Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default P500 stretched - belt tention vs. belt noise?

So my P500 stretch is going great! I have my drive train installed and started to figure out the belt tension. I did watch F.Bob's video and saw about were he set the tail "toothing" so you see a bit of the boom holder in the "window" of the frame. This is all fine. But when I pull the tail boom back to a certain tighter tension I start hearing belt noise when spinning the main gear by hand. At 1st I thought it might be a twist, so I started over with a 2nd pair of hands to make sure everything was perfect. Results were exactly the same. Everything is quiet until a certain tension is reached. Then I hear the noise of the belt. I'm assuming it's the teeth of the belt entering and leaving the main gear? All pulleys are good and the belt is traveling in the center of the main gear.

So I guess my question is what is an acceptable amount of this belt noise? Or should I not be concerned about it and just focus on the tension?

Thanks for any insight on this!
NickBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What type of noise are you hearing? "with blades removed" have you tried a slow spool up yet? Double check your idler pulleys to ensure they are fully seated in frame, With a very slow spool uop, check your belt traking on both main and tail pulleys.if not traking center something off. Are you running "cf" frame ? Is it a new frame or used? An older frame, depending how it was cared for and built , can have some worn mounting holes where motor/tailboom mounts , thus allowing for improper alignment.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
What type of noise are you hearing? "with blades removed" have you tried a slow spool up yet? Double check your idler pulleys to ensure they are fully seated in frame, With a very slow spool uop, check your belt traking on both main and tail pulleys.if not traking center something off. Are you running "cf" frame ? Is it a new frame or used? An older frame, depending how it was cared for and built , can have some worn mounting holes where motor/tailboom mounts , thus allowing for improper alignment.
So this is a brand new Carbon / Stretched build. No blades / swash / head on yet. No power yet. I'm just spinning the main gear by hand (main gear is bolted on the shaft and the shaft is secured in with bottom bolt and top collar). All the pulleys are seated and spinning free. I know for 100% there are no extra twists in the belt. Belt is tracking perfect in the middle of the main gear.

The noise I'm hearing when I pull the tail tight (maybe too tight) sounds like friction of the belt teeth entering the main. The sound gets amplified in the boom. When the belt is looser there is no noise at all.

BTW, where are you in NJ?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In central Jersey, North Brunswick. If it is consistent sound , prob new belt on new gear, (almost squeak) you can rub some 100% pure silicone spray on belt,( not wd40 or other generic lubes) Check your tension between gear and rear pulley, firm push should be about 2mm of flex. if not too tight, also in front of gear by pinion,opposite side as idler, about 1mm flex. You probably have some nice fields to fly by you in Morris?
If you ever down this way hit me up with pm.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
In central Jersey, North Brunswick. If it is consistent sound , prob new belt on new gear, (almost squeak) you can rub some 100% pure silicone spray on belt,( not wd40 or other generic lubes) Check your tension between gear and rear pulley, firm push should be about 2mm of flex. if not too tight, also in front of gear by pinion,opposite side as idler, about 1mm flex. You probably have some nice fields to fly by you in Morris?
If you ever down this way hit me up with pm.
Yup a squeak is a good way to describe the noise I'm getting when I pull the tail tighter. I have food grade silicone spay (no petro) so I will give the belt a light coat and see how that helps. Now if only my work schedule would calm down a bit!

As far as flying in Morris, I'll PM you!

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned User

Tri-flow synthetic lubricant. Or that food grade silicone stuff NickBee mentioned.

If you do get the tri-flow make sure its not the dry formula. That stuff has an additive that can gunk up bearings and your belt. Whatever you do, dont use the dry formula on your motor bearings.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in