Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default $300 - Where do I start?

First off, I am a total newb to the hobby. I have a little Syma CH-47 helicopter that I can play around with, but nothing beyond that. I have also been messing around with a simulator, but nothing fancy like Phoenix.

Now I know that a simulator is very helpful, and I fully plan on getting one, but right now I'm just looking for suggestions for helicopters and remotes. I have a budget of about $300 to play with, so I'm looking for something decent. Another thing to consider is that I live in a smaller town and I do not have easy access to a Hobby Shop. I would need to drive about 90 miles to get to the closest one, so most of my shopping will be done online.

The one heli that really interests me is the Blade mCP-X RTF kit. I'd like something that I can grow my skills with. I know I'll likely be upgrading no matter what I get, but I want this initial investment to last as long as possible.

So what I'd like is some suggestions of other helis to consider, different options from just the RTF, and what parts I should consider having on hand in case of a crash.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
dahli.llama is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mCPX is a great choice. Built like a tank and not alot of damage when you crash it. Most of the times, none but you have to learn the goodness of Throttle Hold. I have one and love it. But I took a different road than you. I started out with a CX3 and learned orientations and contol skills with it. Then I went to a Trex 500 and then to a mCPX which has helped my larger heli flying skills considerably.

The mCPx can be a handful but is a great learning tool. A lot of people around here speak highly of Walkera helis. I've never flown one but they say they are good starter helis. Maybe some of them will chime in.

What ever you pick, have fun and let us know how you are progressing.

Craig
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There's a free simulator by a fellow Helifreaker here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=53245. It's based on a 450 but it gives you a good basic model. All you'll need is the appropriate cable to connect your Tx to your computer.
GreenCello is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCello View Post
All you'll need is the appropriate cable to connect your Tx to your computer.
I use that heli simulator at work with this interface --> LINK For basic hand-eye training it's okay - lots better than nothing.

I use Phoenix at home with my DX7

I also agree the mCP X is a great first choice for collective pitch heli.

With what I know now about radio's if you're going to invest in one, I wouldn't get anything less than a DX7 or Futaba equivalent. The DX7 can be used with the BNF version of the mCP X and it's really easy to setup.
Do it safely, do it often, and enjoy it. AMA #20703

Phreak Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I were you I would get a honeybee fp v2 or something similar. Get some training gear and a decent simulator like phoenix. I personally use heli sim rc. Its free and is enough to teach hovering orientations. When you buy a helicopter buy lots of spare parts because you will most likely break something and will be out a flying for a week if you dont have the parts, and its no fun waiting! Thats just what I would do.

Dylan
Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

try and find atleast a dx6i(you can usualy find them used, in good shape), and get the bind and fly mCPx!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info.

I think I will go with the Blade mCP-X. I'll look for a DX6i, but more than likely just end up with the RTF version.

Now that's out of the way, what hardware should I have on hand for spares? From what I've read, it sounds like extra blades and a feathering spindle are must haves. Is 1 extra going to be enough? I'll mostly be flying this in my backyard on grass.

Also, for dealers, is Horizon Hobby reputable? Is there a better/cheaper online dealer for Blade parts?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only worthwild upgrade parts would be a Micro Heli swashplate and some KBDD blades. The mCPx is pretty tough and can take a crash pretty well. I've had mine for about two and a half months and the only thing I have broken is the stock swashplate. I don't do any crazy 3D stuff. Learning how to use throttle hold before you crash will save you alot in parts.

Oh yea, buy some extra batteries. Hobby King has batteries of the mCPx for around four bucks a piece. I have ordered some and I'm waiting for the slow boat from China to deliver them. I have heard alot of good things about them.

Also, go to the mCPX forum and you'll pick up some great info about your new heli.

Have fun,

Craig
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

dogbones dogbones dogbones! did I mention dogbones!

its the one thing I loose atleast once a trip outside!

I spose I should try the wire tie trick, and the dab of hotglue helps!

oh and BTW there the links that go from swash ta blade grips!

as mentiond earlier the swashplate and "dogbones" are the only real weaklinks on the mCPx

+1 on getting more batts,http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...mcpx-connector there a bit more but should equal out in perf. and longevity

P.s. if you go RTF (which I did) make shure you get one that either has had are don't need the transmitter firmware upgraded. mine just spent a month on the road becuase it needed the mod!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks again!

@whickeykid: How would I know if it needed the firmware updated? This is what I'll probably end up buying(Horizon Hobby)

Also, do you happen to know what cable I would need to get the DX4e controller to work with a sim?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

hopefully some one else can help ya with a cord, as I fly realflite basic!

if your gonna order directly from horizon, then you should get an already updated one!

if you click on the red button in upper righthand corner of the link you posted, it well tell ya all about the 2 recalls!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
if you click on the red button in upper righthand corner of the link you posted, it well tell ya all about the 2 recalls!
Lol, didn't even see that one.

I actually ended up buying a DX6i remote, so now I just need the BNF copter
Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Swash to head links.....lots of 'em or tie em on. I've broken two plastic swashes in 2 weeks, MH is on order.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Handsome Rob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 2c: you'll have much more fun with dx6i + bnf mcpx. Firstly, stock tx is not good at all even if the mcpx will be the only model - no way to fine tune the heli. Secondly, with dx6 you can get yourself say some parkflyer plane later - tons of fun and not so costly as bigger helis.

Last edited by paul310; 08-02-2011 at 06:33 AM..
paul310 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Take your $300 and run as far as you can.. Trust me your wallet will thank you.. . But really welcome.. The mcpx is sweet. It's absolutely the best investment I have made in the hobby..
Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

if i get a RTF McPx and want to use a Dx6i later(that I purchase) can this be done without mods? or should I just get a Dx6I and BNF now?
rock8899 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

No mods, but why do you want totally useless tx?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul310 View Post
No mods, but why do you want totally useless tx?
It is not totally useless. It works as a buddy box. It will operate Phoenix. It's great for kids to handle (and drop). It will operate planks. It can use DSMX.

Perhaps you believe it is worthless because the curves cannot be adjusted to make the mCPx easier to fly.

What I really like about the RTF package is the fact that everything fits in one box. Now anyone can take a heli with them on the road and get more flight time. Just don't fly during the sermon.
To me, this forum is about the love of flying R/C helicopters. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of heli, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Respect one another, Try to pass on accurate information. Fly safe.
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pardon me for being too pushy. Hope that rock8899 now can make an informed desision :-)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man I wish the mcp x came out 7 months ago when I was just starting out. 4 helis later and I could honestly say that the mcp x is THE BEST heli I've owned. It's a real life simulator. I crash mine on a daily basis and as long as your quick with the throttle hold, most of the time you'll just snap the main gear back into place or pop links back in, dust it off, and go flying again. I learned a lot from flying this heli and it will make you a better pilot when you move on to bigger helis.

Personally I use the DX7. I bought a good used one in the for sale thread for $175 not too long ago. If you can stretch out your budget, I highly recommend getting one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in