Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Tail blade grip stripped screw heads

I just have to vent. I just finished destroying my tail blade grips trying to get them apart. I'm thinking now I should have left well enough alone. Everything was tight and smooth, but after watching Bob's videos () I thought it prudent to at least check for greased thrust bearings. Well, sure enough, no grease, but in the process I stripped the heads on BOTH screws trying to get them out. I managed to get one out by filing a slot in the head and using a standard screw driver, but in the process of filing the other one I slipped and put a big gash in the other grip.

Make that three stripped M2 heads so far, not counting 2-3 more that probably aren't going to come out easily later. Seems all the M2 screws have an oversized socket that NOTHING I have fits, not the 1.5mm that is supposed to work, not the 1/16" (1.59mm), nothing. If any real torque is required they strip. Makes removing loctited screws !@#$% near impossible. I checked and all 4 of my 1.5mm drivers are within 0.01mm, so it has to be the heads. The larger sizes don't seem to be as much a problem.

Anyone have any suggestions for avoiding this on my hastily ordered replacement?
p28driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya I'm right there with you I stripped 6 outa 8 on the bearing blocks and decided to use a bit less loctite after replacement. It is rather rediculous that the driver doesn't fit the fastener, but that seems to be the case on many different sizes. Ron at Heliprozsouth decided this was pure stupidity as well and started his own line of drivers thst actually fit (imagine that) I been thinking of investing but I don't know if he has all the sizes yet, havn't checked in a while. Now when I have to unscrew- If it's one with the washer that the head sits in- I start with some needle nose to break the loctite just enough to prevent strippage, then use the driver the rest of the way. Damn screw factory should get together with the damn driver factory and work that s__t out! A couple six packs later they might actually have a matching pair!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you cannot use black allen wrenches no way, now how, never ever.

get a good set of metric drivers and you wont stripp another cheap screw.

on a side note if you have a screw thats tough touch it with a soldering iron few a few moments and the screw will pop right out.

another tip you only need a little loctite, if its to thick you will strip screws
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I already figured out that the black ball drivers I had stripped easier than standard allen keys, and had gotten a pair of DuraTrax hex drivers from the LHS for the smaller screws. That's what stripped both heads. Like I said, the problem is with the screws, not the tools. And perhaps operator technique (not heating first)

I read on another post that the Align tools are slightly oversize to match their non-standard heads. If true, that's a stupid solution to a simple problem - use decent hardware! A guy at my LHS said he routinely uses a 1/16 hex driver, which is nearly 0.1 mm larger! That was too big on mine, but it tells me there's a lot of tolerance in these heads. I don't know if any tool will consistently work well.

I'll definitely try the soldering iron thing next time. I'm really going to dread trying to pull apart my replacement grip .

Anyone using alternative hardware? Torx anyone?
p28driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive been using the dynamite drivers and have not stripped one screw on 4 different helis and I have alony had to use a soldering iron once on some gforce main bearing blocks I used to much locktite and those 3mm bolts would not let go without a soldering iron.

I tried at first and knew if i kept at it theuy would have stripped for sure so i stopped hit the heat and they popped with force
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I paid $19 at the LHS for the Align screwdriver set and I use the black one for 90% of the screws on the heli. Haven't stripped one yet using that screw driver. I did strip several when I was using allen keys, especially the ball-end allen keys since they are a bit undersized.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
you cannot use black allen wrenches no way, now how, never ever.

get a good set of metric drivers and you wont stripp another cheap screw.

on a side note if you have a screw thats tough touch it with a soldering iron few a few moments and the screw will pop right out.

another tip you only need a little loctite, if its to thick you will strip screws
+100 !

Make sure you have a GOOD set of allen wrenches I

Wizzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the align set.
It is well worth it for the $20 in regards to the frustration of stripping strews.
I stripped several screws with another set before buying the align set (have not stripped a screw yet with the align set). I feel for you. There is nothing more frustrating than stripping screws (quickly escalates to throwing and screaming and broken parts - at least for me).
seanmil666 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in