Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default you wouldnt believe it....

hey all,
thanks for all the advice recently with my upgrade! to get the tail esc to arm, i have to - ready for this - (disconnect tail esc from gryo 1st) plug in main esc to battery, let gyro arm,then plug in tail esc to soldered wires off the battery to seperately power it! let tail light come on then plug tail esc into gyro, then hold left stick and voila! she spins her tail!!!

now the horizon hobby guy thought i was nuts putting in all the electronics and motor from a b400 into the cppro. like 600 horsepower in a civic he said. should i drop my throttle and pitch curves from what i use with the b400?
for the tail, trim seems to increas and decrease speed much more than change directions! in the gyro menu, ive gone from 35% to 80%. none seem to hold the tail smooth! oh, and its now a single tail until i get a new 2nd tail- it started to smoke!

any dx6i settings with a brushless motor that works for a beginner doin hoverin and basic ff?
thanks all
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey.... is the positive wire to the tail esc disconnected at the gyro? If not, slide it out of the connector and try it again without the rewiring on the pad!
WickedDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What the best way to change the tail motor in a cp pro2 to use a brushless tail motor?
Do I need to use a different gyro, BL ESC, mixer ?
habendanio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by habendanio View Post
What the best way to change the tail motor in a cp pro2 to use a brushless tail motor?
Why do you want to go with a brushless tail? The stock tail setup (compared to the previous versions of the Blade CP) works great.

John
JohnM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by habendanio View Post
The optimum setup currently is

Medusa Research 12mm Afterburner 4000Kv
(Just looked.... came WAY down in price $29.99.... awesome motor)
CC Phoenix 10 or Thunderbird 9 Brushless ESC
GWS 3020 Tail Rotor or stock CPP2

No mixer, same gyro is fine. Better gyros make a big difference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Why do you want to go with a brushless tail? The stock tail setup (compared to the previous versions of the Blade CP) works great.

John
The CPP2 tail would work well because the brushed upgrade to it's predecessors worked well. However, All brushed motors burn out! Brushless motors, although initially more expensive to install, provide virtually maintenance free use and extremely long life.

With the money I've spent in stock and Brushed DD tail motors at $10 a pop, I could have gone brushless initially for about the same money. So if you're going to hop up a BladeCPxx and willing to spend the money up front, it's quite prudent to use the most effective setup.... wouldn't you agree?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

+1 for above! he's right! if i wasnt blowing up my 3in1's i would leave it stock, yet my stock cp pro is crap compared to your cp pro 2! i have added the gyro you have and a whole lot more- just to fly nice. yours is a big step up from the cp pro.
for brushless tail- you can read a bunch of other threads here about the upgrade. good luck
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have gone the brushless route in the past and could never seem to get it working as well as the stock tail works on the pro 2. The stock 2in1 and gyro setup seems to just work well together. Since I am using the stock pro 2 TX, I wouldn't even attempt to go with a brushless tail. You really need a computerized TX to tweak the brushless tail setup. I also believe, in general, brushed motors seem to start faster (better) than brushless motors and that is very important for a motorized tail.

John
Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedDragon View Post
The optimum setup currently is

Medusa Research 12mm Afterburner 4000Kv
(Just looked.... came WAY down in price $29.99.... awesome motor)
CC Phoenix 10 or Thunderbird 9 Brushless ESC
GWS 3020 Tail Rotor or stock CPP2

No mixer, same gyro is fine. Better gyros make a big difference though.

The CPP2 tail would work well because the brushed upgrade to it's predecessors worked well. However, All brushed motors burn out! Brushless motors, although initially more expensive to install, provide virtually maintenance free use and extremely long life.

With the money I've spent in stock and Brushed DD tail motors at $10 a pop, I could have gone brushless initially for about the same money. So if you're going to hop up a BladeCPxx and willing to spend the money up front, it's quite prudent to use the most effective setup.... wouldn't you agree?
I will agree with you that the brushless setup will generally be less expensive in the long run, however I have ruined some brushless tail motors in the past in crashes. The 3 wires off the back of the motor can are prone to getting damaged. It is best to cover them in Goop or the liquid electrial repair stuff.

John
Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The wire on the 12mm motors are fragile and are actually the wire from the coils. You have to be careful. I will either heat shrink them or spiral wrap and heat shrink them if I feel the need to do so..... lot easier to remove. I'm a really, really big fan of cable management! HATE messy wiring and placement! The less you see the better!

Last edited by WickedDragon; 05-01-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, they are the motor windings, hence if they get pulled out during a crash and a tail boom strike, the motor is rendered unusable....

John
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thats pretty sh%^&tty that a brushless could be that fragile.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the price we pay for demanding these tiny low weight motors. Check out the motors being used on the Walkera sub micros and that Ammo motor will seem like it is built like a tank
Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For real.... servo motors for mains! Not to mention the wiring... light gauge varnish insulated armature wire.

Slide a piece of 1/8" fuel line over the motor wires and heat shrink it....you'll be fine.... just be gentle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in