Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New 500 Clone

Hey Folks

I've been reading the threads on various sites about the different clones of the 500 that have been popping up. I was looking for a less expensive way of getting a 500 class heli. i liked the trex, but getting that kind of money out of my better half for a trex was just not gonna happen at this time. I came across this http://cy-model.com/osc/product_info...products_id=38

I ordered it for 177 USD shipping included took alittle over 2 weeks to get here. First thing i noticed was the manual was almost identical to the trex manual, second after reviewing the build videos on this site i found the parts were packaged the same as the trex. so i loaded up the videos by finless bob, As i followed along with Bob i found the parts to be identical, with the partial pre-assembled stuff the same as in the video. i have gotten the head and frame together so far just have the tail to do now. only thing ive found wrong with the kit so far is the ball links, 4 short the rest long as with the trex, this kit had 4 long and the rest short. i have ordered the correct links from ready heli. the parts are identcal ecept for the logo which says Tarot in the same places where align has theirs. I comes with a fiberglass canopy black landing gear black skids CF Black frame, decent looking CF blades no motor or esc in this kit but you can add stuff to it on the couple sites i found it for sale. So if you like the trex and are looking for a less expensive way of getting one, i recommend the Tarot.

by the way there are a couple videos out there now (not in english) of Tarot build and flight tests, 3d too.

Great site! You guys make this hobby that much more enjoyable

ChiefGunner

BTY The parts are 100% compatible with the Trex, I havent seen many tarot parts out there yet, but if mine needs parts ill just buy trex or the after market stuff out for the 500.
ChiefGunner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This kit doesn't come with ESC, motor, and blades. If you add the cost up plus shipping, it would come close to a fiber glass version of the T-rex 500 in the US? At some places, you could even find a good deal on a carbon fiber version of the 500. To me, it doesn't worth it to save 20 or 30 bucks getting a "copied" version.
Thi-rex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi-rex View Post
This kit doesn't come with ESC, motor, and blades. If you add the cost up plus shipping, it would come close to a fiber glass version of the T-rex 500 in the US? At some places, you could even find a good deal on a carbon fiber version of the 500. To me, it doesn't worth it to save 20 or 30 bucks getting a "copied" version.
Yep
Old 05-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my ESP for essentially LESS than that, granted the cost of the electronics.
Not worth it IMO, but maybe if they start selling them for $50 or $60 for the airframe alone it would be.

Good luck to the OP though, and have fun no matter.
NotEnoughTime is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Hey Folks

I've been reading the threads on various sites about the different clones of the 500 that have been popping up. I was looking for a less expensive way of getting a 500 class heli. i liked the trex, but getting that kind of money out of my better half for a trex was just not gonna happen at this time. I came across this http://cy-model.com/osc/product_info...products_id=38

[...]
Very good hely. 100% Align spare parts. I have it with G01+9257, 3xH5245, Castle Creations Phoenix 80+Bec, Skorpion 1400 (+pionion 15T)

See my web-pages (manual, mounting, actioning...) about it here

You can save money using this hely with quality electronic parts (I do not agree Thi-rex).
If you use align electronic of combo Trex 500 (or similar) it is not so cheap (in this case, I agree Thi-rex).
inquisitore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta say, thats a great web page.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

hmm

ok folks this is my 2 cents and basicly why i bought this model

Tartot 500 CF helicopter with cf blades 177 USD
Align ball links (because wrong ones in my kit) 5 USD
Align 500 motor and esc combo 110 USD
3 Hitec 5245mg servos 135 USD

Total 427 USD

Align 500 esp kit with same stuff 620 USD

I have a 401 gyro and futaba tail servo and a 2,4ghz reciver already will have to get batteries

im doing it a bit at a time so it may even be less than above in the end because of sales ect... on electronics. as of now thats 200 dollars i dont have to squezze out of the wife and i get a 500 thats identical to the trex.

ChiefGunner
Old 05-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

A ESP kit can be had anywhere from $435 to $500> (right now on ebay if you check) and thru select stores. I would never EVER pay even close to $620 for a ESP kit.

Oh, and the ESP kit is TT and metal everything.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the ESP kit + GP750/520 tail servo for 650 shipped. Added my ar6200...put er in the air. Flys like a champ.

Ebay says $200 for the gyro/servo combo so basically I paid 450ish for the kit shipped I guess.
Rosebud6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why get a fake when the original can be had for the same price or less. Man up
Chief most of us have wives too
Sake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

We can talk about 1000 considerations about this....

But, where do U find a Trex500 kit with carbon blades, metal Head, carbon fiber, ..... (like Trex500Gf~) ..... worldwide shipped for $177 ?

I compare it with Trex500.... (see my album link, posted above...)
ehm.. I cannot post here the reply of the owner

PS: It is coming to me (next week), the Tarot 450 from CY.
All blu metal... beautiful!! 100% spare parts Align also..
inquisitore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Hey Folks

I ordered it for 177 USD shipping included took alittle over 2 weeks to get here. First thing i noticed was the manual was almost identical to the trex manual, second after reviewing the build videos on this site i found the parts were packaged the same as the trex. so i loaded up the videos by finless bob, As i followed along with Bob i found the parts to be identical, with the partial pre-assembled stuff the same as in the video. i have gotten the head and frame together so far just have the tail to do now. only thing ive found wrong with the kit so far is the ball links, 4 short the rest long as with the trex, this kit had 4 long and the rest short. i have ordered the correct links from ready heli. the parts are identcal ecept for the logo which says Tarot in the same places where align has theirs. I comes with a fiberglass canopy black landing gear black skids CF Black frame, decent looking CF blades no motor or esc in this kit but you can add stuff to it on the couple sites i found it for sale. So if you like the trex and are looking for a less expensive way of getting one, i recommend the Tarot.

by the way there are a couple videos out there now (not in english) of Tarot build and flight tests, 3d too.

Great site! You guys make this hobby that much more enjoyable

ChiefGunner

BTY The parts are 100% compatible with the Trex, I havent seen many tarot parts out there yet, but if mine needs parts ill just buy trex or the after market stuff out for the 500.
I might say something unpopular , but here goes...

If you can't afford paying the difference between an Align T-rex 500 and a clone, you probably can't afford to fly/maintain/crash a 500-class heli either...I would go for a 450 class heli instead...

My 2 cents...
Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with a clone because I wanted to pick my own electronics.
Wish Align would start sellen BB kits...........
jstcriusen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcriusen View Post
I went with a clone because I wanted to pick my own electronics.
Wish Align would start sellen BB kits...........

Barebone kits would be nice. Also for repairs....
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfeet View Post
If you can't afford paying the difference between an Align T-rex 500 and a clone, you probably can't afford to fly/maintain/crash a 500-class heli either...I would go for a 450 class heli instead...
My 2 cents...
So, if you can afford to pay it you should - even if you don't have too?

I've got a Flasher 500, 100% T-Rex compatible full metal with TT upgrade and a more powerful motor than the stock align for $260 shipped. Much better deal in my mind than the $435 to $500 for the ESP kit that NotEnoughTime mentioned. Now I've got $200 that I can spend on better electronics...

Clones have been good to me!
bwoollia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
So, if you can afford to pay it you should - even if you don't have too?

I've got a Flasher 500, 100% T-Rex compatible full metal with TT upgrade and a more powerful motor than the stock align for $260 shipped. Much better deal in my mind than the $435 to $500 for the ESP kit that NotEnoughTime mentioned. Now I've got $200 that I can spend on better electronics...

Clones have been good to me!
Did that come with $150 of servos? That is what the Align ESP servos would cost to buy, and probably sell for $100 at least if you got them in a ESP and decided to sell Brand new in box, so now your down to $50-100 left over. Lets not forget the DIRECT support you can get from others in the TREX 500 forum you are posting in.

What type of canopy did it come with? Can you post a pic and let others determine the quality and design related to the stock ESP? Thats near another 40 bucks for that.

ESC? What type of esc did it come with, and what are the programming options?

What type of blades did it come with? If they are CF, are they Align or some non tried and tested brand that may not be worth $20? Not saying Align blades are the shizz, but they are a better than decent blade as OEM.

Still IMO not worth the minimal discount you get for a 500 copy.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTime View Post
Did that come with $150 of servos? That is what the Align ESP servos would cost to buy, and probably sell for $100 at least if you got them in a ESP and decided to sell Brand new in box, so now your down to $50-100 left over. Lets not forget the DIRECT support you can get from others in the TREX 500 forum you are posting in.

What type of canopy did it come with? Can you post a pic and let others determine the quality and design related to the stock ESP? Thats near another 40 bucks for that.

ESC? What type of esc did it come with, and what are the programming options?

What type of blades did it come with? If they are CF, are they Align or some non tried and tested brand that may not be worth $20? Not saying Align blades are the shizz, but they are a better than decent blade as OEM.

Still IMO not worth the minimal discount you get for a 500 copy.
It came with the motor, GF blades and TT upgrade. Blade quality is OK, they balance and are straight, and for a noob like myself I wouldn't notice the difference of CF blades. No servos or ESC. I did not know that the ESP kit came with the servos installed. The canopy is of equivalent quality to the T-Rex 500, I can't send any photos right now as I am out of the country (see my avatar for design).

The direct support from this forum is applicable to my clone as the parts are 100% compatible (granted quality and issues may vary from different manufacturing sources).

The pro-Align comments on this thread have caused me to seriously re-consider my pro-clone leanings (I'm certainly not anti-Align). I chose my helicopter based on price, and a re-evaluation of the market (eBay in particular) leads me to believe that I still made the right choice. The least expensive ESP kit on eBay sold for $349 sans electronics (so no servos, motor or ESC), plus $50 shipping. My heli was $259 shipped, including motor. The kits are parted out differently so it's hard to compare them directly (more carbon in the ESP kit for example - but the GF version didn't seem any less expensive).

As far as I can see it, it's a lot easier to spend less money on a clone. Those of us who choose to purchase a clone have to understand that the quality may or may not meet the same standards that Align products have (and quality my vary between production runs, etc) and that compatibility may or may not be as advertised (my experience with quality and compatibility have been very good).
bwoollia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did the same thing when I bought my EXI MA450. Almost 100% compatible. And I got to pick all my electronics. I probably spent close to the same amount as someone who bought the Align kit, but I feel with the components I put in, made it a better bang for the buck. As for the 500, I just went with the ESP kit that came with gp750 and 520 for the tail as I didn't feel like waiting on separate parts for my build. To each his own and you'll enjoy it weather it says Align, Ford or made in china. I know I love the 500 for its size and power over the 450 but still put the 450 in the air to keep my skills honed (Its a fast little guy).
Enjoy and happy flying.
Rosebud6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTime View Post
A ESP kit can be had anywhere from $435 to $500> (right now on ebay if you check) and thru select stores. I would never EVER pay even close to $620 for a ESP kit.

Oh, and the ESP kit is TT and metal everything.
your right i forgot the esp has the TT upgrade, cheapest one ive seen is 509 on ebay but it comes with align servos, im going with hitec and maybe a scorpion motor.

if align made a bare bones kit i would probably have gotten that

as to the speculation on what i can afford, its just that speculation. I have serveral heli's including an align product. i personally am not into the name brand thing.

ChiefGunner
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfeet View Post
I might say something unpopular , but here goes...

My 2 cents...
That seems a little harsh. Although I own a trex 500 myself I think clones are great, they let align know that they can make the same crap for cheaper. Competition keeps prices down. Besides its all made in different countries anyways. Not like buying align is keeping jobs here. Root for the underdog. I bought a used trex at a good price, thats my reasoning.

josh mcormick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in