Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I prime a pumped motor

Guys I got a pumped motor and its taking for ever to start this thing on the first start up after that it starts the first hit I am using the align starter and a ys 60sr it takes about 3 mins to start this thing on first start up

FLYING EVERY CHANCE I GET
blindpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpilot View Post
Guys I got a pumped motor and its taking for ever to start this thing on the first start up after that it starts the first hit I am using the align starter and a ys 60sr it takes about 3 mins to start this thing on first start up
I never prime my engine anymore I just wait until it starts. But if you have clear fuel line you can throttle up a bit and turn over you're engine with you're starter and once it reach to carb then plug in you're glo starter (glo plug igniter) then start it with you're starter.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A recent post on a hard to start motor said to make sure your idle stop and mixtures are set correctly. Then pinch fuel line near carb and spin engine to clear it. Then un pinch and light glow plug. Spin engine until it starts.

Regards,

Steve

Sent from Tapatalk using my Inspire 4g through ATT (meaning it's a wonder you can see this!)

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

When filling op the tank, you close the outlet and then fill up some more.
This way you get some pre-pressure in the tank and this will start the egine qiucker.
Take care when you remove the pomp nipple because the fuel will come out again.

Frans.
FLAU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I will try that thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will try that thanks
I forgot to to say if you try my way plug up ur muffler.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use my fuel pump.

Instead is beating up your cold engine with a starter trying to build enough pressure to feed you engine with enought fuel for initial start, just close the fuel line towards the tank and pump a little fuel straight into the engine with a hand pump.After that its just heat the glow and let it go.Works every time with my align starter and os91

Once the engine is running, the system is easily pressurized
BlackWatch88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Copied from my post in the 700 Nitro section:

It will start MUCH easier if you prime it for the first start of the day. Open the throttle somewhere between half and fully open (it varies a little from engine to engine and will take a little experimentation to find what works best). Crank the engine over WITHOUT the glo starter until you see fuel reach the carb. Continue to crank a few seconds longer and you will actually hear the rpms go up slightly. Stop cranking, go back to idle, put the glo starter on, crank briefly and it should fire right up. Without a proper prime I have seen guys try starting an engine that uses crankcase pressure until their starter batteries are dead. For the rest of the day it should start right up. If it sits for a few hours and doesn't start easily, prime again. Should then be good to go.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I switched recently from a muffler pressure system to the OS regulator and this engine realy takes it time to start!! When i see bubbles in the fuel line normaly i plug the muffler turn it over and they go into the carb which indicates flow towards the engine but not with the regulator!! the tank is pressurized but still no fuel reaching the engine! I tried to open throttle fully and plug the muffler then i get a little bit fuel into the engine but i still needs some serious cranking until it starts!
My gues is that the regulator will not let the fuel go into the engine if not running unlike the normal carb which will flood the engine if you do not clamp the fuel line after running! This thing did start every time with ease!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no reason to plug the muffler while cranking on an engine that uses crankcase pressure. That is not how you prime it.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wonder if you have a 1 way valve problem. the tubing lenght and size are important. or you may have a leak somewhere. my ys engines start in a few seconds. i see fuel flow to the carb within a few seconds of cranking.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1

My OS 91 takes only a couple of seconds of cranking to prime the carb, as did my old YS 50. My OS 55 was a different story, you could crank the 55 forever and not get anywhere. I finally decided that the 55, with it's smaller crankcase volume took a few more revolutions to build up enough pressure to open the check valve, and then once it opened, the process started all over again. The manuals specify a certain length of tubing to be used between the crankcase and the check valve, for the OS and YS 91's it's 10cm. I noticed however, that they differ in their recommendations for the smaller engines, for the YS 50 it's 3.5cm and for the OS 55 it's still 10cm. I decided to try shortening the tubing on my 55 by half, to 5cm figuring that the reduction of air volume behind the check valve would allow it to build pressure more quickly. Long story short, it worked, the 55 now primes itself almost as quickly as the 91 and I may consider shortening the the tubing a little more.

I also like to use thicker walled tubing for the pressure lines if I can, as I believe that this helps as well.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You keed to build presure in the tank. You let the vent off at the oneway and when your about a inch or so from being full hook it back up and continue to fill till the tank sarts to swell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAU View Post
When filling op the tank, you close the outlet and then fill up some more.
This way you get some pre-pressure in the tank and this will start the egine qiucker.
Take care when you remove the pomp nipple because the fuel will come out again.

Frans.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default +1 on oneway

I flew my 91 speed yesterday and had a problem getting the tank to pressurize as well. I checked the tubing and blew air in the tank to see if I had a leak but it was okay. I took my oneway valve off and blew air threw/reconnected it and it fired right up after that. I assume my oneway valve was stuck closed, keeping the tank from pressurizing.
collegeboye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The fact that it eventually starts and isn't flooding on you, I am guessing your idle mixture is too lean. Richen the idle needle 1/8 of a turn and try that. Go another 1/8 turn rich on the idle if the first time didn't help or didn't help enough. If you have richened the idle needle a 1/4 turn and there is still no improvement, you have other problems. The idle needle on a YS 56/60 is quite sensitive. A 1/2 turn will go from too lean to start, to too rich to start.

If you really need to prime, the easiest way is to open the thottle to Full, MAKE SURE THE GLOW PLUG IS NOT POWERED, DOUBLE CHECK THE GLOW PLUG IS NOT POWERED , spin the motor over with the starter for about 5 sec, CLOSE THE THROTTLE BACK TO IDLE, start normally.

On a YS, the carb is an "on demand" style so trying to force fuel into the carb fuel inlet ( like on an OS 55 ) will not work.

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When you say "A pumped motor", are you talking about an engine with a built in pump? Like the OS 91HZ-PS?

Or, are you talking about an engine with the built in regulator?

The method to "prime" them is different.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ys60sr runs off backplate pressure but I found out I had a bad one way in my clutch and it starts better now. How do you prime a engine with backplate pressure

Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ys60sr runs off backplate pressure but I found out I had a bad one way in my clutch and it starts better now. How do you prime a engine with backplate pressure

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My OS55HZ-R is a bear. I got a different refueling nipple with sharper barb on it so it holds pressure. Disconnect the vent off at the check valve and when the fuel is a inch or so from the top hook the tube back onto the check valve and continue to refuel building pressure in the tank. You got to clap off at the pump side and be carefull when hooking up the line keeping it pinched off tight with your fingers.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My reply earlier in this thread was about how to prime an engine that uses crankcase pressure. The OP has not chimed back in to clarify if we are talking about an engine using crankcase pressure or a pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in