Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default XP12a and 3a BL-heli programming?

Hi guys,
Expecting an XP-12a and XP-3a in the mail shortly flashed with BLHeli (by Dylan) and I'm just after recommendations on whether I need to do any programming, and what setup I should use. Or are the defaults fine to get started?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Defaults are fine to get ya started.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers Bee
Out of interest what can I expect from the defaults? If I set, say, a flat 80% throttle curve what will it do? And do ya need to tell it your throttle range first?

Thx
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It kinda depends on which version of BLHeli you have flashed. I haven't kept up with the changes, but on my version, the default setting is tx gov mode. That means that when you go through the arming sequence, the throttle setting seen by the esc during arming will be used as the rpm the governor tries to maintain. I'll try to explain that a bit...

Arming sequence:

1. TH on while plugging in heli battery. Reason: ESC needs to see 0 throttle signal to start the arming sequence.

2. TH off. At this point, whatever throttle the ESC sees is used as the target throttle speed for governing.

3. TH on: Finishes the arming sequence. Flipping TH off at this point will cause the motor to spool up.

So to change the target speed, adjust your throttle curve to what you want prior to going through the arming sequence.

The "Sweet Spot" for governing depends on too many variables to just say "Use xx% throttle". Experiment with different values and find what works best for you. On my HP05s, I like between 80-86% for outdoor high power flight. For indoors, I go 50-60%. At around 60%, I would estimate the head speed is just about the same as a stock brushed motor, but the power is substantially better.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
It kinda depends on which version of BLHeli you have flashed. I haven't kept up with the changes, but on my version, the default setting is tx gov mode. That means that when you go through the arming sequence, the throttle setting seen by the esc during arming will be used as the rpm the governor tries to maintain. I'll try to explain that a bit...
Well.... For all versions of BLHeli gov TX is the default mode. In that mode the throttle during arming sequence do not influence headspeed. It is only the throttle value when running that sets headspeed.

However, in gov arm mode (which is not default), the max throttle during the arming sequence will set headepeed (and throttle is ignored while running).
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for clearing that up, Steffen.

So does the throttle value seen during arming influence anything at all in Gov TX mode?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
So does the throttle value seen during arming influence anything at all in Gov TX mode?
Nope. Nada!
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys that makes perfect sense, thankyou very much
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got this setup working in my friend's mcpx, thanks to everyone's advice on helifreak we got it installed without a hitch!

There is one thing I'm not clear on about how BLHeli works that I couldn't find in the manual..

When you start it up in the default Gov TX mode, say I set my tx throttle curve to 60%, the BLHeli Gov target becomes 60% of what? Is it 60% of the max headspeed? 60% of the maximum speed of the motor? Just curious how it determines the max, since we didn't have to teach the ESC max throttle or tell it what motor is attached.

Cheers
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Learn something new everyday. Didn't realized that applied to Gov Arm mode only. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
Nope. Nada!
Chris Gardill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler888 View Post
Just got this setup working in my friend's mcpx, thanks to everyone's advice on helifreak we got it installed without a hitch!

There is one thing I'm not clear on about how BLHeli works that I couldn't find in the manual..

When you start it up in the default Gov TX mode, say I set my tx throttle curve to 60%, the BLHeli Gov target becomes 60% of what? Is it 60% of the max headspeed? 60% of the maximum speed of the motor? Just curious how it determines the max, since we didn't have to teach the ESC max throttle or tell it what motor is attached.

Cheers
okay, finally bit the bullet and read the 74! pages in the BLHeli sticky. All is explained, you just gotta be patient!

Seems the values are hard-coded based on the throttle input. The second post links to an excel spreadsheet that gives some standard values, and there is a good explanation on this page:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...390517&page=13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in