Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Blade Tracking 101

You do know how to track your blade correctly... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

im like everone else in the world i dont know what im doing and i dotn really have no one to help me i managed to crash my mx400 before it got off the ground the blades are not tracking and i dont no how to fix it
wilesrevo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You should be able to look at your helicopter in a hover and see one blade. How does you heli compare to the one in the video?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it's hard for a first time pilot to track blades up in the air. Hovering can be difficult at first and trying to hold it in place while trying to track it can be daunting. I suggest either having someone hover the helicopter for you or having someone watch the blade track while you hold it in a hover, at least until you are comfortable.

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

no kidding, but i have my wife hold my heli down on the bar while i throttle up and eye ball them against a white wall......hey, shes insured.
halfassastronaught is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

before i could hover steadily i just did it on the ground. spooled it up to just before it gets light on the skids, and then look. so far, doing it like that hasn't caused problems, but now that i've nailed tail in hovering i do it the "right" way.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

For my lil' T450 I take the less technical approach. Hover it, if the tracking is out, land and do one turn on ONE of the the short links to the blade grips, noting which one I've turned. Hover again if its ok, then fine, if its twice as bad then land and wind the same short link two turns the other way and do a test hover again. That normally fixes it.
Rick Rotorhead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just put it under the pitch gage and get it perfect before i ever take it off
mattkreps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

With the T450, just getting the blades staticly perfect in pitch doesn't guarrantee perfect tracking I'm afraid. you have to see 'em in flight really.
Rick Rotorhead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned User

You know what I use my pitch gauge and set them as straight as possible at mid stick to 0 pitch and most of the time tracking is perfect.
steffgiguere is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here...I got a strange situation....after watching Bob Whites Vid on blade balancing I went to try it, Both of my blades (woodies for a HBK2) weigh the same but when I go to balance them I have to add 1g of tape to get it to balance. What do I need to do? Is the different weighted balancing tape?The clear tape was wrapped almost four times around the blade and IMO that seems way to much. Any help would be great.
Derrell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hi, Derrell!

4 times are not so much for HBK2 woodies really.
Seledtsov is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tape and Blade balance

Has anyone used Golf Lead Tape instead of 2-8 wraps of Vinyl tape? I have about a 50 foot by 1/2 inch roll someplace around. If used, where would it be placed, 1 in. from end, middle, top, bottom or leading edge of the blade? Use to use it to help balance the wheels on my 1/4 and 1/5 scale RC cars.
69daytona is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrell View Post
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here...I got a strange situation....after watching Bob Whites Vid on blade balancing I went to try it, Both of my blades (woodies for a HBK2) weigh the same but when I go to balance them I have to add 1g of tape to get it to balance. What do I need to do? Is the different weighted balancing tape?The clear tape was wrapped almost four times around the blade and IMO that seems way to much. Any help would be great.
that just means the cg on the blades is off. on a 450 this dose not need to be perfect
mattkreps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrell View Post
Hi Everyone,

I had blades that were way out of balance that came with my Raptor kit. I took the blades back to the shop and told the guy. He checked them over and said they were so bad, they were unsafe and changed them for me.
RappyChappy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Blade Tracking on BELT CP and the Pitch Guage

I'm rather confused...

I setup the pitch on both blades at 0 degrees mid-stick. Spooled the heli and tracking is bad. So, I turn the pitch control of the higher blade to make it go down. Test, then turn again until it tracks or almost tracks. However, when it does track, it turns out the pitch angle of the blade I adjusted is off about -2 degrees already or so at mid-stick!

To me, it would mean that both blades aren't angled the same and would affect flight, right?
stormtrooper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would, IF both blades were EXACTLY the same. Might be a difference in the airfoil shape, leading edge shape, one blade might have a twist in it, it might be warped to add camber. Lots of reasons that the measured pitch would not be equal to get them to track.

But when they are tracking properly, you are at equal EFFECTIVE pitch, which is what we really want.

BTW, what blades? If they are the yellow/black Align "Carbon" blades, you will find the tracking changes from day to day and flight to flight. Do yourself a favor and toss them out.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question UMM Tracking?

what exactly is tracking, how do you do it and why?
squirrel4207 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tracks as in railroad tracks, you want de train to follow de tracks..no?
Rollin_3z is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

BTW, what blades? If they are the yellow/black Align "Carbon" blades, you will find the tracking changes from day to day and flight to flight. Do yourself a favor and toss them out.
For a beginner, could you recommend a couple of good brands\models of blades...maybe both a wood and carbon suggestion? I had initially put the aforementioned blades on my list due to them being "carbon" and the low price, but your input has changed my mind. FYI, they will be going on a Furion 450 if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Jeff
mtnbike101 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in