen2's (the ones with the shorter antennae that does not bend in two). Starting from the DX6 they all have a lot of nice included features and you can change pretty much everything on them. Here is a little introduction piece:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

Make sure you check out the JJInverted 230 S videos, everything you need to know about that little heli is there.

Hope you enjoy. Good luck!
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

The RTF offerings, when you're new at this, are hard to pass up to pay a lot more for a better transmitter. It took me time using several transmitters to fully understand how much better the DX6i I got with the Phoenix sim was , even with its limitations. So, I will shop with more understanding of what I'm buying next time. At least a DX7 is in my future.
I'll be checking out the videos and link. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just got the opposite answer from Horizon support

I was having a problem with a Nano CPS with severe forward and right drift after a crash. Nothing I tried worked to resolve it so I called Horizon heli support. The Nano is bound to my DX6i. The support tech walked me through everything I had already done. No problem I've done tech support in telecommunications. You have to cover the obvious and easy steps as part of the process.
But he made a point of telling me to center all the trims before powering up the Nano.
Well that took me right back to the question I asked in my original post in this thread. The tech gave me the opposite answer from Imzzaudae and a different Horizon tech on another call. Asking the question irritated him. He made that clear. I really need to get off my butt and test this.
FYI the problem with the Nano was resolve by me eventually by programming another model entry in the DX6i. Not sure what happened. The original config for the Nano was still correct and had worked for weeks. Weird but I'll take the fix even if I don't understand.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure if you can disable trim on the DXe or DX6i. On my DX8, you simply set all of the trim values to "0". There is no reason to have any trim on a flybarless heli (not to be confused with sub-trim). Sub-trim is set via programming in the transmitter, not by moving the trim sliders. Some FBL controllers allow for sub-trim, and some do not. I've never heard of a FBL that uses trim (e.g. the trim sliders).
Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you can disable trim on the DXe. If you can it will take the interface cable, software and a PC. The DX6i manual has a menu tree and it's not there. I have a feeling that Imzzaudae's answer and the one of two Horizon techs is probably the right answer. I will get off my butt and test this today. Should be easy to confirm. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in