Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New Tx time, possibly. Penny for your thoughts.

Hey all! Hope you're all having a good flying season so far after the long winter.

I'm currently flying an older JR X9303 Tx (which was updated to a X9503 firmware) and have been contemplating a new Tx for awhile now. Originally I was considering a new JR, but since they've gone the proprietary road with their DMSS technology, it leaves me in a situation where I'd have to spend WAY too much $$ to swap out all my DSMX Rx's. Sadly, I wish they didn't make such a move, but that's marketing strategy for ya.

Anyways, I've contemplated the Spektrum DX9 and now even taking a hard look at the new DX18. Any thoughts on the 18 vs 9, both in firmware, options, feel, etc? I mainly would like a Tx that I can bind with all my current models, grow with the technology as it advances and be used for the long haul, as my 9303 has been for so many years.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, advice and impressions on these new Spektrum Tx's and any others I should be considering during my transition. Thanks so much!
KBDD, RC Booya, Switchglo, JGF, Castle Creations, Magnum Fuel
oteskate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DX9 and love it. I don't have a need for DX18 features, not to mention the cost is more than I wanted to spend. Although I hear the DX18 is nicer to hold, but I havn't had the honor yet.

This post points to a chart listing the features of the Spektrum Airwave radios. It is the only place I know of where you can compare the features of these radios. You may find it helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=1
ronj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the DX18 or the DX18 Stealth when it comes out.
I have the DX9 and I am not really happy with the gimbal feel or quality.
The DX18 is suppose to have better quality gimbals. Your 9303 will have had better gimbals than the DX9. Otherwise you might be better off going with JR and bitting the bullet to change out your receivers.
I am going to upgrade to the DX18 Stealth when I can afford it.
iKON DX9
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right now Jr has a deal that if you buy a radio they are giving on top of it 2 extra free recievers. So then if I have it right that would give you 3 recievers. They are doing that to help ppl with the change if they want to do it. Their new radios are really nice and work well
Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a JR 11x and DX9. The DX9 is an excellent value. Feature rich, can be used with all my FBL satalite setups and seems to be well made. I do slightly prefer the overall feel of the JR. Sure wish JR had not abandoned all of their faithful users.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think they abandoned the users. If you want to look at it that way I guess it is up to you. I don't think they had a choice in it as when the breakup occurred they were probably forced into using a different protocol. I am sure that horizon would have wanted a royalty for every radio sold using the spektrum dsmx protocol. Believe it or not the JR DmSS is way better and so are the receivers. I know it sucks as I was one that changed but it was the best move I did. Nicer radios. Nicer install with xbus. And all around nicer period. Sure some one is coming on here and calling me a fanboy but it was a move I don't regret
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

there is a "bridge" between the two protocols...
DSM2/DSMX and the new DMSS...

it is in the form of XG11 MV... it has the capability to swap modules. It comes with the DMSS module installed but if you search hard you can still pick p the DSM2 module... this will enable you to use both technologies with an awesome radio ...

gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I forgot to bring that up plus you can even use the old 72 MHz receivers and module
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the XG11MV:

Does model match work with the DSMX module?
(One big reason I will not use Futaba)

Does telemetry work with the DSMX module?
(Telemetry is the reason I got the DX9 vs the 11X)

How much is the DSMX Module?

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not absolutely positive but I think the answer is no on both. Someone might prove me wrong here tho. I might not be right
Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

No Model Match with a module.
No telemetry via module.

oteskate
I think your on the right track with a DX9 or DX18. They both have a somewhat different feel in the hands.I always advise if at all possible to get your hands on the candidates and handle them. Ive used both. I like both. The DX18 has nicer sliders/levers and the DX9 is slightly smaller feeling to me.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteskate View Post
I'm currently flying an older JR X9303 Tx (which was updated to a X9503 firmware) and have been contemplating a new Tx for awhile now. Originally I was considering a new JR, but since they've gone the proprietary road with their DMSS technology, it leaves me in a situation where I'd have to spend WAY too much $$ to swap out all my DSMX Rx's. Sadly, I wish they didn't make such a move, but that's marketing strategy for ya.

Anyways, I've contemplated the Spektrum DX9 ...
Make sure you feel a worn-in DX9 before you commit. You may decide that your JR 9303 is a much better feeling machine, even if it doesn't have the latest bells and whistles.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteskate View Post
Hey all! Hope you're all having a good flying season so far after the long winter.

Anyways, I've contemplated the Spektrum DX9 and now even taking a hard look at the new DX18. Any thoughts on the 18 vs 9, both in firmware, options, feel, etc? I mainly would like a Tx that I can bind with all my current models, grow with the technology as it advances and be used for the long haul, as my 9303 has been for so many years.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, advice and impressions on these new Spektrum Tx's and any others I should be considering during my transition. Thanks so much!
Well in looking at what you are talking about doing here if you are willing to spend the money for a dx18 the difference in price between the xg14 and the dx18 you could buy about 2 or 3 receivers plus right now till I think the end of June you would get 3 receivers with the radio. Now for sure I don't know how many you need. Maybe it is more than that. Also with that you get xbus which dx18 does not have that is very nice. Only one wire to hook up your reciever to and does have telemetry which to be honest I don't use but reciever pack voltage but that is me. A lot of ppl use it and it prolly is nice. It is a big decision but pencil it out good. I will admit I did make the switch and I myself don't regret it. It is a very nice setup
Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plus if you trade in your 9303 you can get $100.00 of the XG14.
$100.00 for your old 9303, plus 2 free receivers. Sounds like a win win to me.
iKON DX9
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Plus if you trade in your 9303 you can get $100.00 of the XG14.
$100.00 for your old 9303, plus 2 free receivers. Sounds like a win win to me.
That is not true you only get one or the other you cant do both.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDon View Post
That is not true you only get one or the other you cant do both.
Oops! I guess I did not read that part.
iKON DX9
Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would be really nice tho if you could
Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant help you in comparing the radios, but i will say that I love my dx18, radio feels great, very easy to program and will do more than I can at this point. I believe the only diff between the v1 I have and the v2 is voice. The 18 has sequence programming capability , I dont know if the dx9 has that ability or not but there are some instances where programming automatic delays is nice to have.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliinwy View Post
I cant help you in comparing the radios, but i will say that I love my dx18, radio feels great, very easy to program and will do more than I can at this point. I believe the only diff between the v1 I have and the v2 is voice. The 18 has sequence programming capability , I dont know if the dx9 has that ability or not but there are some instances where programming automatic delays is nice to have.
Im real happy with both my DX18G2(v2) AND DX9.
The DX9 has 2 independent sequencer routines and the DX18 has 5.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a jr 9593 tx and I'm looking to upgrade to either the DX18 or XG14. Like you, all my receiver are dsm compatible, so I rather stick with a dsm tx. My only problem is that I really like the way my Jr tx feels and operates.
JDubb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in