Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hating the Pro

Are you guys having any trouble keeping the tail assembly from rotating?

I just converted my 450 Pro Belt to TT because I'm tired of belt slipping issues and I can't get the tail piece to stay true 90 degrees to the frame.

I have the front pinned already and hate to drill a hole in my brand new tail piece but will if necessary.

Next I've smeared CA all over the mating surface of the boom and let it dry before installing the tail piece and if that don't work I reckon I'll drill it and pin it as well. The stock pin at the vertical stabliser has too much slop in it to hold the tail piece and unlike the belt the troque of the TT drive shaft wants to rotate the tail piece to the right.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not at all doesn't the pin through the tailbox clamp go through the boom? I don't see how it would allow it to spin. I run the upgraded aluminum pins though. Haven't ran the plastic one in a long time.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah mine is the plastic.

I bought all Tarot TT parts from gogo-rc. And that might be some of the issue.

Building the new Tarot boom up with CA made the tail piece hold but now I have a vibe issue. In my 4th pack with TT I decided to flip into IU mode that I fly 3D in to see how well it would do and my disk starts wobbling.

The first 3 packs I flew in slow IU mode for slowww graceful 3D with no issues other than the tail piece rotating.

I landed immediately and took it back in to check it out. The shaft had a slight bow in it and I knew that going in but I was hoping the the TT bearing would straiten that out enough to work without vibes but I guess its not happening.

This awesome metal boom holder works fabulous.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-Metal-...item1e8d4221f0

As well as the silver 450 Pro TT tail
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-450Pro...item4d19f6e8fb

Just have to get the vibes out now I guess.

I've read that some folks run 2 or 3 TT bearings in the boom to get rid of vibes in the TT .
Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only run one align bearing. The knock off bearing I didn't like.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may take the shat out and see if I can use a strait edge and bend the bow out of it.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
I may take the shat out and see if I can use a strait edge and bend the bow out of it.
Oh I'm using a carbon driveshaft. That probably helps

http://www.helidirect.com/helicopter...x-450-pro.html
Old 08-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah yeah those CF shafts look nice! I'll grab some up later.

For now with this aluminium shaft I want to fly tomorrow so I straitened it considerably and threw an extra bearing 4" behind the front bearing to keep vibes to a min.

I like TT for the ease of maintenance. It works fantastic on my Trex 550 V2 and hopefully I can get it working just as well with this heli.

The Tarot Aluminium TT boom holder allows for front gear changes without removing the boom holder from the frame which I suppose would also work with a belt if I happen to switch back.

With TT I like how easy it is to get the boom apart front and tail. A belt sort of holds everything together until you take every last bit of it apart.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah my pro flies terrific. Wiring is ugly there isn't a lot of room to hide things. But it flies good and it's cheap to fix.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Def try using two bearings in the tt. Aligns torque shaft is flimsy and any slight bends in it automatically starts causing vibes. Throw two on it to make all three sections of the shaft unequal to another, grab the tarot metal tail vertical fin mount and throw away the plastic one (the one that locks the tail casing in place) and get the tarot single piece boom clamp. That will get your tail locked it!

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you guy's using to fasten the bearings to the TT?
I used red loc tite on this aluminum TT.

Also do you grease the bearings before installation since they shouldn't come out for a while?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just used ca on the cf shaft haven't had any problems. It's been in there so long I forget if I put anything on the bearing. I sprayed 4d-40 in the shaft to make it slide in better but I don't remember lubing the bearing.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just flew after the heavy rains all morning and the extra bearing in the boom along with straitening the TT the best I could did the trick. It worked great in IU. Now just need to put on a new Dual Control arm to get rid of that slightly wandering tail as there is too much play in the tail.

I didn't think the Tarot boom holder would need to have the boom pinned but just in case I pinned it anyway to avoid an unnecessary crash.
Click image for larger version

Name:	450ProTT2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	605751
Pic of the tail

Name:	450ProTT1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	605752
Overall

Name:	450ProTT.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	605753
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I flew a few more packs and found out all my vibes weren't gone.
I had hit IU on an extinguished pack and just thought all was ok.

With this TT boom holder I could not get a decent gear mesh at the tail drive to save my life. It was way too tight so I had to keep filing the bolt holes in the frame farther backwards to where I could get a good smooth gear mesh. Even then I still had to run 4 pieces of receipt paper through the gear and lock it down in the frame. Finally smooth as butter there. I've never had issues there like that, once I couldn't get the gear close enough and had to file the slots forwards a tad after buying new side frames.

Also my tail piece rotated again so I went ahead and drilled and pinned that. Its cheap I had all the stuff and it will work from now on without issues whether I have the stock boom lock or not.. Click image for larger version

Name:	450ProTT4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	605836

I straitened the TT a little more while I had it out. Early this morning I had the boom jammed in too tight obviously causing more vibes. What I did to get that set right was to run one piece of paper through the gears at the tail and jam the boom in tight as I could get it and lock it down.

I have two packs in now and it seems to be doing fine. I'm still haven't tried 3300 yet though but I believe its going to handle it.

I'm starting to get my love back I'll just have to see how it keeps doing.

Name:	450ProTT7.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	605835
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know who makes the best rudder push rod guides? I don't like the stock ones at all, they could have done way better than those slip on deals with no set screw. I'd really like a two piece set with a bolt.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make a solid tail control rod out of a carbon tube and you don't need those little guides. I hate those things too, they're junk.

I buy the carbon tube at my lhs for about $6. Put the stock control into the tube with 5 minute epoxy.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
Make a solid tail control rod out of a carbon tube and you don't need those little guides. I hate those things too, they're junk.

I buy the carbon tube at my lhs for about $6. Put the stock control into the tube with 5 minute epoxy.
Do you have a pic of that mod? I'm not sure I understand completely how the CF rod goes together.

I may have found some of the problem with my tail blowing while I ran a belt. The tail blew occasionally no matter what I did before switching to TT and was still blowing even with TT. I don't have any trouble free flights out of TT yet as I'm still chasing vibes and need a boom brace mount.

I found completely disintegrated outer tail grip bearings. What that does under a load, the grips will slide out and the outer race that's left will try to ride up over the grip bolts and act like a grip brake.

Its kind of hard to spot this issue until you land with the tail locked down and won't move or if you happen to see one grip sitting 3mm out farther than it should. I look for this kind of stuff every flight because I hate unnecessary crashes.

I keep the 2x5x2.5 bearings to rebuild the grips but couldn't get those races out of the grips. I may have to heat them to loosen loc tite?
Meanwhile I put a brand new spare set of Align tail grips on and a new Tarot Dual Control tail.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm on the road currently so I don't have a pic, however it is pretty simple to do.

Buy a carbon tube (make sure it's a tube not rod).

Buy 5 minute expoxy

Take the push rod and insert it an inch or so into the carbon rod. Then add a little 5 minute expoxy onto the rod and in the tube. Slowly spin the rod into the tube and keep adding more epoxy. Get as much epoxy in as you can and don't get epoxy on the threads of the rod.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh boy this aint been my day.

I have not had much luck converting to TT. I have vibes from hell.

The first mistake was not buying a Gaui X3, the 2nd mistake was buying the Aluminum Tarot Boom holder, the 3rd mistake was buying the the Tarot Aluminum TT shaft. The Boom holder was ok but now it has a stripped bolt. I worked on that belted boom holder for 4 years and never stripped a bolt in that joker.

I can fix it by putting a bolt all the way through with a Tarot part made just for it.

I have straitened and straitened and straitened that damned TT. I have enough vibes to where its effecting my BeastX. It wants to roll right in IU. I thought I finally had it and I'll be darned if my aluminum rudder mount didn't break out of the helicopter in flight. The heli started spinning 4 ft above ground, I hit throttle hold, it settled softly in the tall grass and stripped my first front drive gear.

I don't know if I can deal with gears stripping that easily.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man that sucks. I never had THAT much trouble w my pro but did have a lil getting the vibes down. Have you thought about taking the metal boom holder off and putting the plastic back in? I too like using tarot parts but I mainly use them for non essential parts. For critical flight components I use align parts. Fs, ms, tt shaft, bearings etc. The one exception I have is the tt gears themselves. The white tarot ones are far more stronger than the black align ones. I personally think the black ones are a trick from align so that people will have to buy more of them.

Have you considered that your vibes might be coming from somewhere else? Just a thought...

I dont mean this as a punch in the gut kind of thing but yah... the gaui is a far better, smoother, stronger, & easier to work on heli. I love mine!

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The vibes are in the TT for sure. Spooling up Its smooth as a whistle without the shaft in. Plus I didn't have vibe issues before switching to TT.

I do have the stock TT boom holder ordered. I think the CF TT shaft will help vibes considerably. I have that ordered as well as some decent rudder link guides. I may try the CF rudder link too so no guides are needed.

So I can fly tomorrow and labor day, I have it switched back to belt. Its ready to go in the morning.

I ran a belt on it for 3550 flights, mostly trouble free but it got to where the tail would blow in the wind occasionally or sometimes just randomly in fast backwards inverted or tail down funnels. I don't think the belt design on this machine handles high performance well.

I did find that my tail outer tail grip bearings were completely disintegrated yesterday. I don't know how long they've been that way, I found that out after switching to TT. The tail kept getting worse and worse.

The tail got so bad I wouldn't fly above 2 feet. I landed with the tail grips locked completely. That's when I discovered that the grip bearings being shot.

That's been fixed now and I thought all would go well today but the vibes got me again.
They are still affecting my FBL unit.

The TT gears weren't stripped it turns out I need some more shims.
I have those ordered as well.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 09-06-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in