Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Does the WOW brushless version make it less indestructible

Usually when you beef up one part of the system and not the rest, there is carnage.

People put CF blades on a 4g6 and the balls get ripped out of the swash instead of the blades getting busted.

If you have a brushless Genius CP - how does it do in terms of durability? Does the head blast apart when you crash if you aren't quick on the throttle hold? Or does it not make too muchof a difference?

I'd like to get the brushless version but the main reason I like this type of heli is the durability, same reason I haven't upgraded the MCPX.
ncostes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncostes View Post
Usually when you beef up one part of the system and not the rest, there is carnage.

People put CF blades on a 4g6 and the balls get ripped out of the swash instead of the blades getting busted.

If you have a brushless Genius CP - how does it do in terms of durability? Does the head blast apart when you crash if you aren't quick on the throttle hold? Or does it not make too muchof a difference?

I'd like to get the brushless version but the main reason I like this type of heli is the durability, same reason I haven't upgraded the MCPX.
If you crash hard enough it doesn't matter which one you have stock or BL. I have both stock & BL haven't had problem with the head missing up only maybe feathering shaft bending or usually I will tear up the canopy or break LG. I would get the BL motor . I will be going BL on the stock one as soon as I find the right motor. I already have C05 maybe go with a HP03S or HP05-2 alot stronger motors but we will see.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the BL version and crashed dozens of times. The only thing broken was the canopy and skids. It happens so quickly I can't hit throttle hold. Nothing in the head has been affected.
heliron69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the info guys. What about a brushless tail, is that necessary or does the stock tail do ok? I read on wow's site about using a new MCPX tail rotor, they say you can't buy it without buying a whole tail assembly, is that true?

Also, I see they advertise a "2012" edition of the Genius CP you guys know what that's about?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the info guys. What about a brushless tail, is that necessary or does the stock tail do ok? I read on wow's site about using a new MCPX tail rotor, they say you can't buy it without buying a whole tail assembly, is that true?

Also, I see they advertise a "2012" edition of the Genius CP you guys know what that's about?

Edit: added the below from wow's site...
http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkeragen...eorders-1.aspx
Quote:
Optional item we recommand is the Blade MCPX tail blade that Manuel Campos flew in this video. Unfortunately you have to purchase the entire tail assembly to obtain this latest extra large size tail bladestock, goto
http://www.wowhobbies.com/blh3502tai...blademcpx.aspx It is a directly plug and play. If you purchase just the MCPX tail blade, it will come in the older version which is smaller and the same size as Walkera stock. After you changed out the tail blade to the MCPX tail blade, you will have the exact configuration as the one Manuel Campos flew in this video.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Edit: added the below from wow's site...
http://www.wowhobbies.com/walkeragen...eorders-1.aspx
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
They are talking about using the mcpx V3 tail rotor blade but the only way to get one is to buy the whole tail motor assembly. I have a mcpx so I had a few V3 tail blades.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine flys fine with stock tail rotor. Right now I'm just sport flying. People have reported they are able to do mild 3D. If you can fly like Manny, then you will need the MCPX V3 tail rotor.
Wow has an upgraded tail assembly for MCPX, as replacement tail rotor they suggest using the CB100, 4#3B or the V100D01 as replacement rotor.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeh only canopy and skids really.
Ps if u get brushless get 240mah hyperion lipos they have heaps more power than stock.

If u use stock brushed setup walkera lipos are fine.

I use the brushed version for inside and bl for outside
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius as first CP heli

Planning getting a Genius as my first CP heli. Since it will be a while before I'm ready for 3D, does it make sense to pay the extra $$ for the BL version? Also, if I fly it in normal mode, will it fly like a FP flybarless heli? Thanks in advance.
kc282 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

FP and CP fly different, better really but easier to damage.

I would not bother with BL, it sounds like a while before you even want to flip it.
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi
I just got mine wow's brushless version. It flyes 1 minute on stock battery (normal mode). Is it normal?
Macias is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macias View Post
Hi
I just got mine wow's brushless version. It flyes 1 minute on stock battery (normal mode). Is it normal?
For brushless the stock battery is a waste of time most are using the Hyperion 240 with good results.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Last edited by Rafa's helis; 10-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Talking before I should. I didn't see 'bl'
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macias View Post
Hi
I'm getting 3 mins. with stock battery in normal mode. My TC is 0 -20-55-65-65.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliron69 View Post
I'm getting 3 mins. with stock battery in normal mode. My TC is 0 -20-55-65-65.
Thanks i'll try that.
Macias is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Wow told me there's no difference.
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=13
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yes

The answer to your question is YES. I've just converted my brushed to brushless Genius cp - and the new C05m motor is very powerful, so if you fly inside - watch out!!! The things break easily - main gear... I have had no problems with brushed - but now I can do 3D
By the way my tail is not holding. Even I tried everything.
emil_dimitrijevic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the brushless motor will tend to keep spinning if you crash or have a hard blade strike, but it hasn't seemed to hurt my main gear yet, but I've only went down maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 30+ packs I've put on the BL motor. Also, if there's a blade strike, the plastic blades seem to get a little more banged up. My tail doesn't hold too well either with hard collective changes. Going to be looking at a longer tail boom from wow soon, as well as a more aggressive tail rotor blade... Not sure which one to choose though.. I've heard some people say the cb100 blade is better, any truth to this? It does look a little better for tail holding.

In any case, there's not that much more to worry about if you go brushless.. You'll end up breaking much of the same things as before with the brushed motor.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, you should get more than 1 minute of flight time with the stock battery. In normal mode, I was getting only slightly shorter flight times than with the brushed setup. I'd still look at getting some of the Hyperion cx 240mah/25c batteries anyway, as try are pretty good batteries... Nice power with the c05 motor, and great charge rates (up to 5c).
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default :)

Lucky you Jon you've crashed 2 or 3 times I have been crushing mine 7 or 8 times per pack, believe it or not - I changed 2 servos and that's it. But with the brushless, I crashed it once today - and I needed to change main gear.
But - everything depends on type of flying. I am trying impossible things in a small flying area, so that's the reason. If you are flying it outside - then that's the other story I was able to flip it and fly inverted but with brushed, with brushless I cannot - the tail just doesn't want to hold
Cheers happy flying!
emil_dimitrijevic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in