Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Whats wrong with my 500ESP? It kills every motor!

Flying R/C helis since 1997, but this problem sucks!
My 500 ESP Super Combo is 3 weaks old. The 500M motor got a lot of play after 25 flights (axial & radial).
I ordered a Scorpion 1600kv V2 motor last Saturday. All seems fine, it had a axial play of 1-2mm out of the box.
Yesterday, I saw, that the motor shaft has stress marks within the top bearings. I hope you understand, what I mean, my English is not very good.
The heli makes also squealing noise at medium head speeds.
I think this bearing dies.
Bad luck, or whats going wrong wiht my heli? The gear adjustments between main gear and pinion are correct.
There is always some white dust of the main gear inside the frame. Not much, but visible.
Yesterday, I reduced the axial play of the motor, ordered a pair of new bearings and a new main shaft.
Any ideas what to do?

Best regards,
Bert.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RAGE=- View Post
There is always some white dust of the main gear inside the frame. Not much, but visible.
Yesterday, I reduced the axial play of the motor, ordered a pair of new bearings and a new main shaft.
Any ideas what to do?

Best regards,
Bert.
Hu Bert, I think, the alignment between the mainshaft and the motor is not correct; there is some stress and rubbing some where. Try to realign the motor. Pay also attention when you align the motor pinion with the main gear, there must be a little space in between.
Good luck
R.Lim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Powerful motors and hard 3D is a recipe for worn motors. If you can find a counterbearing for your motor pinion, it will solve your problem.
Ken4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure the pinion gear is seated deep enough on the shaft so the flared part of the pinion does not contact the main gear. If your pinion isn't set deep enough it will eat at your main gear and that is where the white dust is coming from. Loosen the grub screw and press the pinion as far down as you can keeping the screw in the notched flat spot on the motor shaft. Then re set the pinion to main gear mesh so the main gear rocks back on forth with a bit of play between the gears. Check all the way around the grear by rotating the main gear and rocking the gear as you go around. Make sure you motor bearings are lubed with some oil and check to see if your bearings dont have slop in them.{ Repace if they do} Last thing to check is you main gear one way bearing , make sure the Hex socket screws are tight and that the one way bearing shaft has grease aound it. I would replace the main gear if it's been chewed up or worn down by the pinion gear. I hope this helps. Good luck
Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How are you snugging up the motor bolts? You could be introducing some angle or tightening up the mesh when you tighten them up. Did you recheck the mesh after you tightened up the bolts?

Make sure also tighten bolt 1 up a little, then bolt2, alternating back and forth till everything is fully tight. I've seen people tighten up one bolt all the way then work on the next one, this always seems to cause problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in